Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2004, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Compatibility Question in 135 gallon tank

I recently lost my Harlequin Tusk when my tank got ick a while back, and now I want to add a Porcupine Puffer to my FOWLR setup in my 135 gallon.

What's in it so far:

Clown Trigger
Snowflake Eel
Hippo Tang
4 Starfish of various sizes
20 or so Snails and hermit crabs

Any compatibility issues with the Porcupine Puffer with these guys? What about long term growth issues? Let me know what you think.
Old 07/23/2004, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

I was also thinking of adding a Cleaner Wrasse. Is this pushing the envelope? Any compatibility issues? If not, which do you guys advise I get? I've never had a puffer or wrasse, but they both interest me. I especially like the idea that the wrasse cleans parasites off of the other fish.
Old 07/23/2004, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Cleaners warsses are notorious for having the worst survival rate in captivity, do a search on them and you will see. As far as the other fish the clown is probably going to get too big for the 135, and between him and the eel those 20 snails/crabs, and the starfish will be eaten in no time flat.
Old 07/23/2004, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

I think a porcupine would be fine with those fish but will probably eat the starfish. I would not add a cleaner wrasse. The trigger or eel might eat it. There are larger more aggressive wrasses that you could add.
Old 07/23/2004, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

I try to be a bit conservative when it comes to the amount of fish in my tank. I see people on here with 90 gallon tanks that have twice the fishload that I do without a UV filter or other high end devices that I have on my tank. I think I will add the Porcupine Puffer, but I'm not sure about the wrasse. Are there any that perform some kind of cleaning function that are more likely to survive? If not, then I will just not add one and only get the puffer. Let me know what you think.
Old 07/23/2004, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Also, is there another, less starfish aggressive puffer that I could snag instead of the Porcupine? I do like the way they look the best, but I also like my cleaning crew.
Old 07/23/2004, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I'm not so sure an aggressive trigger is good with that puffer. I've had experience with a large Angel and a porcupine puffer, and the Angel would nip it the puffer as it hovered in the tank.
Old 07/23/2004, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

There really is not any other cleaning wrasse that you could put in your tank.

I am not sure if there is a type of puffer that would not eat your starfish. I have a dogface and porcupine puffer and they would both eat the starfish. I am surprised that your clown trigger does not eat them.
Old 07/24/2004, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

Any other suggestions for tank mates then? I seem to be a little slim on options according to you guys.
Old 07/24/2004, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I can only offer suggestions based upon my experience, which is strictly fish. I have never had starfish or snails so I have no idea what is incompatible with them. From a strictly fish standpoint I would get another Tusk. I have one and I think they are one of the best choices. I however introduced mine as one of the first fish in the tank because they are (in my experience) non aggressive. I don’t know if that trigger has established himself to the point that he will want to tear up ANY new guys. I have a blue throat trigger and it is the most non-aggressive trigger I have ever seen. My little flame angel chases him on occasion. I however would place Clown triggers in the much more aggressive category. In my mind, the fact that he is in there now, a new guy may become a target for him.
Old 07/24/2004, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

You could add a grouper, lionfish, large angel, naso tang. Just a few suggestions.
Old 07/24/2004, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Guess I had my hopes up for a puffer. I don't want a fish war in my tank though.