Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/22/2004, 06:31 PM
Grimreefer

You guys should call the american equivelent to the RSCPA on them.. get them fined or kicked in the butt to put it in a larger enclosure... because that shouldnt happen.
Alpheus bisincisus (mated pair), Alpheus bellulus x2, Lysmata debelius, Stenopus zanzibaricus, Petrolisthes militalis x2, Mithrax sculptus x3, Callianassa sp. ?, Odontodactylus scyllarus, Gonodactylaceus ternatensis]
Old 07/22/2004, 07:30 PM
Club Euroreef

Unless it's a protected species i don't think there is an organization that deals with fish.

Anyhow Glass cages is were i will be purchassing my next tank either the 48x49x25 240 cube or the 48x49x31 310 cube same foot print just different heights i got a rough estimete on the 240 shipped around $1000-$1100 They are the cheapest so far for the features i want. Acording to the old lady this will be the last tank upgrade so i am leaning towards the 310 unless.....

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
Old 07/22/2004, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwm2k3
sly, this is no joke or exaggeration. There is a lfs in Boston that has a 4 1/2 foot wobbygong shark in a 125 tank. The first I heard about it I was shocked. Then I went in to see it....

It cant even move, nevermind turn around...

They want $1500.00 for it.

That is complete animal abuse.

sounds like a typical day at work

glasscages is quite a bit cheaper because they are a manufacturer that sells to the public without going through a dealer. If you can make it to one of their shows to pick up the tank, you don't have to have it shipped.

gordon
Old 07/22/2004, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

ok here is a shark story i talked to my lfs about gettign sharks in my 125 they are like allright we ahev 2 nurse sharks comming in two of them would fit nicly in your tank. they said 1 for 100 2 for 150. I bought one and thought it looked cool and about 3 weeks later I go back and the other shark is dead. That is when i figured out i needed to get rid of it I knew I dident have a big enough tank I looked arround for a place for 2 months and could not find one that would take it finally did and just gave it to him bes thing I ever did he sold it to a guy with a 500 gallon tank so i thought that was good. Now I ahve learned never buy anything that will grow too big for your tank there is no need to buy somthing that needs a whole new set up.

That 4 1/2 foor wobbygong shark how does it move?? or does it and allso what in the he11 were they thinking there nitrates ar probbally at 160ppm It is a shark it needs atleast 500 maybe a 1000 what retards.

I will never buy a shark again it was the dumbest thing ever!
Old 07/23/2004, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

I am sure most don't but some people really do upgrade their tanks. I went from a 12 to 45 to 75 to 150. Then I kept the 150 and added a 215,42, and new 75. Eventually we will upgrade the 215 when we get a bigger house.
Old 07/26/2004, 04:22 PM
Super Bowl Champ

Quote:
Originally posted by nickiwit
I am sure most don't but some people really do upgrade their tanks. I went from a 12 to 45 to 75 to 150. Then I kept the 150 and added a 215,42, and new 75. Eventually we will upgrade the 215 when we get a bigger house.
Nick, this is exactly what I am talking about. You DID upgrade. Whats the percentage of those who say they will, and DONT...
Old 07/26/2004, 10:16 PM
Brains 'n Wrasses

i upgraded

then downgraded.

yeah, i have plans for when i get a house, and all that stuff. BUT I won't go out now 2 years ahead of time to get the orange shouldered tang and the angels and b-flies that I want.

all I could throw them in is a 55, and thats not good at all!!!

hafta agree... hate stupid people
Its a hard hobby: not like cars, where you can go out, buy what you want now and get it over with. You have to buy the body first, then the engine: and if you wired everything right, it might go somewhere. If you did something wrong...
Old 07/27/2004, 08:48 AM
Super Bowl Champ

Quote:
Originally posted by lilswanwillow
i upgraded

then downgraded.

Me too. Started with a 55, then went right to a 180, then a 120 and a 30, upgraded the 30 to a 38 (big deal!) and went to a 450. Sold the 450 and have just the 120 and the 38.

I think not only tank size is important, but the fish size too. The two fish I have now will live in a 120 for a LONG time. The wrasse is pretty much full grown at 7 to 8 inches and my grouper is 9 inches now, with only a few more inches to go. Neither of these fish are big open water swimmers like angels or tangs....

Someone on this board says, "Strive for the optimum enviornment, not the minimum".
Old 07/27/2004, 09:04 AM
Brains 'n Wrasses

yeah, my fish will never outgrow my tank... a piddly little 29 gallon (with a 250 watt MH on top )
Its a hard hobby: not like cars, where you can go out, buy what you want now and get it over with. You have to buy the body first, then the engine: and if you wired everything right, it might go somewhere. If you did something wrong...
Old 07/27/2004, 05:34 PM
RC Mod

I haven't read this whole thread, but this has always been a big beef of mine. I hear this all the time, and I heard it all the time when I worked at an LFS. I'd say that maybe 1 in 20 actually do upgrade as planned. Most people have it pushed back for years, if not indefinitely.
It's pretty much just a way to justify putting a fish into a tank that's too small for it.
Now, if you already have the tank you're upgrading to, but it's just not quite ready, that's a little different, but that's usually not the case.

Dave
Old 07/27/2004, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Has anybody here actually bought a bigger house so they could have a bigger tank? Now that would be real dedication!
Old 07/27/2004, 06:58 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by SBSB
Has anybody here actually bought a bigger house so they could have a bigger tank? Now that would be real dedication!
I don't know of anyone who's done that, but I do know several people who have made a good location for a large tank one of the big factors in which house to buy.

