Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2004, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Can you recommend Maxi-jet powerhead?

Hi, I want to install two Maxi-jet 1200 power heads in my FO tank, I have been using aquaclear for some years with good results. Somebody can tell us any experience?
Thanks
Old 07/23/2004, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

I've used both aquaclears and maxi-jets, and ime, they are both excellent powerheads... I've never had a problem with either brand. I have an AC802 running a CO2 reactor for my plant tank continuously for the past 3 years with no hiccups. My 30 gallon reef is also powered with a couple of maxi-jets that are at least 5+ years old, and my kalk reactor's mixing pump is also a maxi-jet. I also use a couple of AC402s to mix my saltwater. IMHO, the key to good powerhead life is proper maintanence.

-Richer
Old 07/23/2004, 05:52 PM
Truth Seeker

Have Maxi Jets, many of them. Love 'em. Use them for just about everything....
Old 07/23/2004, 08:09 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Fagan
Have Maxi Jets, many of them. Love 'em. Use them for just about everything....
Ditto.

Kevin
Old 07/23/2004, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

If you usse them on a wave maker they don't "chatter". I use them and very happy
Old 07/24/2004, 09:50 AM
Dirty Reefer

Maxi Jets are probably the best. I would recomend that you compare the MJ 900 to the MJ 1200. There is little difference in the GPH but the 900 uses a lot less watts which will mean less heat in your tank. I swapped out 4 -1200's for 900's. I am now trying one of the NEW Rio Seio 620's (no Rio lectures OK )

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 08/06/2004, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobster
Maxi Jets are probably the best. I would recomend that you compare the MJ 900 to the MJ 1200. There is little difference in the GPH but the 900 uses a lot less watts which will mean less heat in your tank. I swapped out 4 -1200's for 900's. I am now trying one of the NEW Rio Seio 620's (no Rio lectures OK )
Any updates of the Seio's? Like em' so far?
Old 08/06/2004, 08:17 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

Maxi-jet's

does anybody know how many to use in a 58 gallon oceanic show tank? its like a big cube. thanx in advance, and im sorry that i hijacked this post also what size mj's do i need?
Old 08/06/2004, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

They're ok, out of 4 I run in the past 6 months I've had one impeller go bad. You have to clean them occasionally if you don't want them to seize. These are about as good as small powerheads get but they aren't perfect especially if you drip kalk and dose 2 part additives.
Old 08/06/2004, 09:46 AM
troublemaker

Re: Maxi-jet's

Quote:
Originally posted by CoralsOfTheworld
does anybody know how many to use in a 58 gallon oceanic show tank? its like a big cube. thanx in advance, and im sorry that i hijacked this post also what size mj's do i need?
Link a new thread ... I have a 58g Oceanic and would happily talk about it ... but would want to ask questions [what are you keeping?]. Link it, I'll follow.

---

I love my MJ's. Great comment about the power use between 900 + 1200. Very dependable, I'm very happy with my maxijets.

My seios too
Old 08/06/2004, 06:10 PM
Original Stoli Below

I really believe maintenance is the key to keeping Ph's running well. A good soak every 4-6 months in CLR will make the Maxi's run forever. Have one now that's going on five years of nearly continuous use.
Old 08/06/2004, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoli
I really believe maintenance is the key to keeping Ph's running well. A good soak every 4-6 months in CLR will make the Maxi's run forever. Have one now that's going on five years of nearly continuous use.
You're not afraid of contaminating your tank using CLR?
Old 02/28/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Last evening I acquired a SeaClone 100 skimmer that uses the MaxiJet 1200 powerhead. All was good till I put it into one of my freshwater aquariums to make sure all was well. I plugged it in and saw the cyclone forming in the tube - I smiled. Then I noticed the fish... All of them were laying huddled on the bottom not moving. I reached into the water and could feel umm a slight tingle. I immediately unplugged it and the fish returned to their normal behavior and no more shock. Everthing goes into a GFI outlet that the test button seems to work when I push it - so - do I return this to the retailer or is this a normal hazard get a ground probe?

Dave
Old 03/01/2007, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

In my 58 gallon Oceanic I have six Maxijets plugged into two Redsea Pro wavemaker. Two--400s, Two--900s and Two 1200s.
Old 03/01/2007, 08:05 AM
Garbologist

[moved]

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 03/01/2007, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

You should mod those Maxijets so they produce a wider stream of flow. The only bad thing about Maxijets, IMO, is that they produce a small, but faster, stream closer towards the powerhead, which makes it hard to give multiple corals good flow. You can go to mjmods.com and check out the modifications. My brother just did one himself, and now he has a MJ 1200 that pushes like 1200GPH, but its more of a bigger, slower flow, but pushing a lot of water. Sort of like how a Tunze would do.
Everyone I've talked to that had modded the MJs have loved them. (Cheaper than buying a Tunze system)
Old 03/01/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Old thread, half of year already...
My 2 cents, from experience: have Maxi-Jets 400, 600, 900, 2 x 1200 - bought in different time, thinking that the produced noise is just a bad particular specimen - but too much for coincidence, eh? Same for Micro-Jet 450 - the giant from the world of the micro pumps (take a look at the cord, hear the low roar and compare to the Tom's Microdive Clean - will see what I mean ).

Mini-Jet - same manufacturer - the completely different matter.

Only the last can be used, if the tank is close to the sleeping place. And I'm not too sensitive sleeper - but not the brain-dead either

Can't say about noise (these are in the basement), but judging by the fish reaction and power consumption, the Seio 620 is better than Maxi-Jet 1200 (replaced the last by Seio).

All is, of course, the matter of the personal preferences.
Any time I mention noise of the Maxi-Jets - mmm... You will see reaction on this post
Old 03/01/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I love Maxi Jets. I have 2 MJ1000's that are still running after 14 years. Never had to replace a part on them!!!
Old 03/01/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Half a year? Try 3 years in July!!!

Quote:
07/23/2004 04:13 PM
Man talk about digging into the archives.
40 gal. sump
hard/soft corals mixed
External CPR overflow@1400 G.P.H
Coral Life CSS 220
Mag 9.5 return
Old 03/01/2007, 04:05 PM
Team RC Member

Times have changed!
3 years ago Seios were just about to be introduced but not on the market yet, Tunze Nano Streams were not even on the horizon and neither were Hydor Koralias and the other products around today.
Powerheads, at least as they come from the factory are almost antiques now! Everyone is looking for better electrical efficiency, more compact designs, better mounting options and greater more dispersed flows.
Old 03/01/2007, 04:18 PM
Seahorse Wrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
Times have changed!
3 years ago Seios were just about to be introduced but not on the market yet, Tunze Nano Streams were not even on the horizon and neither were Hydor Koralias and the other products around today.
Powerheads, at least as they come from the factory are almost antiques now! Everyone is looking for better electrical efficiency, more compact designs, better mounting options and greater more dispersed flows.
As Tim the tool man used to say
More power
Old 03/01/2007, 04:30 PM
Team RC Member

Ya! Have you seen the new Binford 9800??? Its powered by a Harley, belt drive, dual exhaust..........More Power!