Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/27/2004, 12:27 AM
Moved On

ill probobly just aim my PH right across the tank like i do know( if only away to make a small stream of water in to a wider stream... ANY IDEAS)
Old 07/27/2004, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Like I said before, I had really good results pointing the PH at the near wall at an angle. As a result, you have the water bouncing off the wall at a much broader and less intense rate so you're not blowing the fish around. But that's just me.
Old 07/28/2004, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Old 08/02/2004, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

These things seem like a good idea, just wish they didn't sacrifice so much flow. I wish that they would label or report flow loss due to the head pressure created by these things.

At first, when I did look at it. I was wondering, does it suck in water from those slits. If so, I thought that it might work like a mini-eductor, where it actually pulls in more flow due to the venturi effect that it created, but it doesn't seem to work that way at all. What are the slits for? Do they suck in water or does water leak from the slits?

Peace,
John H.
Old 08/02/2004, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

what slits? there aren't any slits in the hydor. it attachs to the out-take of a ph, that is where it gets the water. Then, inside of the hydor is where the "rotating mechanism" is located, the hydor rotates from the flow of the powerhead without using any other power source. the water is then deflected out the front of the hydor at around a 30-45 degree angle. my tank is 30x12x20, 37g. and my maxijet 1200 w/ hydor attachment creates a current in my entire tank, something the maxi alone never did. i would think a decrease in flow would be minimal, considering mine moves the sand at the bottom front of my tank when the hydor rotates.
Old 08/03/2004, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

hi weimluv1,

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like it has slits in it, but I guess that it does not. I heard that it does lower flow by about 30% so we're talking a little over 200 gph w/ the hydor attachment w/ a maxijet1200. How high up do you have the hydor + maxijet in your tank and how far from the front of the tank is the powerhead? I'm wondering how effective this system will be as right now I'm looking for a temporary solution for flow in my 60 gallon cube. I have a wavemaker for the maxijets so I'm not sure if I really need these hydors. If I do get the hydors, I'll eliminate the wavetimer. I will also have a iwaki55rlt pushing water through a SCWD for additional flow.

Thanks for the input.

Peace,
John H.
Old 08/03/2004, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

it's about 3-4" below the water line. if you put it too far down, it will just blow the sand away from your sand bed. my tank is only 12" in depth. i'm sure the hydor would work better with a tank that is deeper.

if you have a wavemaker then why do you want to switch? i only tried the hydor because of cost. all i can say is try them. if you don't like them, you can always give em to me, as i will be upgrading soon
Old 08/03/2004, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Well, even with a wavemaker/timer, you only get flow in those directions they are pointed, albeit, intermittently as they are turned on and off, with the hydor, you could vary it up a bit more I suppose... just wish they didn't constrict flow like that.

I may give it a whirl just to see how they work.

Peace,
John H.
Old 08/03/2004, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

weimluv,

only 12" in depth, but it says you have a 37g tall/ show. They are only 12" How long and wide is the tank?

Peace,
John H.
Old 08/03/2004, 03:11 PM
Running 26.2

His 37g is 30"x12"x20" (as posted above). Those dimensions are a little different from the 37's I'm familiar with, such as my own (24"x18"x21").

The whole ? about how deep a tank is gets confusing. Are people refering to the depth of the water (top-to-bottom) or the depth of the tank, which is most often the front glass to back glass.
Old 08/03/2004, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

haha...i was talking about front to back.

30x12x20 is referring to length, width (depth), and height.

xchrsjb, wow i like your tank meas. a lot better than mine. my damn tank is way to narrow from front to back. where did you get yours at ?

mine is the eclipse 37 gallon that came with the hood.
Old 08/03/2004, 04:06 PM
Running 26.2

Mine's an Oceanic 37g, which I found at a PetSmart. I think I paid something like $150 (and about the same for the matching stand) for it, but I've heard they've been on sale lately. I personally think it's about the perfect size for a small tank. The 18" of depth (front-to-back ) is a real plus. Here's a picture of the tank when I set it up a few weeks ago. It's not much to look at, but I'm having to take it slow. I'll see if I can upload some newer pics to my gallery this evening.

Oh yeah, I've been following this thread intently, especially now that I've got two MaxiJet 1200's in the tank (replaced the Eheim PH).
Old 08/03/2004, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

does anyone know where i can buy the hydor attachment in Canada?
Old 08/03/2004, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

I just bought 2 hydors a few weeks ago for my 55. They're available from fosters and smith - I think they would ship to Canada.

They definitely seem to create a much better random flow - I'm getting current in nooks and crannnies I couldn't before. The downsides - even positioned close to the surface, I have gotten a fairly deep pit dug into the sand bed.
The other is the size - they do make a power head a lot larger and more obtrusive.
Old 08/03/2004, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

saltydoc, they only ship within the US. anyone else?
Old 08/03/2004, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

shyne, hmmm.....do a search there are a few others selling htem....try ebay too.

xchrisjb....grrhh....that is the tank i was thinking about buying. it was literally on the other side of the aisle at petsmart from where i found my 300 dollar eclipse piece of crap. well it is a piece of crap for reef tanks at least. my roommate suggested i buy the one you have...but nO i HAD to have the eclipse....lol.

saltydoc, yeah they stick out like a sore thumb. and if you have a tank that is 18" or shorter in height i would imagine you would have trouble with the sand bed. maybe try a maxijet 900 or smaller!?

my suggestion is to use just one hydor in the middle just to randomize a little. then, use two ph on each side pointed in directions you want them. when the hydor turns, it will break up the other two ph currents and cause randomness at irregular intervals.
Old 08/05/2004, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Shyne,
All I can tell you is that Hydor is an Italian company, and their website is www.hydor.com. The product we're talking about is the "flo" adapter. There's an email option on the website.

Maybe the company can provide info to you re Canadian vendors.
Old 08/05/2004, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

thanks saltydoc! i'll try contacting them.