Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2004, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Instead of magnets, break up ceramic tile and glue the zoos to them. Then glue the tile to the tank. You can get tiles on clearance pretty cheap. And get lots of pieces from one or two.
Old 09/04/2004, 11:52 AM
SPS Freak

Can you post a picture of the Xenia on the background? I'd love to see that.
Old 09/04/2004, 10:36 PM
TRC Leader

A good idea airwaybill. Frick mentioned using old CD panels for the very same idea and might be less weighty than the tile. I might grow a few out on one and see what that gets me.

jay24k, I will see about asking him to post that for you. I know he is not a member of RC but maybe I can convince him to join up and post a pic. If not, next time I am in Northern Cali I'll take one and show it off. It really is impressive.

Ok, here are the two frag I mounted last weekend. These were taken shortly after I put them up. I will get an update picture as soon as I can. Not the best pictures but I know the updated ones will be best. After all that coraline scrapping and then being a klutz with the gel glue I was not so patient.

Old 09/04/2004, 10:44 PM
TRC Leader

Hey Pagie, do you want to see a truly fightening zoo pic?

You know what they are. That was taken after the Jimmy fuzz dip method and a move to higher flow

Old 09/05/2004, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Amy what the heck happened? Thay were doing so well for you. It looks like that frag grew out quite a bit b4 getting the fungus, thants not how it usually happens.
Old 09/05/2004, 12:36 AM
TRC Leader

I don't know what happened. It was doing sooo well. As you well know it had been growing at a rate I've never seen any zoanthids do. One day a week ago, half of them were closed up. I didn't worry to much. I just figured a snail ran over them.

Two days after that the other half closed up. I started looking for nudies but there was nothing. For months now I have been free of them. Then about 4 days ago the lights came on and WHAM, the fuzz. I took them out and they stank.

Did the dip ASAP and moved them to some high flow. About 1/2 died from the fuzz and what you see above is all I have left. Good news is that they are responding and more are open. I'll snap a pic and show you tomorrow.

Freaky stuff
Old 09/05/2004, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about that Amy. I am sure that the rock I fragged them on didn't have any visible sponges on/in it. It was a as solid as a piece of LR can get. My 'cracker colony went through a simular period several months ago but never fuzzed up. All was going great until one day the polyps refused to open. This lasted about 2-3 weeks before they were all opened again. When they did re-open the red was not as intenese as before and then polyps were much smaller. The color has started to return finally but the polyps are still about the size of a regular Zoo versus their rather large former size. Chris had a simular experience as well. The good news is that once the affliction is over they will spread like wildfire again. You may want to frag whats left to give the remaining polyps as much lateral room as possible to spread and cut down on the chances of a simular event wiping out all the remaining 'crackers.
Old 09/05/2004, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

I think It's a great idea to have zoo's growing on the walls so far I'm having my greenstar polyps and pulsing xenias attached naturally all by themselves and I like the look;

Old 09/05/2004, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Hi,
Thats a beatiful coral that was attacked! Can I buy it from you? or is there a place where they sell the "Acan".

Thx,

Paul
Old 09/05/2004, 03:18 PM
RC Mod

Amy,

May I suggest you use clear plastic suction cups to attach the zoas ? You can get them at HD or the LHS in about 1 1/2" diameter. Glue the zoas to the suction cup and just stick it to the back of your tank, (clean the glass with a razorblade first) I did this to attach xenia and it worked great. Once the zoas spread just move the suction cup to a new spot, or leave it under the zoas.

You can see the xenia on the back and overflows in this pic.

Agu
Old 09/05/2004, 03:21 PM
TRC Leader

Paige, don't be silly! I know you did not give me a frag that had any sponge nor would have anything to cause this. Puullleezzz. Dumb stuff happens, and it seems to be a pattern with the 'crackers as you and Chris had the same thing happen. I wonder, did GEBC have the same happen to the mother colony? Eh, no worries. They are really much better and seem to perk up under the higher flow.

You can still see a little fuzz on the mid-left. Once they recover I will indeed frag some away and move them to a different location. Sorry for the poor pic, white balance off again.

cgh38 Sweet! Do they grow quickly that way for you?

paulfromero Thank you for the kind words on that coral. By far it is my favorite. Mine is not for sale, but you can go to the Selling Forum and see who might have a frag of Acanthastrea lordhowensis for sale. Last I looked there were a few.
Old 09/05/2004, 03:24 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Agu
May I suggest you use clear plastic suction cups to attach the zoas?
Ummm.. OMG! Perfect Agu. Where have you been all this time with that idea!?! lol

Thanks. I will use that idea for sure.

Love the tank photo. They grow quickly and are much easier to frag I'm sure?
Old 09/05/2004, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Amy did the zoos lose some of their brillance when they re-opened? My colony looks like the zoos on the bottom of your colony, but they are just starteing to colr up again. I didn't think you thought I sent you a sponge rock, just that it was speculated that the zoo-fungus was sponge related. Here is a perfect example of non-sponge related fungus. They do look better already in your photo though, look slike the "cigar" dip worked out well.
Old 09/05/2004, 05:15 PM
TRC Leader

The color has dulled a little. It's hard to see from the two pictures above but a few polyps have areas that look to be bleached out. It seems like every day it gets better.

Darn Fungus. I wonder if I can get a sample from that frag and send it to someone to be analyzed? Hmmm... I should post that in Borneman's forum perhaps.
Old 09/05/2004, 06:01 PM
troublemaker

Agu, great suggestion. Easy, cheap, reef safe. Brilliant!
Old 09/05/2004, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Frag a piece of the rock the yellows are growing on and then epoxy it to the tank wall where you want them to grow. Eventullay they will spread onto the glass. I have done this with a frag of orange Zoas. When I put it on the glass a little over a month ago it had 9 polyps on it. It now has 14, and getting ready to touch the back wall. The owner of my LFS has a colony of safecracker reds about the size of a frizbee on the back of his display tank. The guy will not frag me a piece either!!!!
Old 09/05/2004, 06:26 PM
Actinia equina

Cool idea. I shall use Agu's suction cup idea when I get my nano tank. And to think I was worried about not being able to keep all of the corals I wanted to due to limited spce on a high tank...
Old 09/05/2004, 08:44 PM
TRC Leader

reefez If you can show a picture of yours. Don't give up on the safecrackers. I'm sure you can find them else where if the LFS guy never gives in.

FalsePerc Take pictures when you do!

Last edited by TippyToeX; 09/05/2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09/24/2004, 08:57 PM
TRC Leader

Growing.

Old 09/24/2004, 09:04 PM
Bored Reefer

Nice. Do you have any more pics of the other zoo frags you mounted on the glass?
Old 09/24/2004, 09:10 PM
TRC Leader

Sure do. It's a bad shot (hard to adjust my white balance for these pictures for some reason) but until I have more time to work on my settings it's the best I could get.