Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2005, 08:39 AM
Moved On

What lighting should I go with?

I know that SPS are not all about lighting, however I have seen and read some conflicting info.

Was wondering what kind of setup I should go with for my 20L plumbed to a 20 L sump?

I am having a hard time deciding between a 150 watt AquaMedic pendant, or a 250 watt.

I have had personal recommendations by people with phenomenal looking sps tanks to go with the 150 and others the 250. One in particular has one 250 over a 30 gallon tank, has had it for a couple years, and his sps look awesome.

One nice thing about the 150 is it comes with a built in visor to block the crazy glare from the halide which is a very attractive feature.

The price difference is not that great between the two, but after reading the faq I am more confused then ever. Thanks.
Old 03/30/2005, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

I am setting up a 28g Bowfront and went with the AquaMedic 150 pendant. Just bought it yesterday and installed it. I let it run all night to burn in the 20k. It seems really blue right now. I put it over my 10g nano to see what it would like like it it made my purple rim cap and a yellow acro that has purple growth turn blue. Hope it evens out a little.

The heat from the 150 was a lot compare to my 96w CF over my 10g. I might have a heat issue if I don't get a fan. My tank is 18" deep and the 150 will be more than enough.

I really like the look of the AquaMedic pendant. I beleve the 150 would be your best bet so you don't run into heating problems. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
Old 03/30/2005, 08:56 AM
Just say no to DSB

If you are not going to add on any atinics, I would go with 20k. 150 watts should be plenty over a small tank

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin
Old 03/30/2005, 11:22 AM
Moved On

Yeah Im not concerned with the color so much as I am with 150 being enough light according to the faq it looks like it wouldnt be.

Thanks.
Old 03/30/2005, 12:01 PM
Just say no to DSB

Not sure of the exact ltr/gal convertion, but a 150 would be about 10 watts per gall which is plenty.
The color is not for you, it is for the corals. If you do not think spectrums are important, you need to do a lot more research before jumping into SPSs

Old 03/30/2005, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

Got plans of upgrading to a larger tank in the future? If so, then I would go with the 250. Just make sure to hang the pendant rather than fitting it in a hood, it is easier to control the heat and the intensity of the light in that case.
Old 03/30/2005, 05:46 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by laxing22
Not sure of the exact ltr/gal convertion, but a 150 would be about 10 watts per gall which is plenty.
The color is not for you, it is for the corals. If you do not think spectrums are important, you need to do a lot more research before jumping into SPSs
Its not that I dont care about the spectrum the corals need, its just that I have read and been told that intensity is the most important aspect of the lighting needs of SPS. Thanks for putting me in my place though.
Old 03/30/2005, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

I would go with a 250.
avoid the upgrade later when you decided to go with a larger tank.
Old 03/31/2005, 08:29 AM
Just say no to DSB

Really do not want to put anyone in their place. But if you buy 6500k or lower k lights, (usually the cheapest) I do not think you would do well with most SPS, no matter the intensity. Most SPS like the G-BIV spectrum of the rainbow (ROY-G-BIV) Lower K spectrums will not get you the brilliant color that most want in a SPS garden. Just trying to save you some $ and headaches down the road.

Old 03/31/2005, 09:25 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by laxing22
Really do not want to put anyone in their place. But if you buy 6500k or lower k lights, (usually the cheapest) I do not think you would do well with most SPS, no matter the intensity. Most SPS like the G-BIV spectrum of the rainbow (ROY-G-BIV) Lower K spectrums will not get you the brilliant color that most want in a SPS garden. Just trying to save you some $ and headaches down the road.
Thanks, sorry for being so sensitive, I guess I just felt like you were being condescending. You wouldnt know this, but I have been in this hobby for at least 5 years, not much, but enough to know something.

I see your point and I really appreciate it! I really hate the way 20k's look though, too blue. Would it be possible to do the 14k or even the 10k's?

Thanks again!
Old 03/31/2005, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

I also would go with the 250.