Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/17/2004, 10:03 AM
Where's my motorcycle?

Question Who keeps a spare pump as a backup?

I'm starting to think I should really have a spare pump on hand in case my Mag12 (or Sedra) pump suddenly fails.

Who here keeps a spare pump around in case of a failure? How big is it in relation to the pump it might have to replace?

Is it better to just buy another expensive pump now, or a cheapy to get by on until an expensive replacement pump (or parts) could be ordered/delivered...if needed?
Old 06/17/2004, 10:06 AM
troublemaker

I kept my old LG pump I upgraded from. Figured used it would get maybe $50, and more than worth that in a jam.

Might hook it into my RO/new-salt barrels for mixing, etc.
Old 06/17/2004, 10:07 AM
Frugal Reefer

I have a Rio2100 on hand to act as back up in case either of my Mags die. It is comparable to my Mag7 skimmer pump and smaller than my Mag 9.5 return pump but I feel it will serve in a pinch, at least until I can get a replacement from MarineDepot which is 1-2 days depending on what time I order. If you have a standard pump like the Mag 12 I wouldn't worry about getting a replacement as long as you have something one hand to keep you going (even at reduced capacity) for a day or two. If you have a special or really big pump and it will take time to replace it, I think I would have a spare on hand.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 06/17/2004, 10:10 AM
Moved On

spares

oh yea spare little giant 4mdxq pump, spare 400 watt bulbs, Generator (spare power), & Lots of extra salt.

Wish I had a spare chiller!

You never know
Old 06/17/2004, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

I run a mag 7 as my return pumpand keep another mag 7 as a back up that is hook up to the system too just have to plug it in and I'm good to go.

75 gal tank
Old 06/17/2004, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

I always try to keep a spare pump, heater or whatever on hand.
That sort of stuff only seems to fail at night when the stores are closed
Old 06/17/2004, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

In a pinch I can disconnect my closed loop pump and use it in the place of my return pump. They are both Blueline pumps and can be swapped out if needed. I intend to get a dedicated spare. As mfinn says, this stuff is notorious for failing at O'dark 30 when all the stores are closed.
Old 06/17/2004, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

I just replaced my Velocity T3 with a Blueline 1100 to reduce the heat added to the water. I was thinking about selling the T3, but now I'm leaning towards keeping it as a spare. The nice thing is they both have the same connections (3/4" threaded) and about the same flow, so the T3 would be a perfect drop-in replacement in a pinch.

Besides, the T3 is only 6 months old and I bought it new - hate to take that 50% hit by selling it.
Old 06/18/2004, 05:22 AM
Where's my motorcycle?

Hmm, then again, this could be the perfect opportunity to upgrade to an even better pump and keep the Mag12 as a backup
Old 06/18/2004, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

Oh yea gotta have a "backup"
Old 06/20/2004, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

wouldn't go without them.Back ups are new pumps of equal size.
Old 06/20/2004, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

run my sump with two return pumps, should one fail there will still be water flow over the heaters skimers etc.

I have had a pump failure while on holiday and the second pump saved the tank.

have now replaced the original pumps with Iwaki but again use two.

Will try to link one to a float switch set up and a controler so if the first fails the second kicks in. with this set up i will only need to run one at a time and not two with restricted outputs
Old 06/20/2004, 06:30 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Yes, Yes, and oh yeah, yes.
Old 06/20/2004, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

I like having two pumps so I can take my time cleaning one while the other takes over.
Old 06/20/2004, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

OK - you guy's have scared me...I'm going to get a backup!!! My system has been relocated into the basement and now requires a BIG pump to move the volume up 13 feet - I have always had ways to wiggle around when it was on the same level.
Old 06/20/2004, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

You can count me in as having a back up. That is after it gets back from repair. My little Giant went out (froze up) after 7 years.

My 125 AGA reef was down for 60 hours....and didn't loose a thing! Till the replacement came (another Little Giant) I use just regular pumps with air stones.

This was about 4 months back when this happen. I just got around about 10 days ago in sending the bad pump to Little Giant for repair.