Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2005, 11:09 AM
Moved On

Equip Purchase

All right.

So I check out my local dive shop, they want 800 for a dive computer that I can get from Leisure Pro for 600. Even worse, the regulators are all double the price! 650 vs 350. I can also get their best package deal for the same price as what I would have paid for just the reg and the computer at my lds and get an octopus and the bc with it. The lds wants anywhere between 300 and 600 for the bc.

I've heard all the bs about buying equip from lds but that is a big savings when you add it up. My lds is an authorized Oceanic dealer and service location. Are the mfg warranties void if I purchase online?

Just looking for some input. I may call leisurepro directly to find out what they say.

I also like both of these packages, looking for some comments / advice.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/PCKT3.html
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/PCKM3.html
Old 03/09/2005, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

I have head good things about leisurepro. The thing that sucks is the LDS does not really have a choice but to charge more since they have to operate a storefront. I personally try to balace things to support my local store. For example you could buy your mask and fins there (since fit, especially with mask is so important and you can't match trying on masks at the LDS). Then you could get the computer through an online vendor. As for warranty, i am not sure..you should contact the vendor.
As for the package, visit scubaboard and check out the equiment reviews. I am not familiar with those regulator models although I know a lot of people really like Mares regs ( but if I recall they may be hard to service...I can't remember).

DMC
Old 03/09/2005, 12:08 PM
Moved On

Thanks for the input. Mares equip looks really solid. I do support my lds in that I talke all my classes from them and have already purchased my fins, mask booties, gloves from them and will be doing most of my dives off the Jersey coast with them this year so I think I am doing my part to support them. What do you think about getting my BC online? A large is a large in my opinion and the higher end BCs I'm sure all will fit with good comfort no matter the mfg.
Old 03/09/2005, 01:54 PM
Moved On

Oh and how do they pronounce their name?

Is it like Mars

or Mar res?? Just curious.
Old 03/09/2005, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

I have a mares abyss regulator and octopus and love it. I have had it fo 7 years. Manufacturers warranties are void when purchasing from Leisure Pro so be careful. You are looking at lifesaving equipment and it is too important to mess around with. People have died because of this. I say this as a Padi Divemaster.
Old 03/09/2005, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Sesegal,

Jersey coast huh, sounds like diving in a cup of pea soup in the fridge. I used to say stuff that like anyways about east coast diving till I met a canadian who dives in Nova Scotia in the winter so that makes Jersey sound warm. I hear there are nice wrecks. Anyways, BC's can vary a bit between manufacturers, but it's usually a problem with small and extra small sizes from my experience. If you know you are a large in brand X, you could call the sales department and tell them that so they can come up with a size for brand Y. The other option is to try one on somewhere. It's pronounced Ma- res with the e sounding like 'a' in day except not quite so sharp.
As for warranties and Leisure Pro, Moggyhill is right for some of the equipment. They are authorized dealers for some manufacturers, but not others. The website says they offer a waranty meeting or exceeding that of the manufacturer in these instances. If you check out scubaboard, you can see that the whole warranty thing has been the source of lots of threads. I have also heard that some manufacturers simply do not warranty internet sales. Another online source you can check is www.scubatoys.com, which is an authorized seller for everything they sell I think. You could call them as well to check if your desired equipment is or is not covered. I think you should research the warranty thing as I m not sure what to tell you about that. Regardless, it is imperitive to have the equipment serviced regularly by authorized techinicians who can replace worn parts, find problems, and would know about any potential recalls etc.
DMC
Old 03/10/2005, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Here's a link to a thread on another board, you may or may not find it useful. I would highly reccommend Scubaboard itself, though, there is more info there than you could cover in a year!

http://www.scubaboard.com/t80101-sup...dive-shop.html

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03/11/2005, 03:51 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

While leisurepro may have cheap prices, they are not authorized dealers for many of the items they offer. Therefore there are no manufacturers warranties with unauthorized sales, I have been very tempted to buy items from them because of prices, but my lds will simply replace any item I have trouble with, because they are authorized dealers. I am not sure I'm ready to go without my gear while I send it back to an internet store, in hopes they will honor their warranty. If I were to have to send back an item to them just once, paying for shipping and being w/o my gear, I am sure I would have wished I bought it from the authorized dealer.
Don't know about your lds, but mine gives me some pretty good prices compared to the sticker price. I can see using LP for some things you don't need the warranty on, but the extra dough for the best warranty on high dollar items is worth it to me. There are some authorized dealers that do internet sales w/ good prices, but check w/ the manufacturer before your purchase, to be certain they are authorized. I have to agree with the general concensus here, to use the lds, start a long term relationship with them and you might get some great prices on gear in time.
Old 03/11/2005, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Mare-es.

I'm happy with my Abyss reg and octo and I happy with it as well. Had it two years now. I'm not as thrilled with my BC, a Mares Pegasus but it's functional and I don't really have any real gripes. I wish I'd have gone with a Dive Rite or Zeagle Ranger now.

BKB
Old 03/11/2005, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

I got rid of my Zeagle Ranger, I use a DiveRite now and like it alot
Old 03/23/2005, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

I use the zeagle stilleto... Love it...

Anyway, I ordered $4,000 worth of gear from Liesure Pro 2 weeks ago!!

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM! Everything arrived in great shape and in record time, but the customer service SUCKS!... they are not personable... they are a sales team, dedicated to selling you all the little extras. Do you need this... Do you need that, it's only $5 more to get this, we have (X) on sale.

They got my order (3 BCs, 3 Reg sets, 3 Computers, Mask snorkel fins, a few other items) But they won't get my next.

I didn't support my Local Dive shop, and I really felt bad about it, but I'm not wealthy and it was over $500 savings per package to go with Liesurepro.

So anyway, now that I've told you what I don't recommend, I do recommend Scubatoys.com as a great happy medium between Liesurepro Prices, and a Local Dive shop. They are SUPER NICE!! Larry is the best, he'll also give you a few reasons NOT to go with liesurepro (stupid me)

Tell him Brittany from Utah sent you, and you just might get a deal! that's my G/F and I sent her there instead of Liesure pro and he treated her great!