Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2005, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Post PLEASE help me with my research project

Hi! I'm a marine bio major and I have to write a 20 page essay on simulating the reef environment in captivity (reef aquariums) and also the benifits of doing so.
I was wondering if anyone could hook me up with links that explain (in great detail):
-protien skimmers
-deep sand beds
-live rock filtration
-corect light intensities/temp/types
-and also if you know of any research projects that require a simulated reef.

thanks a lot
maaahaaaloooooO!
-ryan
Old 03/27/2005, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, but i have to say this:

www.google.com
Old 03/27/2005, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Try going to Encarta.com they may have something.
Old 03/28/2005, 05:56 AM
Moved On

I thought the idea of a research paper we so you could learn. Why not do your own research?
Old 03/28/2005, 07:17 AM
Worm person

I suggest going through www.reefkeeping.com, http://www.advancedaquarist.com/ and http://reefs.org/.

Oh, totally forgot. A list of DSB (deep sand bed) articles. In adition, you can always ask specific questions, should you have any, here.

Ron has also written a page on live rock filtration, and I'm afraid the evidence up to this day is purely anecdotal.
Old 03/30/2005, 09:32 PM
Actinia equina

May I recommend WetWebMedia? (http://www.wetwebmedia.com)

The built-in Google search of WWM on the homepage is a wonderful resource.

Best of luck on your project!
Old 03/31/2005, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

With the amount of equipment, and the amount of information about captivating, I think 20pgs should be no problem.

To help you out, make sure you use scientific journals due to their credibility. Websites, usually do not have that credibility and as my teacher would always say "Heck, I created a website, with such wrong information and Im 64, so why cant everyone else do it"
Old 04/02/2005, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

There are many awesome books out there, look at their referrences!! Good Luck!! Mia
Old 04/06/2005, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

as a college student with alot of research papers, research includes interviews with poeple who do whatever it is you are working on. So for his paper, us reefers are qualified resources. That said I do not have time to contribute and have to go to class heheh
Old 04/10/2005, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

thanks a lot! any reccomendations on how i can get good articles on skimming, lights, etc, without having a million stores showing up? man this is hard
Old 04/10/2005, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Check the magazine this site puts out, cant remember the name but it has alot of articles. It has alot of good info. Also check Wetwebmedia.com. It is run by some of the professionals in this field such as Robert Fenner.
Old 04/10/2005, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

What sort of paper is this? Sounds a bit..."odd," I guess. I mean, I understand the purpose of writing a term paper on bleaching, or nutrition, or evolutionary patterns, but I just don't see how writing a paper on reefkeeping approaches contributes greatly to the academy. Perhaps if it were oriented to approaches for husbandry in public aquariums, but just reefkeeping by laymen? I suppose I don't see the point.

I'm sure there are a lot of good journals out there that deal with public aquarium keeping. Track those down.

Best,

Chris

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~
Old 04/10/2005, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

yo chris

I'm going to relate it to how we study coral diseases in captivity, as to understand how to save the wild ones. geffum!?
Old 04/13/2005, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

HAMACHI,

I agree with Chris. Your paper on coral diseases in captivity should be interesting to see if there have been any empirical research related to saving wild corals. I was watching discover some time ago and saw where there was a type of macroalgae off Australia that was taking over reef systems. The algae was not of local orign and had been put there by a reef keeper. This might go well in a 20 pager, 20 pagers need filler if the subject is fairly narrow. MLA or APA?
Old 04/13/2005, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Escobal (sp?) "Aquatic Engineering" covers skimmer theory quite nicely.

Fred.
Old 04/17/2005, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

scholar.google.com & www.pubmed.com

Both only use peer edited publications, and are perhaps two of the major search engines for those in academia.

Take er easy
Scott T.
Old 04/19/2005, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

For an academic search engine you can also try ISI web of Knowledge / Web of Science...I believe the link is:

http://isiknowledge.com

You can only get on from a computer (IP adress) at a university with a license. Has access to pretty much everything ever published...also Sci Finder Scholar software has access to everything, probably the best academic search engine, your school might have a few licenses. Check your university library computers for the program.
Old 04/21/2005, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Aquatic System Engineering
By P.R. Escobal

This book contains all you need to know about turnover times, filters, sterilizers, reactors, Venturis, skimmers, pumps, hydraulics, heat and ozone. This information is presented wherever possible in an easy-to-use graphical format, backed up by many examples and problems with worked-out answers.

This book basicly covers the entire setup of a reef tank. After reading this book I definitly had a much better understanding about the required filteration methods used to run a working reff tank.
2 150W 20k MH
Gravity Fed H&S AF150-F2001
Eheim 1250 Return
2 Maxi-Streams on Swirler Steins
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 04/22/2005, 09:54 AM
How YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally posted by Manon
There are many awesome books out there, look at their referrences!! Good Luck!! Mia

LIBRARY

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!