Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2004, 01:34 PM
Moderator Clone

RBTA Splitting Discovery....

Hi all,

I've experimented in the past with feeding and large water changes to promote RBTA splitting and had some success, but I recently stumbled across something that some may find of interest.

I've had the pump feeding my chiller fail twice in the past two months. The first time, the tank temp got up to 85 degrees (I normally run this tank at 79 degrees). I got the pump going again and within two days I had 3 splits (of 8 anemones).

A few days ago the pump failed again (and this was the replacement pump, but that's another story). The tank got up to 83.5 (I caught it earlier this time). Last night I noticed another split.

It could be a coincidence, but the only splits I've had in the past 3-4 months have been immediately after these temperature "events." I don't really push to try and get clones (I pretty much just take them as they come), so I haven't checked this systematically, but I'm thinking of waiting a couple of months and shutting off my chiller for a day again...

FWIW,
Kevin
Old 09/21/2004, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

My tanks run 83-84 on an average and sometimes drop to 79 at night, and the only time they have split has been due to power outages. So I dont think its the temp spike itself, but just any form of stress, and if your tank always holds a constant 79, maybe the 4 degree swing could be the the cause of the stress.
Old 09/21/2004, 03:15 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Buehler
. So I dont think its the temp spike itself, but just any form of stress, and if your tank always holds a constant 79, maybe the 4 degree swing could be the the cause of the stress.
I agree that it's a stress issue. However, the chiller on my tank is shut down at night (noise issue), and the tank temp sometimes climbs back up to 81-82 (warm nights), and I haven't noticed splits after this regular temperature rise...

Dunno - don't need anymore clones, but may have to try it again just to see....

Kevin
Old 09/21/2004, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Quick question and its kind of off topic but my Rose just split last week and the two are hiding in the rocks. Neither look as well as they should nor do they look like they have a mouth. How long does it usually take to recover from a split.?
Old 09/21/2004, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

mine looked fine that same or next day (within 24 hrs)
Old 09/21/2004, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

They are inflated and attached it just looks like the mouth is under the foot (hard to explain/picture).
Old 09/21/2004, 07:04 PM
Moderator Clone

I find they usually have a "usable" mouth within 1-2 weeks and can then eat. If it gets to be longer than 2 weeks without the mouth "sealing" and reforming, I'd start to worry.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!