Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you feed your lion?
ghost shrimp 1 10.00%
mollies 0 0%
guppies 1 10.00%
damsels 0 0%
frozen foods (brine shrimp, krill, silversides, cyclop-eeze, etc.) 8 80.00%
freeze-dried foods (brine, krill, cyclop-eeze) 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06/09/2004, 07:26 PM
Not that way, minions!!

What do you feed your lion?

Just looking for the best thing to feed my lil' baby dwarf zebra!
Old 06/10/2004, 09:52 AM
10 & Over Club

at first ghost shrimp...hands down..
After about 3 weeks to a month start the weaning process and get him eating dead prepared foods. You might consider using PE frozen mysis as the weaning food.
Have you read the lionfish info sheet? (see the sticky at the top of this forum entitled Nov reefkeeping on scorpionfish- its a must read for lion keepers)
frank
Old 06/10/2004, 07:41 PM
Not that way, minions!!

Ok, tried the ghost shrimp. Nada. The lion won't touch 'em. He just lets them sit in the tank until they die a few days later. Any suggestions?
Old 06/10/2004, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

i am picking up my baby dwarf zebra on monday... i have read that they were relatively easy to ween onto frozen. is this a myth? i did read the column posted on this forum, along with several other lionfish resources. any suggestions?
Old 06/11/2004, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

get some medium size silversides and make them look "alive" with a feeder rod. if that doesn' work, i made a feeder rig using a piece of fishing line tied to half a toothpick with a small barb cut to hold the line. it worked like a charm to fool my volitan and after a week he ate silversides as they dropped in the water.
Old 06/11/2004, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

My 2 inch Zebra Dwarf scarfed down 4 ghosts within a couple seconds the first day I got him. In a couple weeks I am going to switch him over to silversides.
Old 06/11/2004, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Often when small lionfish refuse to eat live ghost shrimp it's a sign that it is either ill or intimidated by something else in the tank, and yes, even with venomous spines they are easily intimidated by boisterous or aggressive tankmates.

If yours hasn't eaten yet, I'd suggest a few small, live mollies....they will thrive in the marine tank and if they don't inspire an attack once the live ghost shrimp have failed, the odds for success are very slim.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but it's not unusual to get small lionfish from the LFS that are ill and won't eat, many simply dying from starvation in 1-2 weeks.

Good luck to you...remember, each fish is an individual and what works for most doesn't necessarily work for all, and the exceptions can be a real challenge.

Mike
Old 06/11/2004, 03:16 PM
Not that way, minions!!

The lil' guy does eat live mollies (teeny ones). But he still refuses to eat the ghost shrimp. He has been eating since I got him, but I'm trying to figure out how to wean him to frozen foods.
Old 06/11/2004, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Ah.....now that's GOOD news!

Do you have a small (10 gal. or so) tank where he can be isolated for a while?
If it's eating live mollies now, then the odds are it will switch to frozen silversides as well.....start out by cutting one up into small pieces, preferably one piece with the eyes and another with the tail.
A piece with eyes will often inspire a strike if dropped in front of him, especially into the return current.
Some are a LOT harder than others, with my all time hold out being a fish that demanded live feeders only for over a year.

He's now a bottomless pit that eats anything and has fathered more than 50 batches of eggs.
Hang in there!

Mike
Old 06/11/2004, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

i am putting my zebra lion in my 20H predator tank which is hooked into my 20H reef, refugium, skimmer, ect... but i don't have much for the lionfish to hide behind. although he will be in there by himself, i know that lionfish need to hide while adjusting to a new tank. all i have in there right now is a large brain coral skeleton and a corona bottle. any suggestions (other than more liverock--that will probably come later) of what i could use for structure in my tank?
Old 06/11/2004, 03:52 PM
Not that way, minions!!

Quote:
Originally posted by M.Dandaneau
Do you have a small (10 gal. or so) tank where he can be isolated for a while?
I don't really think I should need to isolate him, he's in a 20H with a 4" Bangaii Cardinal. Thre lion is about 3." Do you think he could be intimidated by a cardinal?
Old 06/11/2004, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

StrongHandsMcGee, I'm pretty sure yours isn't intimidated unless it's in with the killer bangai from outer space!

As for yours Iowa, anything works...base rock (which eventually becomes LR...I like red lava rock myself, and have been using it with no ill effect for 20 years), artificial sponges or whatever appeals to your sense of aesthetics.

Mike
Old 06/11/2004, 04:40 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

dont think so, bangaii cardinals are peaceful

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena