Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2005, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Those are banana slugs, the fine mascot of the University of California at Santa Cruz. Look at 'em go!

They have a bizarre and interesting sexual process that would very much interest a gutter-minded chap such as yourself, RichT!
Old 04/23/2005, 08:53 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

Look at them go indeed.............
Oh yea..........nice project ReefMister. I will be joining the Lazy club as soon a I can find a couple barrles such as yours.

Join the New Revolution: Howard 100 & 101

Hey, detritus happens.
Old 04/23/2005, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

ReefMeister2: That’s it!!! I’m going to Home depot tomorrow. Can I get the thorough list of the parts I will need to get? What kind of containers are those and where can I get them? (don’t remember seeing anything like those at home depot or lowes.) I like the fact that they are semi transparent to allow for easy water level indication. What size ball valve is that and how is it connected to the container? etc. etc… Thanks
Old 04/24/2005, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

He mentioned earlier in the thread that you can get the barrels at a carwash. They're used to transport detergent and the manager may give them to you if'n you ask nicely.
Old 04/24/2005, 04:10 AM
Just an Average Joe

They are both standard 1" bulkhead fittings on the barrels with 1-1/4" PVC ballvalves and fittings used as needed. The PVC flex pipe is 1".
I will have to post the detailed parts list later...right now, I'm working on Episode II as we speak.
Old 04/24/2005, 07:00 AM
Just an Average Joe

Alrighty fellas

Episode II is out:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=579223

Be forewarned, I was up 'till 5:00 AM doing this thing, so expect some senile-insomniatically-induced-silliness
Old 04/24/2005, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

About the barrels (55gal drums), I got mine from a local farm supply store. The name is Rural King, but I'm not sure if they have them in different parts of the country. Might try other places like tractor supply, and stores like that.

Also it would be very easy to find out how much water you have in even an opague barrel. All you have to do is get some airline hose and drill you a small hole in the side of the barrel at the very bottom. Feed you a little airline tubing in there and then silicone it up really well. Then just fix it to the side all the way to the top. (you have to leave the top open so the water can rise in the hose, so make sure it is fixed on there properly. You would hate for it to fall off and drain your barrel) Another way to keep this from happening is to drill a hole near the side, but on the very top of the barrel and feed a little hose back down into the barrel. then silicone this up really well. From then on when the water rises in the barrel it will also rise in the airhose. You can then label the amount of gallons on the side of the barrel close to the airhose. Just an idea for the barrels. -Indiana
Old 04/24/2005, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Excellent

Well done Your level of laziness is impressive .
It really is a change of pace to get great threads like this that one can unwind and have a giggle .
Thats for the inspiration problem now is i cant be bothered getting of the couch to do a thing !!
Mia
Old 04/25/2005, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

ReefMeister2,

Almost finished on the mod to eliminate cleaning !!!!!!

Probably test it on Wed.
Old 04/25/2005, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

indianafishkeeper: Thanks! I did a search for Rural King and come to find out there is a Rural King supply store only about a half hour away from here. I liked the airline tubing idea as well.
Old 04/25/2005, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by avgjoe
indianafishkeeper: Thanks! I did a search for Rural King and come to find out there is a Rural King supply store only about a half hour away from here. I liked the airline tubing idea as well.
The barrels were pretty cheap too. I picked mine up for $10 a barrel. It says on the top of the barrel not intended for potable water, but they are ok. I think plastic is plastic, and I've been mixing salt in mine. With a half an hour drive I think I would still call in advance though, to make sure they have them.
Old 04/27/2005, 06:49 AM
Just an Average Joe

Re: Excellent

Quote:
Originally posted by miareefer
Well done Your level of laziness is impressive .
It really is a change of pace to get great threads like this that one can unwind and have a giggle .
Thats for the inspiration problem now is i cant be bothered getting of the couch to do a thing !!
Mia
Thanks Mia,
I do try to add my own sarcastic twist to these threads
After spending so much money in this hobby...laughter helps to soften the pain!
Old 04/27/2005, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

SUCCESS! well almost..........the siphon breaks at the elbow leaving 5-6 inches of water. Ill raise the trash can 6 inches to solve that. Other than that, filling the container to the set level is the hardest part

