Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2004, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Can I stand in my tank?

Silly question - I'm building a new 48 in x 21 in tank which is 30 in deep, and made out of 1/2 in glass. The first application of silicone has just cured, and I need to clean away the excess silicone along the inside seams and apply and smooth a bead of silicone along all the inside seams.

I'm having real difficulty reaching the bottom inside seam. Is it OK to get inside the tank to do this, or do I run the risk of cracking the bottom sheet of glass where I stand/kneel on it? (I weigh 180 lbs).

Oh, and BTW, what tool(s) would you recommend for scraping away the excess silicone?

Any advice would be gratefully received!
Old 11/18/2004, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

l wouldnt recommend it, although it might work, i wouldnt risk it. if it were me, i would put down a sheet of styrofoam first, which would disapate your weight. HTH
Old 11/18/2004, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

put it in the floor and then stand in it you got to think you put larg rocks and substrait in it try it and see what happens at the least you will crack it this hobby is a lot of hit and misses

hth

chad
Old 11/18/2004, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

Can you turn it on its side on the ground and crawl in to it leaving all of your weight on the outside floor and reach the seams?

At least you wouldn't be point loading the glass with your knees

Last edited by drevnock; 11/18/2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11/18/2004, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

I agree with drevnock, I would stand in it if at all possible, why risk cracking it, you'll only swear up a storm if you do.
Old 11/18/2004, 03:32 PM
Hooked on Reefkeeping

A tank that size is gonna be HEAVY (my AGA 120 is over 300 pounds) so moving it may not be practical without a lot of help. Assuming you CAN'T lay it on it's side, if you are supporting it on a sturdy stand (and I hope so) you can spread out your weight by laying a piece of plywood on the bottom of the tank. This will move the pressure of your weight to the edges so if they're sturdy, you run the least risk.

Of course you didn't say how much you wiegh! Get a tiny girlfriend that's VERY understanding and get HER to crawl in the tank. Just don't let your wife know!

As for tools, if you mean to clean the corner, use a single edged razor blade. Clean it with alchohol and tool the silicone with your finger.
Old 11/18/2004, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

im not sure about the whole standing thing but im sure its ok. anyway my advice to you is a way to avoid the whole excess silicone thing. rather than have to clean it up when you are done, use some masking tape near your seams and then pull it up after you finish tooling the silicone, it will give you nice clean sharp edges. like masking a room when you are painting.
Old 11/18/2004, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Well, the tank's bottom had better be able to handle your weight, so you should be fine if you place a piece of plywood in there to evenly distribute the pressure across the glass.
Old 11/18/2004, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone - I'm going to follow the suggestion to put a sheet of foam in the bottom to spread my weight. I'll let you know how I get on!
Old 11/18/2004, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Best of luck

Also those big tongue depressors work great for giving Silicon that nice radius shape. I used tape and one of those and it always looks good
Old 11/19/2004, 05:06 AM
Registered Member

You said the glass it 1/2" thick on the bottom right? If it is sitting on the floor and is supported underneath, you could jump up and down on it and I doubt that you would ever break it. But it wouldn't hurt to put some foam in there just in case to spread out your weight.