Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2005, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

72 gal bow front

I currently have a 29 Bow freshwater for about 2 years. Recently got a killer deal on a 72 gal bow front from a friend. How does $75 for tank, matching stand, glass top, some type of filter system and several books sound. It also had 4" of crushed coral and smooth stones which I cleaned from the tank and threw out yesterday. The tank is filled with hose water in my garage to test for leaks right now.

I've been doing plenty of reading through the forum and am just looking for some ideas to my setup.

I am planning on having the tank professionally drilled to avoid a siphon style skimmer. Not sure what size holes are needed to do an internal skimmer. Planning on doing a single center skimmer design. This is due to the Bow layout. There is a lot more real estate in the center of the tank. I'd like to get some opinions or see others setups who have drilled similar sized tanks.

I'm in no hurry to set this up so I'm going to take my time with all the components. I want to have everything contained to the cabinet if possible.

Currently I know I need:
-lighting setup
-sump design w/fuge and return pump
-inlet/outlet for drilled tank design
-DIY skimmer of some type
-live/base rock + sand

Any advice on the above topics is appreciated. I'll keep this post updated with my progress.
Old 06/13/2005, 12:08 PM
Tang? What Tang!

I dont know if the bottom can be drilled since it is most likely tempered glass, so you will have to have the back glass drilled toward the bottom and an overflow made for the tank.

For rock and sand, I would go with about 75lbs of sand and around 120-150 lbs of live rock.

Lights will depend on what you would like to keep.

Here is a great site to see different style sumps and ideas on making your own if you would like SUMPS

A good skimmer will also depend on the sump design, for a 72g a Remora Urchin would be a good one.

and

TO REEF CENTRAL
Old 06/13/2005, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
I dont know if the bottom can be drilled since it is most likely tempered glass, so you will have to have the back glass drilled toward the bottom and an overflow made for the tank.
Yes, the bottom is tempered so I will be drilling the back. I am unsure of the best location/size to drill though.

Thanks for the links.
Old 06/13/2005, 01:16 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

This is just my $.02, but IMHO....

120 to 150 lbs of LR seems like overkill for a 72 bow. Unless it's really dense rock you won't have much real estate left for anything else. If you were using something like Fiji or Uaniva I would say aound 100lbs should be fine. I've got 105lbs of rock in my standard 75g with 80lbs of Aragalive (sp?) and I couldn't imagine any more rock in there.

Lighting will depend entire on what you want to keep, but I was recently brought over to the world of MH lights from always having PC lights and man what a difference! I still love my PC's, but MH gives you a lot of flexibility on tank/coral inhabitants...unless you want things like SeaHorses that don't like the high intensity lighting.

I don't run sumps currently, so I can't comment on that front.

BTW...sweet deal on the tank!!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06/13/2005, 02:42 PM
Ferret Maximus

NICE DEAL ON THE TANK!
Old 06/13/2005, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Yeh, the folks I bought it from inherited it from a relative and it had just been taking up space in their basement. They are moving in a couple weeks and just wanted to get rid of it.
Old 06/15/2005, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

OK, I spent some time working on my sump design. Here is draft one, what does everyone think?

Old 06/16/2005, 08:50 AM
mmmmmm Fish

Sump design looks ok to me.

Make sure you install the sump/fuge prior to filling the tank.

I have the same 72 gallon bow setup and I could only install a 15 gallon glass tank for my sump without removing the front or rear center brace for the stand-- I was a little nervous doing that with 800 pounds above it.

Good luck.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen
Old 06/16/2005, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. I am considering modifying the stand to accomodate this sump. Possibly remove the rear center brace and have 2 braces on the outside of the opening.
Old 06/16/2005, 10:44 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Another comment about the rock: I would say even 75 pounds would be fine. I have 45-50 pounds in my 40g, and I can barely find space to put all my rocks when I aquascape.

And make sure you get your tank drilled and have a nice sump.
Old 06/16/2005, 12:41 PM
CTARS Member

I have a 72 bow with 135+ of rock. I have plenty of room to aquascape. Click on the red house and you can see a pic of mine - it is a couple of months old and I have added several new pieces.

I also have a hang-off-the-back siphon to my sump. I have never had a problem. I use an Americal sump with a Seaclone skimmer. I would upgrade the skimmer if I was keeping the tank. I have a Coralvue light bar with 2 65W PC's, 2 65W Attinics and 3 moonlights. No clams or SPS as I have no Halides.
Old 06/16/2005, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Doesn't the density of the rock make a big difference? For example, one type of rock 75# may do it and another less dense rock would need 125#?

What type of rock are you using hans?
Old 06/16/2005, 01:58 PM
CTARS Member

You are right, the type of rock makes a difference. I think I am using Fiji rock, I will check when I get home.
Old 06/27/2005, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

OK, here are some pics...

This is a shot of some of the 100lbs or so of crushed coral, silicone, smooth garden stones and other assorted junk I cleaned out of the tank.

All cleaned up and testing for leaks:

Some other stuff that came along with the tank. Can anyone give me any info on that filter? It still had water in it from a few years ago.

Old 06/27/2005, 04:51 PM
Moved On

I would say since your in no hurry go with 75lbs of dry base rock and 50lbs of some nice premium LR. Wait about 2 months and you'll never know the difference, well you will notice the savings in your wallet but all the rock will look similar.
Old 06/27/2005, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Filter is a Fluval canister I believe. Made by Hagen. Don't know too much about them.
Old 06/27/2005, 05:10 PM
CTARS Member

I would think twice about using crushed coral. It seems to be a nitrate sponge. You are better off with some type of sand.
Old 06/27/2005, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hans1976
I would think twice about using crushed coral. It seems to be a nitrate sponge. You are better off with some type of sand.
I will be using sand. The crushed coral was already in the tank when I bought it. Got the bulk out with a dust pan and then sucked the rest out with the shop vac. Now the tank is MUCH easier to move around.