Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2005, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Transporting Fish

I need help and some advice. I'm buying an existing 3 year old fish only saltwater tank from a guy. He currently has about 9 fish in here. 1 Large Powder Blue Tang- 1 Medium Niger Trigger
- 1 Medium Purcupine Puffer - 1 Medium Picasso Trigger - 1 Large Yellow Tang - 1 Med-Lg Kole Yellow-eye tang - 1 Med-Lg Flame Hawkfish - 1 Large Clarkii Clownfish - 2 Mexican Wrasse 1 Yellow Damselfish. Where I'm getting stuck is that I have to tear down the tank and set the tank back up. The fish will be out of the tank for about 3 or 4 hours. I'm not sure the best way to transport them, and then how to acclimate them. I was thinking of using the existing water and ice chest, but don't I need to purchase a battery powered air pump while traveling? Should I put something in the water like "Stress Coat"? Do I have the current owner not feed them 2 days prior to reduce ammonia while traveling? And then, what the best way to acclimate them once we get the tank back up and running? Oh, another thing. Do I mix up a big batch of saltwater prior and use that when I get the tank back home, or do I try to take as much of the existing water as I can?? There isn't a whole lot on this, so any info would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Old 02/01/2005, 09:37 AM
Aggressive Reef Keeper

I'll take a stab at some of these questions, but you may see more asked than answers:

Quote:
I was thinking of using the existing water and ice chest, but don't I need to purchase a battery powered air pump while traveling?
For you time and distance I would (don't know if it required, but it can't hurt). My main concern would be temperature control. (Where do you live... is it going to be warm... cold??

When I have done this in the past (usually in warmer months) I have used just old salt buckets (You may ask at LFS). and put fish and whatever else in these with a battery powered air pump and away I went. That seems to work well, but again temperature control is an issue.

I have a pick up on thursday and was thinking about trying to get a transformer to run a heater in a bucket.

Quote:
Should I put something in the water like "Stress Coat"?
I wouldn't as I don't really belive in these products.

Quote:
Do I have the current owner not feed them 2 days prior to reduce ammonia while traveling?
I don't know if that's a big deal for the time frame you are talking. I would wan't them to be strong. I don't know if I would feed that day, but I would the day before (maybe someone else will respond differently).

Quote:
And then, what the best way to acclimate them once we get the tank back up and running?
I would do normal acclimation procedures after that kind of trip due to water denegration, etc. (either slow drip or small cupfulls ever 10-15mins over a couple of hours).

Quote:
Do I mix up a big batch of saltwater prior and use that when I get the tank back home, or do I try to take as much of the existing water as I can??
I would make sure I had pleanty of new saltwater on hand when you get back home, but I would try and use/take as much of the existing water as possible (just me, again there maybe others who say differently).

The only other thing is what kind of substrate is in use and will be in use. Realize you may have a sand storm on hand that may take some time to abate.

Dave
Old 02/06/2005, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

small tank

when i moved before, i moved my 30 gallon hospital tank first, let it establish for few days, then put fish in there while setting up a big tank. Good luck
Old 02/06/2005, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Get a cooler, put the fish and his water in their, ( This will keep the water from drastic temp. changes) and buy a battery operated airstone is airrate the water during the move.
Old 02/07/2005, 01:33 PM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
The time is not an issue - You have to think fish are in a bag for like 8-24 hours when they are being shipped to a LFS(unless you live in Hawaii or Florida). I aggree about the temp - if the temp exchange is too extreme the fish may suffer - but I doubt an air pump is necessary
Old 02/07/2005, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Yes I agree temp is the biggest problem, when I moved mine I put all the water in old salt buckets(cleaned out of course). Then put one or two fish in each bucket or live rock. Didnt have to add hardly any new water and temp stayed fairly close. I found the buckets cheap, dont leak and can fit alot of volume in a confined area. I ussually have a room in the house that its moving to at a bit better than room temp then place the buckets in there while setting up the tank to get them at the approx temp.
Old 02/08/2005, 01:41 AM
10 & Over Club

A cooler with just enough water for the fish to swim upright will do the trick. Keeping the water shallow will allow it to oxygenate with the need for air pumps. A shot of Amquell (often used by shippers) will take care of any ammonia problems for the short duration. Depending on temps you expect to counter, you might want to float a warm water bottle or ice pack to help control the temperature. If anything, a slight chill of a few degrees is far less of a problem than getting too warm.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)