Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/16/2004, 02:34 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Texas Hill Country

Hey all. Just thought I'd share some pictures of the beautiful Texas hill country. This is at my grandparent's approx. 3,000 something acre ranch about an hour outside of San Antonio. You can't tell from the pic, but I am about 1,500 feet up on a hill. The further towards Utopia you go, the more beautiful the scenery is with more hills. Enjoy!

Old 06/16/2004, 02:37 PM
Reef Junkie

Those photos are beautiful. Nothing better than having green grass, mother nature and clear blue skies overhead.
Old 06/16/2004, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

nihonjin,

Nice pictures. Hey, what direction is Utopia from San Antonio? Is that north-west? I lived in Austin and the hills are beautiful. I never knew Texas has such scenery. You are quite the multi-linguist.
Old 06/16/2004, 03:11 PM

Ernest- Thanks. Utopia is...Umm...probably northwest of San Antonio. Driving to Utopia is quite an experience (drops,loops,turns everywhere!). I'll try to find a map and post a pic. I know that it's in Uvalde County.
Old 06/16/2004, 03:14 PM
Where's my motorcycle?

If Houston looked like that, I may have never left!
Old 06/16/2004, 03:18 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish-o-holic
Nothing better than having green grass, mother nature and clear blue skies overhead.
I live here. Trust me, that is NOT green grass. The grass is not greener in Texas. Heck, it's usually a dull brown.

What you are seeing is tons of the God-forsaken scrub brush that infests the entire state from 1500 feet up.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 06/16/2004, 03:22 PM
Crap Under User Name

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 06/16/2004, 03:28 PM

MarkS...Sadly alot of what you said is true...but alot of their ranch is really green actually. Alot of it is coastal also (cut for hay..seen in the second picture). It's so beautiful in their back pasture when it's bluebonnet/indian paintbrush season, because some of the smaller hills are totally covered on the sides.

Ernest...here is a map of Texas counties. The right red dot is Travis county (Austin). The middle red dot is Bexar county (San Antonio), and the left red dot is Uvalde county, where Utopia is. So actually, it is pretty much just west of San Antonio.

Old 06/16/2004, 03:30 PM

MarkS..sorry didn't see that you posted that map. Yours is certainly better than mine! But anyways..there's 2 maps that show where it is. We'll just use mine to see where Utopia is in relationship to other further Texas Counties
Old 06/16/2004, 03:33 PM

MarkS..how do you like living in San Antonio? I was born there and only lived there a few years. But I live only about 2 hours away from you, and it seems I'm in San Antonio at least every other weekend If I end up staying in Texas, I wouldn't mind living there again. BTW, I thought of you not too long ago when I saw one of the SA transit stations...
Old 06/16/2004, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Let me know if you ever need any help with keeping your Deer herds down.

Beutifull land I must say.
Old 06/17/2004, 01:16 PM
Moved On

What that picture doesn't show is how freaking hot it is. I have been to many a picturesque spot like that on the "Devil's Backbone" near Wimberly swetting my a$$ off.

I can't wait for summer to be over and it has just begun. Funny how when you are a kid you look forward to summer all year long and when you grow up you can't wait for it to be over.