Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2004, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

My percula's mate died

I've had a mated pair of percula's for over 4 years. They adopted a beautiful green bubble coral that actually accepted them. They laid a new clutch of eggs almost every other week for months ( I never saw the babies because they hatched at night and I assume they were eaten by other fish). Sadly, my female died of some viral disease, and I know her mate is still waiting for her return.
My question is, can a new mate be introduced? If so, what size? Larger than the male (as his mate was larger)? or smaller? It is very difficult to find a larger mate as they were pretty mature in size.
Old 12/21/2004, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

You can find a larger clown than your male and it will turn female, or you can find a smaller clown and your male will turn female. Do not wait too long if you are going to add a larger clown, or else the male you have now may turn female.
Old 12/21/2004, 04:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ViPeR_930
You can find a larger clown than your male and it will turn female, or you can find a smaller clown and your male will turn female. Do not wait too long if you are going to add a larger clown, or else the male you have now may turn female.
I'm confused.
So lets say I'm looking to buy a mate for my percula.
I have no clue what sex mine is.
Do I buy a larger one or a smaller one?
Old 12/21/2004, 06:49 AM
Registered Member.

just buy a smaller fish and let them re-pair never go larger as you know a larger fish will most likely be female. just let nature take its course. get your self a new juvi as small as you can.
Old 12/21/2004, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

When I introduced a smaller clownfish, the bigger one at first attacked her to keep her away from his bubble coral. He did seem to start to be more accepting of her, but unfortunately they are in a community of other various fish that harrassed her. When I introduced her early in the evening there was plentiful available food and soon after the lights dimmed. But the other fish continued their attack. Things seemed calmer when the lights went out and the other fish took their nighttime positions. The little clown seemed calmer also, but in the morning she was gone.
Maybe if I introduce one in the morning and I am able to monitor more closely I can get them through this aggressive period.
I don't want to sacrifice another little clown. Dad might have to live alone.
Old 12/21/2004, 09:21 AM
Registered Member.

leave your lights off all day
and introduce the new fish. get a specimine container and put holes in it for water movement then let them get used to it being there with the container after a few hours try lettingit loose but leave lights off an just monitor. you should be good.
Old 12/21/2004, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I took your advice. My local pet store had a nice clown, slightly smaller than the dad. (mom?) I put it in a betta container and settled it near the bubble coral. He seems to hang around the container quite a bit. The lights have been dim all day (the bubble coral is closed up for this reason). I will dim them further when the sun goes down, but I won't take her out till dark when the other fish are in 'bed'.
How does that sound to you?
Old 12/21/2004, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

I think I've had success in introducing a mate for my percula!
I kept the new percula in the betta container from 11am-6pm. Seems like a long time but I was able to moniter her periodically throughout the day. Luckily, it's the shortest day of the year and I shut off all lights at sundown. All the other fish went into their beds and I took the lid off the container. The fish immediately went together and did that beautiful dance only clowns can do.
She seems to be adopting the bubble coral.
So, tonight, everything seems calm and serene. I will try to moniter the tank at daybreak to make sure there's no trouble from the community fish.
Thank you all for your advice and, especially keefsama. I'll write a follow-up tomorrow.
Old 12/23/2004, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

WOuld a true and a false clown mate?
Old 12/23/2004, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

There are some other threads in this category that have good advice and answers for a question like yours. I'm not an expert, but I read that it is very difficult to tell perculas from ocellaris. My feeling is that they will mate. Just make sure they're well fed and healthy.
As to my situation (read above) I promised a follow-up: My introduced clown and the older bigger one are definitely bonding and accepted by the community of other fish. The technique I used worked beautifully. Thanks!
Old 12/23/2004, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Betti Weiss
There are some other threads in this category that have good advice and answers for a question like yours. I'm not an expert, but I read that it is very difficult to tell perculas from ocellaris. My feeling is that they will mate. Just make sure they're well fed and healthy.
As to my situation (read above) I promised a follow-up: My introduced clown and the older bigger one are definitely bonding and accepted by the community of other fish. The technique I used worked beautifully. Thanks!
when you say difficult to tell from false to true, are you referring to the owner or the fish themselves.
Cause It's not that ahrd to tell the difference from a true and a false.
After you see so many, you spot them out.
Old 12/23/2004, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Can you tell me how to tell false from true? I believe I read an article in FAMA quite a while ago that said it was really difficult and that you had to count spines in the dorsal fins and that even then it wasn't certain. But, my local pet store owner seems to know pretty easily. What's the secret?
Old 12/23/2004, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

The #1 give away is the black bands.
That article you read was correct.
But usually it is people who don't really know, which is where the confusion comes IMO.
Like your local lfs guy, after you see enough, you can spot them right off the bat.