Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/25/2004, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

A. allardi pics.

These little guys aren't very cooperative, so the pics are a little blurry and off-center, but I thought I would share...

Old 08/25/2004, 10:48 PM

Very nice little babies you got there Chris.
Old 08/26/2004, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

I love my a. allardi.....they have great personality.

Those are nice babies.
Old 08/26/2004, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, they do seem to have a spunky personality. I just get a big kick out of watching them "swim", they are so inefficient.
Old 08/26/2004, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

are these really allardis? they look like the clarkiis/seabae i see at the lfs very often.
Old 08/26/2004, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

A. allardi for sure.

Chris, good luck with them
Old 09/13/2004, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Hey guys/gals, I have a question about the pairing of these two.

I've had them for about a month now, and I wouldn't say they really fight, the big girl (about 50% bigger than the little guy) chases aroung the little guy here and there but nothing major at all. They do not share the same anemone, and the little guy is only allowed in the rbta when big momma isn't in it. She also keeps an eye on him when it's feeding time, which means he has to try and sneak some food.

Should I be looking for signs of pairing that differs from percula's? If so, what are they? Should I add a third one? And the most important question, am I just being to impatient?

Thanks, Chris
Old 09/13/2004, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Do they sleep near each other?

IMO, if she is allowing him to swim around her freely and not driving him behind the rocks or up into a corner every chance she gets then you have what will soon be a pair.

And the most important question, am I just being to impatient?

Probably
Old 09/13/2004, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

They sleep in their own anemones which are ~ 6" away from each other. The only time they stray away from their anemone's is to eat, otherwise they are always within ~ 6" of each other and their respective anemone's. It seems like if he gets a little to close to her anemone he gets chased out of there. But heck, my brazilian golden moray gets slapped in the face if he gets to close to her host. lol
Old 09/14/2004, 02:46 PM
Clownfish Enthusiast

where did you get them, I would love to get a couple, any left?
thanks
Old 09/14/2004, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Sorry, no mas ezhoops.

I was really stupid when I first bought the four I did because the wholesaler had a tank full for $11/each, but I wasn't sure they were allardi's. So, I bought four and gave two to a friend. The larger one of his two has seemingly hooked up with a large perc in his tank, so there's a little odd man out which I will take if we can ever catch him.
Old 09/14/2004, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Chris, where did you get these guys? Was it in Chicago?
Old 09/14/2004, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

beautiful fish criccio haha i have a chinese shar pei too! mines a little runt, funny how we share the same interests
Old 09/14/2004, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeejFish
i have a chinese shar pei too! mines a little runt, funny how we share the same interests
I want one too, but Chris, he... he.. advised me not to have one at my level of knowledge about shar pei. Only fair

Last edited by MarinaP; 09/14/2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09/14/2004, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

JKramer0706, I bought them at the suburban wholesaler, but they are all long gone as that was about a month ago. Have you been to Old Town lately and seen those A. melanopus from Vanuatu? Those are some beautiful clowns, but such a hefty price tag.

PeejFish, yeah, that's my black, male, brushcoat. I also have a female that's a fawn horsecoat (I should probably give her equal time as my avatar). What type do you have?

Marina, I think you're very well prepared to handle a pei because they remind me of clownfish. First, all the money that is spent acquiring and taking care of them. And second, the heartbreak when they're ill. But they sure are fun when they're happy and healthy, I wouldn't change a thing.

ezhoops, speaking of Old Town (in Chicago), they have had a pair of allardi's for about six months now, but I'm sure that's because they have a $200 price tag. If you monitor their website you might catch a 25% off sale. They also have a luecokranos (I think about $150), but there is no white dorsal stripe what-so-ever. It really looks like a nigripes minus the black underside.
Old 09/14/2004, 09:21 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

Those are some great looking clowns you got there!
DLCKWOOD

David Lockwood
Old 09/15/2004, 06:54 AM
Clownfish Enthusiast

anyone know of any online dealers where I could get some A. Allardi's?
My LFS have a terrible selection of clowns, the rarest they get is a cinnamon clown
Old 09/15/2004, 12:12 PM
Koi Pimp

Those are Awesome Fish I bought one for a girlfriend a few years ago.. Definately great personalities
Old 09/20/2004, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Hey guys/gals,

I just picked this guy up last week at a lfs being sold as an allardi. After comparing it with my other allardi's I'm wondering if he really is an allardi, what do you think? The front bar does not have the nice wide top tapered towards the bottom like my other two. And, it's bottom fins are a lot more yellow than both of my others. Also, the tail fin does not have as nice a white stripe on it as my other two. Keep in mind my other two are both smaller and larger than the new one.

Thanks, Chris

Old 09/21/2004, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Any thoughts? Hello?
Old 09/21/2004, 09:05 PM
RC Mod

They are gorgeous.
I am clueless
Old 09/21/2004, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanks anyway traveller, that's pretty much how my day's been going.
Old 09/21/2004, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Hi Chris,

I don't know what they would be if they weren't allardi. There is variety within each clownfish species. Just because someone made some generalization about the shape of the head bar doesn't mean every single fish is going to be like that. That is one of the bad things about the literature in our hobby. One person (or scientist) makes an observation based on their limited experiance and it somehow gets repeated over and over again in the literature and becomes accepted as fact, when it never was really true in the first place.