Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/26/2004, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

sorry

don't mean to dreg up this thread but I have a dilema! I'm building a 500g glass and so if I go the 1'' foam method when I'm putting the glass pieces together they will of course have to sit on the foam first as I have to pretape all the pieces together. Will this cause a problem when siliconing due to uneven crushing of the foam or side panels sinking into the foam more than the bottom piece? How do I overcome this?
Old 02/26/2004, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

hi john rochon,

I have never seen a gold rim tang with a powder blue body.

Is that fish for real?
Old 02/26/2004, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Just $.02
I have my Lee Marr 240 and 600 both on HD exterior isulation foam (the white stuff) after trying to level the the stands on a rough tile floor I felt is my only option. The 600 has a center over flow that raised 1/8" with out water when placed on the pad but is now even when filled. But I not sure of my orginal refrence points just of the filled and empty points. I will use it again on a 200 cube soon.
Old 02/26/2004, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Re: sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by john rochon
don't mean to dreg up this thread but I have a dilema! I'm building a 500g glass and so if I go the 1'' foam method when I'm putting the glass pieces together they will of course have to sit on the foam first as I have to pretape all the pieces together. Will this cause a problem when siliconing due to uneven crushing of the foam or side panels sinking into the foam more than the bottom piece? How do I overcome this?
Is your tank designed such that the bottom glass needs to be uniformly supported, or is it designed such that the bottom glass only needs to be supported on the edges?

And, what do you you forsee that would cause there to be significantly more vertical load on the edge of the tank than on the bottom?

If you have a lot of vertical load on the edge of the tank, and the bottom is designed to be edge-supported (rather than uniformly supported), do not put foam under the bottom.
Old 02/27/2004, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

the bottom will be uniformly supported but I was just wondering about small deficiancys. The fish in my avatar is actually a POWDER BROWN but the pic was way off[cheap cam].
Old 02/27/2004, 07:03 PM
Moved On

Put styrofoam in your shoes, under your bed, under your floor, under your boat, under your garage, under you home. It will level and fix everything and anything. If you want to put weight on it, cover it with styrofoam!

Why?
Old 02/27/2004, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

cwa46: I've read this whole thread and it seems that you have an unnatural dislike of foam. were you abused by foam as a child? FYI I have foam under my feet, in my bed, under my carpet. foam helps to relieve any stress points. lie down on a tile floor and then lie down on a sheet of foam. which tends to concentrate the force in a single point more? I'm not saying that I know the BEST answer, but I'm also not berating people for expressing their opinion in a civil manner. BTW, I'm NOT going to be using foam on my tank. My situation doesn't warrant the use IMO. That doesn't mean I think NOONE should use it.
Old 02/28/2004, 06:24 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by DougSupreme
cwa46: I've read this whole thread and it seems that you have an unnatural dislike of foam. were you abused by foam as a child? FYI I have foam under my feet, in my bed, under my carpet. foam helps to relieve any stress points. lie down on a tile floor and then lie down on a sheet of foam. which tends to concentrate the force in a single point more? I'm not saying that I know the BEST answer, but I'm also not berating people for expressing their opinion in a civil manner. BTW, I'm NOT going to be using foam on my tank. My situation doesn't warrant the use IMO. That doesn't mean I think NOONE should use it.
I wonder why municipal water tanks are not mounted on foam? There is no engineering reason for adding foam!
Old 02/28/2004, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

All my tanks,8 total -600 gallons, sit on styrofoam for last 3-4 years without problems.
Old 02/28/2004, 11:55 AM
Reefaholic

If your tank is uneven or has any imperfections, I still think the best solution is the self-leveling epoxy rather than styrofoam.

Old 02/28/2004, 12:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bluereefs
All my tanks,8 total -600 gallons, sit on styrofoam for last 3-4 years without problems.
How does that make it benificial?
Old 03/01/2004, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdgtivr6
If your tank is uneven or has any imperfections, I still think the best solution is the self-leveling epoxy rather than styrofoam.

