Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2004, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

need annenome help

I have two perculas and one maroon in my 72 gallon reef tank. I have a long tentacle annenome, a bubble tip and a sebae. None of my clown go anywhere near them. I just moved my maroon to my 10 gallon reef because the other clowns were bothering him. My question is...what kind of annenome can i buy that will host my maroon. I'm just having no luck here. :-) Please help. By the way in my 10 gallon I only have a few corals no fish, just cleaner crew. thanks so much
Old 09/21/2004, 09:44 AM
Moved On

Hi Thealy, first of all you should not mix clowns in the same tank, they will fight as you have found.
also its not good to mix anemones in the same tank, how long have you had the three different ones in your tank?
A 10 gallon is not big enough for any anemone and what ever you get will quickly outgow it. Your maroon will be just fine without an anemone so no need to get him one, but if you must, try the new fake ones out on the market, they are guaranteed to NOT grow, lol.
Your maroon will start to dig and make a big mess in your 10 gallon as most do. Maybe you should find her a new home?
Best of luck
Old 09/21/2004, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Actually, i put him back in the 72 gallon this morning because i felt so bad putting him in such a small tank and I couldn't believe my eyes...he started swimming the whole tank and found the BTA!! He is in heaven!! I felt like I just gave birth, it brought a tear to my eye. he was burying himself in the BTA and going crazy. Since this morning he has not left that BTA alone and the other clowns don't go anywhere near him now. Thanks for your advice I'm so happy that i don't have to take him back to the lfs!!! by the way those fake annemones are ok to put in a tank? thanks again
Old 09/21/2004, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Missed one of your questions...I've had all three of them for two months. They all stay put and dont go near eachother. The lfs never told me i had to stay with the same kind and they also told me that maroon and percula would get along. These people will do anything for a sale!!
Old 09/21/2004, 05:42 PM
Moved On

lol. Yes they sure will, I no of very very few if any people that have luck mixing them, unless you have over say 200 gallons of water, But maybe all will be well now that the maroon has a new home. I hope it is allot smaller then the anemone? So happy for ya, best of luck
Old 09/21/2004, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Just a picture for you Thealy...

Old 09/21/2004, 06:36 PM
Moved On

Hey Cool JK, I see you want them to spawn? Any luck?
Old 09/21/2004, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

No, I had the pot in there for the occelaris to hang out in. Then one of my nanos carshed leaving the maroon without a home. I plopped him in trying to save his life and they paired up. Now they are living in a 55 gallon and have been cleaning around a cave. I really had no intention of breeding them, just didn't want the little guy to die.
Old 09/21/2004, 06:55 PM
Moved On

lol, I see, they look happy.
Old 09/21/2004, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

thank you guys, your input is extremely helpful. Now I'm just worried about my maroon. He's still in my BTA and he's obviously hungry. When its feeding time he goes just an inch or two away from the BTA to grab food but can't reach it. I know he's hungry but he doesn't want to leave the BTA- - should i feed him with a turkey baster or wait a few days?