Dave
Old 07/28/2004, 08:38 AM
Super Bowl Champ

Quote:
Bought a new house recently, it didnt have room for my 450, so I sold that tank. The good news is that the equity from the old house is going to be spent on a great room addition with an in wall tank AT LEAST as big as the one I just sold....

"I swear Im getting a bigger tank"

Old 07/28/2004, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I didnt buy my house for the tank space alone, obviously there were several reasons we bought our house where we did. But, for me it was a definite selling point to have a place to put a large tank. If we looked at a house that there was not going to be enough space for my tank (180 at the time) that house was not on the top of my list. Needless to say, my wife wasnt happy about some of my reason's for not wanting a particular house, but in the end it couldnt have worked out better.

Jeff
Old 07/29/2004, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwm2k3
sly, this is no joke or exaggeration. There is a lfs in Boston that has a 4 1/2 foot wobbygong shark in a 125 tank. The first I heard about it I was shocked. Then I went in to see it....

It cant even move, nevermind turn around...

They want $1500.00 for it.

That is complete animal abuse.
Which one ? I thought I had been to every LFS in/around Boston, and I haven't seen that !

(town or section of Boston is enough if you don't want to name the store...)
Old 07/30/2004, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

I will tell you of a show tank at an LFS near where I live. It doesn't have shraks but has the following in a 4x2x2. All are small though, mostly Juveniles.
2x Majestic Angels
1x Flagfin Angel
1x Annularis Angel
2x Golden Angels
1x Nox Angel
1x Clown Tang
4x Tukas Anthias
1x Yellow watchman Goby
1x Blue Tang
3-5 Lubbocks Wrasses
4x Carpenter Flashers
2x Spotted Mandarins
3x Tamerin Wrasses
1x Harliquen Tusk Fish (Juv Colours, very cool)
1x Yellow Longnose Butterfly.

There are a few more then this but I can't remember them all.

The tank is always changing fish with some coming and going every time I visit, this is what they had on Monday. I ask them where they are going, he said he sells them.
I don't think so.

Its pretty sad because customers come in, see how many fish they have then want to do the same.
Old 07/30/2004, 03:49 AM
Registered Member

I will tell you of a show tank at an LFS near where I live. It doesn't have shraks but has the following in a 4x2x2. All are small though, mostly Juveniles.
2x Majestic Angels
1x Flagfin Angel
1x Annularis Angel
2x Golden Angels
1x Nox Angel
1x Clown Tang
4x Tukas Anthias
1x Yellow watchman Goby
1x Blue Tang
3-5 Lubbocks Wrasses
4x Carpenter Flashers
2x Spotted Mandarins
3x Tamerin Wrasses
1x Harliquen Tusk Fish (Juv Colours, very cool)
1x Yellow Longnose Butterfly.

There are a few more then this but I can't remember them all.

The tank is always changing fish with some coming and going every time I visit, this is what they had on Monday. I ask them where they are going, he said he sells them.
I don't think so.

Its pretty sad because customers come in, see how many fish they have then want to do the same.
Old 07/30/2004, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Well, I will add my name to those who are upgrading for their fish.
Bought a cow fish 1 year ago on the basis that 100g would be enough for a year or three, but the little git grows like theclappers.

The 375Uk Gallon tank will be delivered on the 21st August.
Can't wait to put him and the sailfin tang in...

Will be keeping the 5ft as a reef, and have a 2ft which we are aiming to try and breed mandarins in, so may have to start charging friends an entry fee to my house !!

BUT< I have no doubt that many say they will, and never do, then watch as their fish get stressed and die due to poor and cramped conditions. So annoying.

As for that shark, there must be some form of animal welfare as said above the RSPCA equivalent or OATA or someone you can call and get that poor shark back into the ocean.
Old 07/30/2004, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

i'm another who bought fish with the thought of upgrading. i started with a 29, had a few fish including a regal tang, upgraded 4 months later to a 75, bought a few more fish that i knew would eventually outgrow the tank, and here it is, 9 months after that upgrade and i'm getting ready to set up a 200.

i'm sure if i had posted that i had a regal in a 29, i'd have been bashed to no end, but over a year later, he's still only about 3.5" long (from his starting length of 2") and getting ready to move into a mansion.

there are ppl that make empty promises and there are ppl who discuss their want of a big tank with their women before comitting to the idea...that is the difference =D

i hope this is the last upgrade for a long while, but maybe i'm one of the ppl who say they won't upgrade, but it just winds up being an empty promise
Old 07/30/2004, 09:15 AM
Super Bowl Champ

Quote:
Originally posted by redpaulhus
Which one ? I thought I had been to every LFS in/around Boston, and I haven't seen that !

(town or section of Boston is enough if you don't want to name the store...)

OH, I have no problem naming the store. I hate that place. Its called Boston Tropicals, right near the Lechmere T station, across from McDonalds.

All employees are smoking while working (Would you like ashes with your fish?) the wooden shelves that the tanks are on are all rotten and the place just plain bites it.

I swear the wobbygong shark cannot move. Its belly is huge and I would bet my hard earned money they feed it dead goldfish....
Old 07/30/2004, 09:25 PM
Big Boy Pants

I just picked up my 210 AGA w/mega overflows. This tank is as big as I'm going. I'm not getting any fish that will outgrow it. My wife said "Get the biggest tank now & stop there." I think the best part of this hobby, is setting up a new tank.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net