Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/12/2005, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Denitrafiying coil

I saw a thread on one earlier and am thinking of putting one on my 200 FOWLR. I am still in the setting up stage but trying to set it up right the first time. I am not sure if they work but what I am planning on doing is taking a 6" pvc pipe and then wrapping as much as tubing as I can get into it and then filling the middle with bio balls and completely sealing it up so that no air can get inside and then using a mj 1200 to power it. it will be 6" around and 18" tall. Let me know what yall think and any improvements can be made open to all options. Thanks again.
Old 03/12/2005, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that one of the things that make a denitrifying coil work is extremely low flow (on the order of a trickle at best).
Old 03/12/2005, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

eameres
I didnt know that they needed that slow of a flow. I have a small mini pump that does 75 gph. do u think that would be slow enough? Thanks for the help.
Old 03/12/2005, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...threadid=53539
here is the thread that I was reading on how to do this.
I am also looking for another diagram that I ran across that
was extremly helpful. I'll post it asap. but from everthing that I
understand you have to cycle it with a slow drip and then after cycle you will adjust the flow depending on your nitrite/nitrate level.
Old 03/12/2005, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Here is the instructions and pictures that I told you about.
Good luck. These were a great help.
http://2hot2cool.com/4/afishianado/afishian.htm
Old 03/12/2005, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

carl0209

thanks for the web sites. I am going to try and build one just like it. I was wondering though if I should take some of the bioballs out of my sump and use them so that I dont have to wait for it to cycle, or would it be better to use new ones so that no bacteria is on them. Thanks again.
Old 03/13/2005, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I am using ones from my sump as well. Sorry,I forgot to mention that. I was reading that thread as well. and it did say that would speed up the cycle.
Old 03/13/2005, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Carlo
I just built mine it is 24" tall and 8" diameter. I had to use nearly 100' of the tubing and it took a huge amount of bioballs. I had to use all from the wet/dry and then go buy somemore. I was wondering what kind of results you are getting? Thanks again.