Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/22/2005, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Tank trouble

The last 2 weeks or so I've started loseing some inverts, I had a cyno problem and put the filter pad back in my eclipse 3 hud. Now it's mostly gone.

Before I get into it here's my setup,

37g eclipse hud tank, still useing bio wheel.

12-14 pounds of live rock, rest is base.

It's been up and running for 8 months now. Levels are,

ph 8.0
Amonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite .10-.15 always been here.
Tested for copper 0
SG .23 always has been around this.
Temp 81

So here's what happerening, the last 2 weeks I've noticed my hermit crabs have been vanishing, I've seen some legs here and there. I had a Turbo snail die yesterday and today my Brittle star doesn't look to go, he's out in the light and didn't respond to food like he always does.

In the tank I have,

10-12 Hermits don't know the exact number anymore, 4 Turbos, Sandsifter, brittle star, peppermint, 6-line, clown, firefish, lawnmower.

What's going on, why are my inverts diying should I do a big water change. I haven't put much food in the tank the lasy 2 weeks either maybe 4 days a week.
Old 03/22/2005, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear this

When you say your S.G. is .23 do you mean 1.023? An S.G. of .23 would surely kill them. In any case I hear at least 1.024 is recommended for inverts. Natural Sea Water has an S.G. of around 1.026

Good luck
Old 03/22/2005, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Yeah 1.023. It's always been about that to.
Old 03/22/2005, 07:07 PM
Tang? What Tang!

you say you have seen legs, you sure nothing is eating these creatures? Do you have a hitchhiker you did not know about?

Your params sound good, a little low on salinity/ You said you tested for copper? why? did you dose copper at some point in time?
Old 03/22/2005, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Wait what am I saying! duh, it is impossible to have an S.G reading of below 1 and a hobby S.G meter wouldn't go as high as 1.23 so you must mean 1.023

Sorry, it's getting late (yawn)

Old 03/22/2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

I would definately check for a mantis shrimp if your seeing legs and no bodies.
Old 03/22/2005, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
you say you have seen legs, you sure nothing is eating these creatures? Do you have a hitchhiker you did not know about?

Your params sound good, a little low on salinity/ You said you tested for copper? why? did you dose copper at some point in time?
I don't think I have a hitchhiker, I haven't seen or heard anything. What would have killed the snail. And my sick looking starfish. I tested for copper as I have copper in the tap water I use .1, but I have a ro unit so I'm not worried about it.
Old 03/22/2005, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

I did add a peace of live rock a week or two ago, but there wasn't any holes it could hide in. I never see anymore than 8 hermits now, there was 12 or 14.
Old 03/22/2005, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Did the problems start soon after the new rock was added? Did the rock smell fresh?
Old 03/22/2005, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

The rock smelled fine, the hermits had been on the decline before I put this rock in.

Could I get rid of my bio wheel yet or should I wait longer. But the Turbo died after I put the rock in. It was big though maybe it had run it's life cycle.
Old 03/22/2005, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Hi ,just cruising the new posts.My 2cents,temp is a little high.Try for the mid-low 70s.
Old 03/22/2005, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Back real quick,thought about this for a minute,you stated you saw what appeared to be legs.Are you sure this is not just a molt?As hermits grow,they shed their old carapace( i.e old skins).If new,larger shells are not avalabile,they take refuge in the rock.They will be vulnerable until they find new lodgings ( a bigger shell).
Old 03/23/2005, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by discusone
Back real quick,thought about this for a minute,you stated you saw what appeared to be legs.Are you sure this is not just a molt?As hermits grow,they shed their old carapace( i.e old skins).If new,larger shells are not avalabile,they take refuge in the rock.They will be vulnerable until they find new lodgings ( a bigger shell).
I have plenty od spare shells in the tank. They might of molted but I don't see any of them anymore.