Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tennessee Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/24/2004, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Question Perfect Plumbing Plans?

Hello All
We're planning on recarpeting our house. Not tomorrow, but hopefully before Santa visits again. Since the tanks will be totally torn down to accomplish this, I plan on upgrading my tank at that time. Bigger and better as they say. This time I'd like to go with a sump worked into the system.
My problem stems from having ZERO plumbing experience or acuity.
Plus with new carpeting I MUST eliminate the chance of flooding. "She who must be obeyed" would freak if there was a flood on brand new carpet.
Is there such a thing as "flood free" or would this be a pipedream?
Can anyone point we to the perfect plumbing plan? I need all the durso mods, check valves, sump sizes, fail-safe options available to 21st century reefkeeping.
Thanks,
kev-dog
Old 02/25/2004, 06:29 AM
Moved On

There is only one foolproof method I have seen used. You can go to a HVAC company and have a drain pan made for your stand. It is like a huge cookie sheet with 3" edges and a drain in it. Put your stand inside and hook up the drain. Any leakage will be caught.
Old 02/25/2004, 06:50 AM
Catch and release

cwa,
If I'm not mistaken those are made of galvanized metal. Would'nt that leach some contaminates into the sump in case of failure? Or do you run the drain somewhere else?
Chris
Old 02/25/2004, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

If you like cwa's idea in principle, you could always fabricate a drain pan relatively easily using products available at the chain hardware stores. Sheets of Lexan glued with acrylic glue or whatever that bonding agent is called that "welds" acrylic and plastic... I've never used it, but I know it exists because I've sent countless customers after it for various reptile and fish related projects...
Old 02/25/2004, 08:21 AM
Moved On

The drain from the pan has to be outside or to the sewer. One that I have seen, the guy just drilled a 1/2" hole in the floor and let the drain go into his crawl space. The drain may never be used so a little water in the crawl space is a lot different than damaged flooring or carpet. There are pvc pans with drains for water heaters and some furnaces. They also come with drains, but aren't big enough for most tanks.
Finally, if you use a pan, be careful it is well supported and can take alot of pressure, because your stand is heavy and your carpet and pad will flex. I would put 3/4" ply between the carpet and pan to avoid any flex problems.
Old 02/25/2004, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

You could actually just build a pan inside your stand & put your sump, fuge, etc. inside that. That would catch any spill short of the main tank overflowing & would be hidden.

Chris
Old 02/25/2004, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your input. Keep it coming.
Personally I don't like the idea, asthetically, of a "pan" underneath the stand, but something designed to conform to the INSIDE of the stand sounds doable with a drain to the crawl space.

What I was hoping for was information/diagram on size of sump, amount of water in sump, siphon breaking mods in the return...as well as noise reduction mods like durso mods etc. to create the "perfect plumbing" system. Hoping to learn from others' mistakes. I'm just worried that in a power failure, I might have a flood.
FYI:
I'm not gonna have a monster tank but probably either a 75g or 90g. If this helps in suggesting sump size and water volume.

From another angle...Can you tell me the common causes of floods? - i.e. power failure, pump failure, etc. Maybe this can help me plan back-up systems as insurance.
kev-dog
Old 02/25/2004, 01:22 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by kev-dog1
Thanks everyone for your input. Keep it coming.
Personally I don't like the idea, asthetically, of a "pan" underneath the stand, but something designed to conform to the INSIDE of the stand sounds doable with a drain to the crawl space.

What I was hoping for was information/diagram on size of sump, amount of water in sump, siphon breaking mods in the return...as well as noise reduction mods like durso mods etc. to create the "perfect plumbing" system. Hoping to learn from others' mistakes. I'm just worried that in a power failure, I might have a flood.
FYI:
I'm not gonna have a monster tank but probably either a 75g or 90g. If this helps in suggesting sump size and water volume.

From another angle...Can you tell me the common causes of floods? - i.e. power failure, pump failure, etc. Maybe this can help me plan back-up systems as insurance.
kev-dog
I agree with asthetic problem wiht a pan. That is why I have never had one. On the other hand, I have had several leaks and one was the main tank. So the inside pan may not be very foolproof.

I will never put another system over carpet.

The most common problem is after a power outage. Does your system have enough room in the sump so the system can drain down without overflowing the sump.

I have also had snails plug a standipe. The other overflow could'nt keep up and the tank overflowed.

The plumbing design is important, but maintenance is the real key. Buildup can plug siphon holes, drains, overflows and even pumps.