Please explain. Do you mean that before you set your tank up, you turn it over and pour self-levelling epoxy on the bottom to level-up the bottom of your tank?
Old 03/01/2004, 01:58 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dnjan
Please explain. Do you mean that before you set your tank up, you turn it over and pour self-levelling epoxy on the bottom to level-up the bottom of your tank?
I can't quite believe you need to ask? What good would it do on the floor. Also, if the floor is uneven, put styrofoam on it. If it works between the tank and stand, think how much better it will be if you can squeeze in another layer between the stand and the floor. You will be double protected!
Old 03/01/2004, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

. You will be double protected!
That is what I have ,....for 3-4 years
Old 03/01/2004, 02:32 PM
Bandwidth-Waster

No foam here, I just basically skim/broadcast a layer of fine gravel over the stand before placing the tank. -hehe
Actually, I do have a question. If the foam's "crush rate?" is less than the weight of the tank (most all readily available foam) then any imperfections (debris, small high/low spots, twisting of wood, ect.) wouldn't the said "spot" now also be higher by placing foam on the imperfection? Seems like a never ending circle. AND if water is leeching into the stand (wood warping) I think the foam may be the least of your worries.
I like the bar-top finish (epoxy, self-level) as it would be a rigid surface and would cover the/any imperfection or high/low spot and would not *re-compact* with the tank weight. It seems to me the foam would contour to the exact same form as the original imperfect stand top -just a little higher now! -hehe
As far as foam in your shoes, bed and carpet it's not to level or even it out. It's for impact, in all my residential contracting days I've never seen an under-lament/padding level a floor (LOL!)
With that said anyone who wants to *throw* or *drop* there tank onto its' stand from a decent distance, well you should consider foam, good impact resistance!
Funny thread!
>L
Old 03/01/2004, 02:47 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

Why so hostile?
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 03/01/2004, 04:37 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by wooglin
Why so hostile?
Who is hostile? I have seen many many many reefing rules, that were not based on anything but opinion. This is just another one and I intend to challenge it until somebody justifies its use. The use of a crushable foam to support flat loads in order to avoid points from poor construction doesn't make any sense. First, why the construction defects in the first place? Second, why try to fix or adjust for them with a product that will simply crush and leave you with the same pattern of stress loading that you started with. If it is dense enough to not crush, you might as well use plywood.

Now if 80-90% of those not using foam had problems then I would think there may be something to it. At the very best, it will do no harm. Its kind of like changing the air in your tires, you can do it and say it works great, but everyone else gets the same result without doing it. Great idea!
Old 03/01/2004, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cwa46
I can't quite believe you need to ask? What good would it do on the floor. Also, if the floor is uneven, put styrofoam on it. If it works between the tank and stand, think how much better it will be if you can squeeze in another layer between the stand and the floor. You will be double protected!
I've heard of tanks not being perfectly flat on the bottom, but have never heard of anyone flattening (levelling) the bottom of their tank with low-viscosity epoxy. I would like to hear details on the procedure. Do you make a dam with masking tape or something similar around the perimeter of the tank?
Old 03/01/2004, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Self leveling cement... Works great!!
Old 03/01/2004, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

another picture!
Old 03/01/2004, 11:25 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

CWA I think maybe the way you word your posts tends to lead people to think you are being harsh. I am not sure what it is, but I am not the only one who feels this way. Your point about styrofoam is a good one, but its lost by your tone. These forums are terrible in that way, as there really is no way to impart the subtle tones of conversation. One cant tell if someone is just passionate about a point, or being offensive. In this case your posts come across as offensive. Not just on this thread, but on most of your recent threads.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 03/02/2004, 01:17 AM
Reefaholic

thanks for posting the pics bstone

sorry for the misconception... I meant pouring the self-leveling epoxy on your tank stand (not the tank itself).
Old 03/02/2004, 02:09 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by wooglin
CWA I think maybe the way you word your posts tends to lead people to think you are being harsh. I am not sure what it is, but I am not the only one who feels this way. Your point about styrofoam is a good one, but its lost by your tone. These forums are terrible in that way, as there really is no way to impart the subtle tones of conversation. One cant tell if someone is just passionate about a point, or being offensive. In this case your posts come across as offensive. Not just on this thread, but on most of your recent threads.
Oh you have hurt me deeply!
Old 03/02/2004, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

sdgtivr6, I guess I don't understand. This self leveling cement is on my tank stand. Then my tank sits on top of the cement. Or am I just really confused and don't understand what you are trying to say??

LOL
Old 03/02/2004, 07:26 AM
Mine is 48", and yours?

CWA, I was not trying to hurt you deeply, or even at all. Just making a point about the inflection of tone that comes from your posts. Anyway you make some good points about styrofoam. I dont use it myself, dont see how it could possibly help.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel