Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/10/2005, 11:27 PM
Moved On

CB shrimp in reef??

I had a CB shrimp in w/ my seahorses for a long time...he did perfectly fine w/ them for quite some time...then recently I noticed he started harassing them and my pipe...needless to say I pulled him out of there today finally and have taken him to my father's house...he has a 300gal tank, but I'd rather not put him in there if he's going to harass anyone else. I've read how they get more agressive as they get bigger.

He was an impluse buy way back when I was still learning, and I should have known better, so in part it was my fault...but I'm very peeved now that I've read more about them..b/c the LFS guy (who was supposed to be a good aquaintance) told me he would forever be harmless...

Anyhow, his 300 has a cleaner shrimp, chromis, hawaiian cleaner wrasse, false perc. pair, orange shoulder tank, flame hawk, marroon clown pair and plenty of various corals...if he's going to kill or harass anything I'm not going to put him in, but I would like other's input first.
Old 07/10/2005, 11:31 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

In that big a tank the CB shouldn't cause a lot of trouble.I have a pair of them in my 125 and I have never seen them harass a fish. My cleaner shrimp has finally disappeared but I don't know if it was a snack or just died.
Old 07/11/2005, 12:18 AM
Moved On

how long did you have your cleaner though?
Old 07/11/2005, 12:33 AM

It would have been over a year. I added a CB at the same time I got the cleaner. after a couple of days I never saw the CB again so about six weeks later I ordered another one thinking the original died. The day after I added the new CB I thought I was seeing double, suddenly I have 2. The original must have spent it first several weeks behind the live rock and only came out when he/she found a boy/girl friend. I lucked out cause CB will feither pair up or fight to the death. I think as long as they get plenty of food CB's are not all that agressive. I could see the problem with dosile slow moving critters but if they are well feed I don;t think they will get really enthused about chasing down a snack.
Old 07/11/2005, 12:54 AM
Moved On

do you directly feed your CB's? if so, what do you feed them?
Old 07/11/2005, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I think as long as they get plenty of food CB's are not all that agressive.
Exactly.

They eat everything from raw to prepared. You can target feed but basically they are scavengers.
Old 07/11/2005, 01:07 AM
Moved On

not trying to be redundant asking...but wanna make sure I have a consenesus here before I drop him in...(b/c it was a PITA getting him out of my tank)...but you guys think it would be ok in the 300 even w/ the other things I have listed? I just don't want to plop him in tomorrow only to have everyone tell me "oh, no, we just said he COULD be ok, we don't suggest it..." lol
Old 07/11/2005, 11:14 AM

If you dad had small ornimental shrimp like anemone shrimp I'd say no. I think a cleaner shrimp is large enough and the tank is large enough that it is a good bet the two can live together fine. I don't target feed my shrimp except for some carnivor pellets once in a while and the occasional shrimp cubes I feed the tank..
Old 07/11/2005, 12:34 PM
Moved On

oh! I had completely fotgotten about the decorator crab....he wont cause any problems w/ the cb will he? or rather, visa versa?
Old 07/11/2005, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

I have had a CB in a 125 for over 3 years. He is in with 2 cleaners and a pistol. The two cleaners have been in there about 2 years. Never really seen any aggression except the occasional chasing them away from his cave. No problems so far.
Old 07/11/2005, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I have a CB in my reef tank and he is doing great. Not harming or picking at anyone.
Old 07/11/2005, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

I feed my CB sinking shrimp pellets and have had no problems with him feeding them is what I think will lessen the likily hood of them becoming aggressive . Though anything is possible I just drop them in front of his little rock and the next day the pellets are gone . So 6 months after I got him the critters are all still here and the shrimp is fine too. God luck
Old 07/13/2005, 02:04 AM
Moved On

btw... how big do they eventually get? I thought mine was still a baby...until I saw another one in a different LFS today. The one I saw was only about 1" long....mine is almost 6" long. how much bigger is he going to get?