Your plumbing design depends on what you want to keep in the tank. Fish only, coral, reef or mixed. For SPS some recommend moving your water 10X-20X tank volumes per hour. Or 750-1500 gal per hour on a 75 gal. tank. You can acheive this with a big sump pump and large overflows. Or you can reduce the sump turnover to 4X to 6X per hour and add powerheads or a closed loop system to keep the total turnover at the targeted level.

What is your turnover going to be?
Old 02/25/2004, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I had heard to aim for 10x turnover. I've read a little about SQWDs and will consider this as an alternative for extra circulation.

The main reason I want to go with a sump is to get rid of things like powerheads, heaters, hob skimmers - moving as much of this equipment to the sump.

My reef tank now is mostly leathers, polyps, and shrooms and more than likely will stay that way. I think I will change my lighting system from vho to pc when I make this change which should allow me to add a little more variety.

I'm pretty good with maintenance so if I know where my trouble spots are I can pay attention to keeping those clean, but snails? what do you do about that?
Old 02/25/2004, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Have 2 overflows large enough that each will keep up with the return pump. Or within the overflow have 2 standpipes one taller than the other so if the first gets blocked the water only rises high enough to use the second. In short try to have a backup for everything. A main cause of sump overflow is return lines siphoning back. So you either need to plumb your return outlets high & make sure you have enough sump capacity to hold the drain back or drill anti siphon holes in the return lines above the water level. But as CWA said you have to keep them clean or they will fail.

Chris
Old 02/25/2004, 08:05 PM
Catch and release

You probably allready know this but there is a sump and overflow volume calculator on RC. I think on the home page on the left side.
Chris
Old 02/26/2004, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

I really did hesitate before posting this, but you are asking for opinions... LOL

Being the retarded "old schooler" I am... We're using cannister filters and water changes with great results at our store. Ain't scared of power outages. Short of a cannister actually cracking (which might happen after years and years, by which time you'd want to replace your carpet, anyway), we should never have an overflow. Ever. This doesn't mention Plenum systems, etc., etc...

For a lot of people the current, technology-driven "way" is the fun way, but I can defy that it is the "only" way... That, and some of the other "ways" reduce your risk of overflow...

~Roberto
Old 03/01/2004, 10:46 AM
Mine is 48", and yours?

I would maintain that the sump is the low tech method. In most reef tanks the sump is not for filtration (dont think wet dry, that is the critter talking). It is a way to add extra water volume, setup an area as a refugium, create a large amount of water movement, and to hide equipment such as heaters and possibly skimmers. For many the perfect reef tank shows nothing but an overflow and a water output (my tank does not meet this criteria, I have two powerheads in addition to my 1000gph pump that is in the sump.)

Think about just the water movement, how else can you create a 10 to 15 x movement in your tank. It would take 4-5 powerheads withouth a sump on a 75 gallon. On a larger tank even more. Then you have all the other junk that you really want to hide.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 03/01/2004, 11:04 AM
Space Cowboy

check-valves are useless - drill a small hole just above the water level on your return pipe to prevent siphoning in the event of a power-outage (especially if you plan on installing spray-bars behind your rock-work)

use egg-crate to pre-screen water going into your overflow and if that is not good enough use sponges around the intakes on your overflow tubes so that nothing can get inside of the tubes (will slow down water flow though, and you will neeed to clean the sponges frequently).

If you really want to it should be possible to find a water-alarm that could shut-off your return pump in the event of something clogging the overflow.

Some large floods were caused by automatic top-off systems getting stuck on, or skimmers combined with kalk-water dosing (the high pH from the kalk causes the skimmer to over-foam, thus dumping skimmate on the floor, and the auto top-off keeps filling in more water, the cycle continues until the auto top-off runs out of water).

These are some precautions that have worked for me and are worth thinking about but I'm sure there are some more.
Old 03/01/2004, 01:49 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by wooglin
I would maintain that the sump is the low tech method. In most reef tanks the sump is not for filtration (dont think wet dry, that is the critter talking). It is a way to add extra water volume, setup an area as a refugium, create a large amount of water movement, and to hide equipment such as heaters and possibly skimmers. For many the perfect reef tank shows nothing but an overflow and a water output (my tank does not meet this criteria, I have two powerheads in addition to my 1000gph pump that is in the sump.)

Think about just the water movement, how else can you create a 10 to 15 x movement in your tank. It would take 4-5 powerheads withouth a sump on a 75 gallon. On a larger tank even more. Then you have all the other junk that you really want to hide.
Closed loop systems don't require a sump and won't cause leaks either. You can get all the flow you want without powerheads.
Old 03/01/2004, 04:14 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

That is a good point but closed loop does not give you anywhere to hide your skimmer, heater, and whatever other equipment you have.

