Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2005, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Off topic, just got seopenaed(god i suck at spelling)

So i just had 2 state patroll officers, stop by my house and seopena me to testify in court. Scaryiest thing of my life, i witnessed a car accdident last summer, and i guess one of the people in the car hit, died on the way to the hospital, so its a manslauter case. And i have to testify for 2 days. I was right beheind the car that rad the right, and rammed the car, so i stopped and called the fuzz, and i guess i was the only wittness. They said i was going to have to get prepped and everything. just wondering if anyone else has gone through anything like this?? or have any expierence, not quite sure what its going to be like, and want to get a bearing on everything so im not suprised. thanks
tim
Old 04/27/2005, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I had to testify in an arson case years ago. First, it's not like tv. I met with the district attorney and we went over my testimony. When the court date came, as a witness, I had to sit in the hallway. I was not able to watch the proceedings like the witnesses do on tv), I just sat there and waited to be called. When I finally was called, i was on the stand for about 15 minutes and that was it. Overall, very time consuming and extremely boring. When the court date occurs, take a book, Gameboy, anything to pass the time. You'll need it.

Also, the judge will not allow either attorney to be rude, abrupt, or treat you in a poor fashion (again not like tv).

To find out what ever happened with the verdict I had to constantly call the district attorney's offuce. They won't proactively call you. Once you testify, from their point of view, they are done with you.

Would I do it again if I was a witness? In spite of how much a pain in the a$$ it was, absolutely. It's part of an individuals responsibility.

One last thing. It is spelled Subpoena
Old 04/27/2005, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

thanks on the spelling, i was way to lazy to open up word, or even google it, or even pull it out and read the damn thing. thanks for the info, did they call you for 1 day, the officer told me that i would be tetifying on one afternoon and then start again the next morning. is trhat overkill?? like i'll be done bu tthey want me to keep my time open?? thanks
tim
Old 04/27/2005, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

I was only supposed to be there for one day but ended up being there for 3 days. The lawyers kept change the witness list, asking for recesses, questioning witnesses that were called before me for longer than they had planned. Overall, it was a best guess on their part as to how long I was going to be there. Turned out they were pretty wrong.
Old 04/27/2005, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

On a manslaughter case, they will schedule it for a couple days, just to be safe. You certainly won't testify all day both days. I would guess 2-4 hours, tops. They may make you stay after you are done, though, just in case they want to recall you for more questions.
Take some books, gameboy, etc, like BrokenSpoke said, and prepared to be bored! The DA's office should prep you a few days ahead of time regarding the types of questions they are going to ask you, as well as what to expect from the defense attorney.
Don't get too psyched out about it going to trial though, most (probably over 80%) trials are cancelled because of a plea agreement, or at least postponed for motions, or scheduling conflicts. There is a really good chance that it won't actually go on the date, but keep the days available just in case. Make sure you call the day before and verify that it is still scheduled. Sometimes they drop the ball and forget to notify people if the trial is called off.
Have fun! (as much as you can!)

"All right, let's not panic. I'll make the money by selling one of my livers. I can get by with one." --Homer Simpson
Old 04/27/2005, 08:50 PM
reef addict

you can borrow my psp.....oh wait I dont have one

sorry Im still burt up about it.
I had to do something similar, took 2 days whe I did it. but rplank said it all, its about how it will go down.
Old 04/27/2005, 09:56 PM
R.I.P

Theres a job for you,being a witness to accidents.
Old 04/27/2005, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

no doubt, got a job actually, just too damn lazy to change all my stuff. thanks for the imput guys, i figure i'll be fine, i got a call from the DA today, i have a full day of prep, but the DA is taking me out to lunch so i guess its worth it. Just doing my civil service
tim