Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/16/2004, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

If I order TBS rock for my 30 gallon, I will have to pay airline or shipping charges twice for the package since it must arrive in 2 diff boxes? Or can I just order 40-50 pounds live rockand get it all at once?
30 lbs Lalo live rock
20lbs Arag-Alive
Maxijet 606/Microjet
AC500 refugium
Red open brain, Pulsing Xenia, zoos, sun coral
Coral Beauty and Scooter Blenny
Old 02/16/2004, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys can somone post a link to this TBS place. Thanks.
Old 02/16/2004, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

tampabaysaltwater.com
Old 02/16/2004, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DLeAnnM
If I order TBS rock for my 30 gallon, I will have to pay airline or shipping charges twice for the package since it must arrive in 2 diff boxes? Or can I just order 40-50 pounds live rockand get it all at once?
Actually it will arrive in several boxes. I ordered the 29 gal package and the first half was over 100 lbs (which is the minimum charge for airline shipping). I suspect the second shipment will be close to the same weight, so I don't think you need to worry about having to pay extra because there are two seperate shipments.
Old 02/16/2004, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, my shipping really wasn't too bad. My first shipment was right about 500 pounds total to Seattle and it was only a couple hundred. Just make sure that you do airport pickup to get the rocks. It saves you several $ per pound over fed ex.

The live stuff on the rocks was just that, the stuff on the rocks. They don't charge you extra. The cool thing is that all of these rocks are their "first shipment" rocks which supposedly have less life on them. I say supposedly because I can’t imagine getting better rocks in my next shipment…

Oh... Another weird thing. My bottle trap for the mantis failed again, but my big (12-15" wingspan) medusa worm had six tentacles into it last night trying to get out the piece of shrimp. I half expected to find the whole worm in there this morning.
Old 02/16/2004, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Also if you don't want to type that much:

tbsaltwater.com works too.
Old 02/16/2004, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

SFS: If you already have base rock I would recommend doing one of the following:

1. purchasing a "package" for a tank smaller than what you have. This gives you a bunch of their live sand which can't be beat. I already have 10s of thousands of pods, worms, larva, etc. It also gives you almost 40% off of their per item prices which makes the package critters basically free compaired to just buying rocks from them.

2. purchasing at least some of the live sand to populate the bacteria and pods throughout your tank and then buying their decorator or corals on rock to put on top of your existing stuff.

Hdtran: Good to know about the "red emeralds". Do you know what they are officially called? What are they known for messing with later on? I have at least a dozen of these guys (no joke) and so far even the biggest seem to be content to slip in and out of the crevices eating algae and detrious.

Also can you post what the colors were on the package critter shrimp that they sent you? I am trying to identify the bright red, single yellow stripe down the back, bright blue legged shrimp that I received.
Old 02/16/2004, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Casey in WA (as opposed to Casey in OK),

The red emerald is just that. A red version of Mithrax crabs (I'm going to guess Mithrax forceps for the red emerald and Mithrax sculptus for the green emerald). I had a photo of the red emerald here several months ago, and lots of people ID'ed for me as red emerald crab. I guess they come in more than 1 color. Crabs are a philosophical issue. I consider all crabs (including hermits, but excluding porcelain crabs, or what you ID'ed as anemone crab) as potential hazards.

Bright red, single yellow stripe sounds like a different Lysmata cleaner shrimp. If it doesn't have a conspicuous claw (like a crayfish or lobster), it's a cleaner shrimp. The peppermint shrimps are translucent pink with red piping (Lysmata wurdemani, if I remember rightly). With a claw, it's a pistol shrimp. Pistols will burrow someplace almost immediately; cleaners hang out in a cave in the rocks. (Peppermints are cleaners too). If you can get your shrimp to pose for a picture, I can attempt an ID.

Required reading: John Tullock's books; Bob Fenner's books.

Last edited by hdtran; 02/16/2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02/16/2004, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

How about another full picture of your tank, Splach?

I'm still deciding (and saving!) on what tank size I want, but I'm definately going with TBS.

But, I'm figuring on 55, right now. Which means smaller rocks, and less possible hitchikers. Sounds like you've done very well so far.