Closed loop does create a system that is less prone to leakage maybe, I am not sure. There is plumbing involved that can fail.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 03/01/2004, 04:44 PM
Moved On

Quote:
That is a good point but closed loop does not give you anywhere to hide your skimmer, heater, and whatever other equipment you have.

Closed loop does create a system that is less prone to leakage maybe, I am not sure. There is plumbing involved that can fail.
Everything can fail. But with proper care, a closed loop system is no more prone to leaking they your home plumbing system. They, like a cannister filter, have no overflow or siphon problems.
I am not advocating any particlar setup. Just putting out options, so don't feel so threatened.
Old 03/01/2004, 04:52 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

I dont feel threatened, but I am still not sure that a closed loop system is less prone to leaks than a properly plumbed Reef Ready aquarium. A built in overflow on a reefready tank does not flood during power outages, nor does the sump if it is sized and plumbed properly. Pipes could fail, but this could happen with any system that has pipes that move water in your tank.

I do like the idea of closed loop systems on larger tanks. Why fool with a sump when you have plenty of water volume, and plenty of room to hide equipment. The only item you end up having trouble with is a larger skimmer. I dont think you can get a HOB skimmer for a larger tank, not sure.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 03/01/2004, 06:21 PM
Moved On

Quote:
I dont feel threatened, but I am still not sure that a closed loop system is less prone to leaks than a properly plumbed Reef Ready aquarium. A built in overflow on a reefready tank does not flood during power outages, nor does the sump if it is sized and plumbed properly. Pipes could fail, but this could happen with any system that has pipes that move water in your tank.

I do like the idea of closed loop systems on larger tanks. Why fool with a sump when you have plenty of water volume, and plenty of room to hide equipment. The only item you end up having trouble with is a larger skimmer. I dont think you can get a HOB skimmer for a larger tank, not sure.
There is no doubt, wooglin is the expert! Sorry, didn't mean to block your light!
Old 03/01/2004, 07:22 PM
Space Cowboy

closed loops are great if you're considering a system with high-flow, running a lot of flow through a sump is hard to do without creating lots of micro bubbles (as I'm finding out myself). It is also more efficient as the pump on the closed loop doesn't have as much head pressure so you're getting more flow out of your equipment.
Old 03/01/2004, 11:19 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

MadTownMax do you run a mixed setup with a closed loop for flow and a sump to hide your equipment? If not where did you put your skimmer etc.? Or do you run skimmerless?

CWA, I would like for you to point out where I responded in a way that would indicate that I think I am an expert? In fact I would contend that you are the one who posts as if your an expert, not just in this thread, it seems to be a pattern on all your recent posts. Lets just keep it civil. I never even argued with you, in fact I pointed out that I liked your idea of a closed loop. I simply pointed out that it left no where to house a skimmer or any other equipment.

Wooglins previous response

"That is a good point but closed loop does not give you anywhere to hide your skimmer, heater, and whatever other equipment you have. Closed loop does create a system that is less prone to leakage maybe, I am not sure? There is plumbing involved that can fail."

Another response by Wooglin

"I dont feel threatened, but I am still not sure that a closed loop system is less prone to leaks than a properly plumbed Reef Ready aquarium. A built in overflow on a reefready tank does not flood during power outages, nor does the sump if it is sized and plumbed properly. Pipes could fail, but this could happen with any system that has pipes that move water in your tank. I do like the idea of closed loop systems on larger tanks. Why fool with a sump when you have plenty of water volume, and plenty of room to hide equipment. The only item you end up having trouble with is a larger skimmer. I dont think you can get a HOB skimmer for a larger tank, not sure."
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 03/01/2004, 11:28 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

Oh, by the way CWA, I really hope you can make the next TN Reefers meeting. We are all honestly dying to meet you in person. I have a feeling that your not so abrasive in person. Be sure to come if you can, I think we are going to be fragging an awsome coral.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 03/02/2004, 12:19 AM
Space Cowboy

no closed loop here, just a ampmaster 3000 return, trying to get rid of my micro bubbles, but no luck yet.
Old 03/02/2004, 02:14 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Oh, by the way CWA, I really hope you can make the next TN Reefers meeting. We are all honestly dying to meet you in person. I have a feeling that your not so abrasive in person. Be sure to come if you can, I think we are going to be fragging an awsome coral.
I am worse in person as I can't abide fools! You especially won't like me. As you already know, I am putting my home up for sale this fall and moving out of state. All that will remain of my system will be a couple of 20 gal. broodstock tanks, and a sump by next week. I have already shut down my growout tanks, 135 gal and now I am shutting down a 90 gal. So I see no benefit now. A club would have been real helpful 4-6 years ago.
Old 03/02/2004, 02:16 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Just keep on wooglin on!