Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Boston Reefers Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2004, 11:52 AM
HMMM........

Talking looking for rat cage

Ok as title states my daughters rats are outgrowing their home I am looking for a cheap 20 or 30 breeder tank or old acrylic sump or something looking for width and lenghth no care on height Thanks
Old 04/30/2004, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

You may want to see if anyone has an old rabbit or guinea pig cage they don't need - ventilation on a glass tank isn't really good enough for rats (we've got our male in a what is supposed to be a 'big' rat cage, and are actually looking at moving him to a multi-level ferret cage, especially since my wife wants to add a second rat...)

years ago we had a rat in a glass tank and it was always stuffy and stinky...

Personally I try to avoid the 'mesh' bottom rabbit cages - I think they are pretty harsh on their tiny feet (as opposed to Thumper's big paws) - which is why I like gp or ferret cages - the floors are usually designed with little feet in mind...
Old 04/30/2004, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

hmm i seem to recall someone recently giving away a ferret cage.... wonder who that was.....this is why I save everything and my house looks like it does!
Old 04/30/2004, 03:06 PM
fishing for complements

Oh, so you're not looking for a studio apartment in Watertown?
Old 04/30/2004, 04:50 PM
well lit glass box keeper

Sometimes I feel like my office is a Rat cage........ Depending on what deal I'm working on ...LOL

The more you think you know...The more you need to learn
Old 04/30/2004, 05:33 PM
HMMM........

redpaulhus
do the rats not chew threw the wire mesh? that is why I was leaning towards a breeder tank maybe 30 or 40
gives the space but less chance of hurting themselves due to glass ?? How long have you had your male?
Old 05/01/2004, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

he hasn't touched the wire... we've had him since last August.

Of course, he always has lots of other things to chew in there, plus at least a few food items (he's a little spoiled) besides his regular food - so the wire is probably pretty low on his list of things to taste

My wife takes him out daily for some interaction (play time) - he sits on her shoulder while she watches TV. He also rolls around the house in a big "rat ball" while she cleans the cage - he likes to chase our German Shepard around...
Old 05/01/2004, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage.
Old 05/01/2004, 08:42 AM
20 & over club

good song!