Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2005, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Nautilus for sale?!?

...perhaps I'm mistaken, but I've always regarded chambered nautilus as a fairly rare, probably protected, species. You can imagine my surprise when I recently entered a local LFS (I guess that's redundant, like "ATM machine") and found 3 or 4 nautilus for sale at $79. If not protected, I would suspect that these animals wouldn't make ideal aquarium animals outside of professional aquaria, but I really don't know. Just seems a bit dodgy. Any input, info, thoughts?
Old 02/28/2005, 07:02 PM
San Francisco Skyline

Location: Pacifica, California. (15 Miles South of San Francisco)
I guess you went to 6th Ave Yes those poor Nautilus stuck in that shallow water under those MH's. This creature is found at depths of 300+ Feet in the wild and I dont know how anyone could care for them.
Old 02/28/2005, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I think that even public aquriums have problems keeping them....
Old 03/01/2005, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

They're open water animals. Keeping them in a small aquarium is just shameful.
Old 03/01/2005, 12:50 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Naulitus' need large and deep tanks. Although they come from tropical and subtropical areas, as they are deepwater animals, they definately need chillers. They are not suitable for most home aquariums but atleast, unlike some other species that doesnt do well in aquariums, we dont see them very often.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 03/01/2005, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

From the April 2005 issue of TFH (pg136-137)
Nautiluses
�…because they are also the most difficult of the available cephalopods to care for… To sum it up, don’t buy one. “

Says that they need temps in the low 60’s
There is concern that Nautiluses are being over collected, shell trade more than anything.
Deep tanks 48 inches deep being recommended
Old 03/03/2005, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

OMG..they've got them under MH?? Those poor animals! What size tank are they in??

Like everyone has already said, they come from deep depths and like cold water (kind goes hand in hand).

Unless someone would take the time to REALLY set up a nice tank with a chiller and keep one of these guys alone, then they would prop have success. Like anything, if you're really dedicated you can most likely care for anything.

Have you mentioned anything to them at that LFS?

MASM President

www.masm.org

Remember, when you swim in the ocean, don't forget who the landlord is..
Old 03/03/2005, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

...they're in 6-8" deep "coral" tanks out front! No wonder they have a sign posted in the store that says "NO CAMERAS ALLOWED."
Has anyone ever said anything to these guys about this (the nautilus sales)? Maybe we should start a chain of phone calls or an online petition? I'd be happy to organize. It would be a small step at least.
Old 03/03/2005, 07:14 PM
San Francisco Skyline

Location: Pacifica, California. (15 Miles South of San Francisco)
Many people have talked to them about the Nautilius, but they get them anyway. I bet they get them because some poor newbie will go and buy them.
Old 03/03/2005, 07:30 PM
RC Staff
American

Last one I saw for sale was $150.00. I can only hope it died in the store, and the store took the loss.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 03/03/2005, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

...i used to live by a pet shop in chicago that sold large red-footed tortoises (about 20"). they kept them in a little (36") plastic garden tub, no light or heater. One day I just walked out with the tortoise in my duffel. One time I saw a small boa there that had died and had actually began decomposing, actually liquidating, in it's tank without them noticing!
Old 03/05/2005, 11:29 PM
Local Lizard

Although it is a shame to see animals treated poorly in pet stores, stealing them is not right either...it's downright illegal.

Doesn't anyone here find it slightly hypocritical to bash pet stores for keeping things they shouldn't? How many fish/corals have you bought that didn't survive? I really don't care if you had the best intentions, it's no better than a LFS. In the end...the fish/coral died. Not to mention how many myriads of life people kill buying live rock. It's like someone who owns a monster, gas guzzling SUV telling the world to save the environment.

JMHO.
Old 03/06/2005, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

...why do you say "in the end ...the fish/coral died"? the tortoise didn't die. and if your argument is that the hobbyist, no matter how concientious, will experience mortalities, and is therefore no better than an irresponsible LFS (not ALL LFS) then what is it you keep in captivity? I suppose my morally justified (IMO) theft is then equivalent to your underage drinking, or pot smoking, or speeding, or whatever frivolous, but illegal, indescretions you might have indulged in - except mine was altruisticly motivated. not to go hyperbolic, but I suppose the people in the civil rights movement of the 50s, 60s were equal to the segregationists in moral turpitude because they too were lawbreakers, sitting at all-white lunch counters. I'm not comparing myself, just saying that not all transgressions are equal. I guess shoplifting and 1st degree murder deserve the same sentence by that "logic."
Old 03/06/2005, 03:31 AM
Registered Member

... furthermore, the comparison, or conflict, is not between a gas-guzzling SUV owner and an environmentalist, but any average consumer and environmental conciousness. By your logic, unless you live in a grass hut, eating nuts and berries, recycling all your waste materials in a compost pile, then you have no right to voice concern over environmental issues. It's simply not the case. It's a matter of degree. I use electricity, I throw things in the garbage, but I DO try to conserve in many small ways (not leaving lights on, not leaving the faucet running, recycling, driving a smaller car, etc.), and feel I have a right as a world citizen to argue for conservation. It's not an all or nothing proposition.