As you can see, I used my existing trash cans and a couple of HDepot parts.....we don't want spend too much money acheiving true laziness!!!!
Old 04/27/2005, 12:10 PM
Just an Average Joe

AhhhHmmmMMM,
Master Lazy PROUD of Young Jedi he is.
No think....Dooo!....HmmmmMMM!
Old 04/27/2005, 05:30 PM
Ozone Sniffer

How about a selector switch labeled 5g, 10g, 15g, etc that matches up with float switches at the correct heights in the lower mixing tank. Then a solenoid valve to fill it to the correct level. The desired float switch gets made, then stops the fill.
I just KNOW I would walk off and leave the durn valve open too long You know, too lazy to stand there

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 04/27/2005, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

PMed you Meister

--Dan
Old 04/27/2005, 08:47 PM
Just an Average Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Dannyboy17
PMed you Meister

--Dan
There's no messages in my PM box,
are you sure you sent one to me?
Old 04/27/2005, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Yep. Thats weird? I was wondering, since you are good at DIY, if you had any plans for a simple topoff system for a nano tank.

Cheers.

--Dan
Old 04/28/2005, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

H20eng,
I think you would just want to mix one set amount each time so you have one premeasured salt container and open the valve to mix it. You wouldn't have to stand there at all. Just come back later, next day, next week. The valve you turn off is the one feeding the upper tank rodi water. That one you turn off when the upper tank is full any time before the "mixing event".

ReefMeister2,
Finished the mod of the mod. so now the upper tank drains fully.
Old 04/28/2005, 02:02 PM
Ozone Sniffer

I hear you skireef. But I was staying with Reefmeisters method of mixing different volumes
I would probably just have a full barrel made up all the time for ease of use.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 04/28/2005, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Yes, that is what I figured. But to reduce potential problems, using a set amount each time would be best. You would set the upperbarrel to shut off at a predetermined level (I use the kent float valve), when that is filled, turn off the rodi feed. When you are ready to mix the water, add the salt and open the valve to the lower tank. Since you are adding the same volume of water and same amount of salt, it wouldn't matter if some water was left in the lower holding tank.

and go from there.
Old 04/28/2005, 02:34 PM
Just an Average Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Dannyboy17
Yep. Thats weird? I was wondering, since you are good at DIY, if you had any plans for a simple topoff system for a nano tank.

Cheers.

--Dan

Dan, I have been contemplating that issue as well, as I have two nanos of my own, but I have yet to come up with a viable solution. As much as I hate topping off my nanos manually, I hate the aesthetics of extra equipment laying around that much more. The thought of trying to hide a reservior nearly as large as the tank itself does not appeal to me, nor does the thought of adding yet another pump (with resultant failure risks) to depend upon.
Admittedly, I have not dedicated much thought to this yet, but I shall in the near future when school lets out.

That being said,
I HAVE designed and constructed a "in-line" heater, which allows the elimination of that piece of equipment from the display tank. This I did 2 years ago, long before they became commercially available, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I suppose I could post pictures if you're interested, just let me know. It is actually designed to be used in conjunction with a canister filter since it has no power source of its own to circulate water. So, if you don't have a canister, you would have to add a dedicated pump such a a mag 3.
Old 04/28/2005, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

To clarify, use a bigger holding tank.......and just do the 25g each time.
Old 04/28/2005, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

"if you had any plans for a simple topoff system for a nano tank."

The problem as I see it is getting a float valve small enough to fit in a HOB filter/heater/etc. Then you could use the simple gravity feed system. Pumps would be way too scary on a nano.
Old 04/29/2005, 12:13 AM
Just an Average Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by skireef
"if you had any plans for a simple topoff system for a nano tank."

The problem as I see it is getting a float valve small enough to fit in a HOB filter/heater/etc. Then you could use the simple gravity feed system. Pumps would be way too scary on a nano.
My thoughts exactly. They make electrical float valves (reed type) that are small enough, but I wouldn't trust an electrical pump/topoff system on a nano either. I wish someone made a small enough float-type valve that could be used on small tanks.

Hell, this is EXACTLY what gets me into trouble: If no one makes it available commercially, then I usually just decide to build the damn thing myself! When I should be doing school work instead.
"Curse of the Tinkerer" It'za lonely life but someone's gotta do it!