Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/09/2004, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Question Toadstool Leather ?

We have had our Toadstool Leather for about 3 weeks now. It seems to be doing ok. But twice now it has retracted for about two days and had a mucous layer that it has shed. Then it comes back out. Why does it do that and is it bad?

Also our TL came attached to 3 different rocks. One of which he is only attached by a small little thread. Can I cut this part off?

I have attached a pic.
Old 04/09/2004, 05:26 PM
Fish Yenta

AFAIK, it's normal. However, the periodic shedding seemed to bother my other corals, so I got in the habit of sucking off the loose skin with a turkey baster each night until it was done, which seemed to help keep the other corals happy.
Old 04/09/2004, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

I have been removing the shedding parts as well.
Thanks for the info.

Although I am still curious if I can cut him free from the rock.
Anyone know.
Old 04/09/2004, 09:00 PM
Really Good Fisherman

Quote:
Originally posted by Suave
I have been removing the shedding parts as well.
Thanks for the info.

Although I am still curious if I can cut him free from the rock.
Anyone know.
You should be able too they are pretty hardy - the piece left on the rock will eventually develop into a new coral.
Old 04/09/2004, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Should have no problem at all cutting .I have found doing small cuts on base is a great way to get new toadstools.
Tommy
Old 04/09/2004, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll cut him tomorrow
Old 04/10/2004, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

One caution- Sarcophyton can be *very* toxic, especially if cut (as I understand it you never want to frag them in the main tank or sump/fuge). I'd be concerned about poisoning the tank and possibly killing other corals.
Old 04/10/2004, 10:59 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Good point.

A good habit is to cut all frags in a container outside the main tank, let it spew for a minute then set the pieces back into the tank. Toss the frag water.

Considering we don't know the degree of damage any given leather does spewing that juice, or how much spewing any given amount of trauma on that given leather causes, why chance it if at all avoidable.
Old 04/10/2004, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Why cut him? There appears to be plenty of space around him...why not let it grow to say a foot to 2 feet wide? I have found it easier to maintain a tank with a few large pieces that a bunch of tiny pieces that are trying to cover up every inch.

Just place it in a space that gets a lot of flow, the shedding will come off on its own.
Old 04/10/2004, 12:08 PM
Keena R.I.P

One thing I've noticed. If the leather is kept in a high flow area, the times it sheds will be few and far between.
Old 04/10/2004, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. This morning the part detached by itself. I assume no toxins were released in the tank since it came apart on its own. But if I ever try to frag it I won't do it in the tank. Thanks, cause I didn't know about the toxins.
Old 04/10/2004, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Here's a pic of the toadstool today.

Also the main reason I wanted to cut loose the one rock in front was it kept getting knocked loose from the large rock and hanging down. I tried to apoxy it a couple of times.

Well it looks like the problem took care of itself.
Hopefully I get another toadstool out of it.