Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2005, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Freshwater Fish for sale.........highly predatory........

African Pike: He's about 7-8" long and will get up to 15-18" in home aquaria. He currently eats frozen krill, frozen silversides, and the occasional pinkie mouse. He has teeth so don't taunt him or you'll have a nasty bite to deal with Here he is eating a pinkie......... first $50 takes him. BTW: If a fish is small, he will try to eat it no matter if he can or not. He WILL try.

Senegal Bichir: He's about 7" long and will only get up to 12" in home aquaria. He currently eats frozen krill and frozen silversides. When he is full grown he will eat the occasional pinkie too. This is an interesting predator because it is a primitive fish that breaths air. Here he is..........sorry for bad picture quality.........first $15 takes him.

I also have a ropefish that eats frozen krill. I don't have a pic of him, but he is currently 9"-11" and will get 24" in home aquaria. It is rare that he will reach his potential size because he is a very slow grower. He also feeds on frozen krill. First $10 takes him.

$65 will take them all.

I can arrange a meeting if you are near Florence.
Old 06/29/2005, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Nice pike... makes me miss my two tigerfish. They were darn cool and darn expensive. Long story on their demise, but I haven't spoken to that college roomate ever again.
Old 06/30/2005, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

I would have killed him. What species were they?
Old 07/01/2005, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Bump

I need to make room in my tank for a brackish set-up
Old 07/01/2005, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Also I will trade them for a Crested Gecko
Old 07/02/2005, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

In all honesty, I am not positive of the exact species of Hydrocynus they were. Identification can be quite troublesome on the tigers as not much is written about them regarding husbandry. I know that KenCo sold them several years back for a few hundred bucks a piece. I lucked up and found them sitting at a wholesaler in Atlanta's warehouse. If I remember right, I gave $75 a piece for them, and that was at the wholesaler's. It seems that my roomate had a wee bit of a party while I was out of town for the weekend. When I got home, I smelled the tank before I saw it. I knew something had gone on with my tank, but it took a couple of weeks before she confessed. The story I got was that a beer had gotten poured in. Regardless of what it actually was, the result was the same... total system destruction. I have never seen tigers available again.
Old 07/03/2005, 07:58 AM
Troll

I wouldn't think a beer would have caused that much damage.
Old 07/03/2005, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Not one beer in a large tank. I can tell you from experience that a bottle of beer in a SW predator tank doesn't do anything. The skimmer went nuts and the algae had an outbreak. The pH went down to 7.9 for a day. That was it. Nothing died...that was because my buddy ran away too fast to catch him!

speakeraddict
Old 07/03/2005, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

That's why I said supossedly. My guess is that either some of her friends really tried to get the fish drunk, or someone got a bit sick. I really didn't expect to get a straight answer from her. Regardless of what it was, the end result was the same.
Old 07/06/2005, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Am I the only one on here that keeps freshwater preds?
Old 07/06/2005, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

the crickets think he is a predator

Unless you count my White's Tree Frog - I picked him up in Foley at Amazon River over 3 years ago and he has ate alot of crickets since then.

Old 07/10/2005, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Price drop!!

$50 takes them all.
Old 07/12/2005, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Price drop again:

A-Pike: $40
Bichir: $10
Ropefish: Free to whoever buys one of the above

$45 takes all three.
Old 07/14/2005, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

They're $20 now for all three. I really need to get rid of these guys so I can make room for some AL natives.