When are you getting your next shipment?
Old 02/16/2004, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

i got my first shipment of a thirty gallon package last friday, it was a total of 102 lbs shipped, delta charged 61$ from tampa to atlanta, I picked it up at the aircargo office right off aviation blvd off of I-75, for any of you atlantans. YMMV. it was two seperate boxes, the first box with nothing but LS in it, the second had the LR, 1 huge rock and two smaller rocks.
Question, what does the noise the mantis shrimp makes sound like, like a wooden floor creaking?
sorta like "CRACK"???
Old 02/16/2004, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hdtran
Sfsuphysics,

... they're all as happy as clams ).

Groan

On another note: For those of you who have recieved shipments via air-freight, did you pay shipping to TBS or to the airline at pick-up time?
Old 02/16/2004, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

I paid the airfreight charges directly to delta at the airport at time of pickup
Old 02/16/2004, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjp_30188
I paid the airfreight charges directly to delta at the airport at time of pickup
Thanks. Still planning out finances and what I need when and where.
Old 02/17/2004, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Lets see:

Mantis: they sound like a metal nail tapping on glass (or underwater pop-its). Mine does single, double, triple taps and more).

Next shipment: I have to wait for some guy in Alaska to get his rock, but after him, I'm golden for delivery. Tank parameters are all good.

Yep. Paid the airline on pickup.
Old 02/17/2004, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

Day 13: Tank parameters Lookin good...

Ammonia: .04 ppm
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 2 ppm

It's about time to start up the K2R reactor and start deciding on what fish to put in here eventually....
Old 02/17/2004, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey HD, you up for a few more IDs?

My wife found this thing crawling up the glass. About 1/4 - 1/2" long. No shell. Some kind of slug?

Here is a section of my rock that has a few things I would like IDs on. Blow ups will follow the big shot.

What kind of algae is this? Note the old clam shell. My mantis loves hiding in this and poking out.

And are these turnicates (spelling?) I have them in red, blue, yellow, orange, etc):

Old 02/17/2004, 02:21 AM
Duct Tape for the win!

I think turnicates are what you tie on your arm or leg if it is bleeding out of control Tunicate might be the word your looking for, although im not sure.
Old 02/17/2004, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm..... red hair algae that's gone punk??

(can't believe all the life.... just boggles the mind. )
Old 02/17/2004, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Great Thread Splach!

Just want everyone to know a little about TBS.
They are awesome. I have a 16g that I did with "the Package" over ayear ago, and it is beautiful. The water changes are absolutely necessary if you want this stuff to thrive. This is not "live rock" like from LFS, this is imported live reef your getting. It is better than any other rock I have bought in almost 10 years of reefing.
As for your Mantis, the only way you'll catch him short of removing his rock from the tank is to start feeding him. I got mine used to eating squid from a forceps. Then I introduced a trap (made from reef epoxy tube) to the area where I feed him. Slowly get him used to eating from the trap by placing the squid at the open end. Eventually, you'll be able to get him to crawl inside, then just pull out the tube and you've got him. They are smart and personable, and will take well to hand feeding. I put mine (almost 5" now, from 1/2" on arrival) into a small (5g) nano plumbed into my reef. They are really fun and beautiful.
But you must get him out! He will eat almost any crustacean, bivalve, barnacle or small fish. And as he gets bigger, his popping" will keep you up at night. And for those of you with glass tanks, a 4" mantis can crack 1/4" aquariums if aggravated/excited enough.
As for your mithrax crabs (emerald andd red) they are different species. The red ones eat red algae (especially bubble) and trhe green ones eat green. They are not terribly destructive, as long as your structure is sturdy.
BEst of luck, and keep us posted!
Domino Damsel, Devils Hand Leather, 2x Sarcophyton, 3x Toadstool, 2x Pincushion, 3x Cabbage, Xenia, 3x Monti (plating), Monti Cap, Asst. Ric, Asst Mushrroms, Green Candycane, Purple Candycane, 5x Asst Acro, Green Hydnophora, Carnation Porites, Birdsnest, Green Pocillopora, Colt, 3x Colonies Asst. Zoos, Giant Green Polyzoos, Red Leg Hermits, Blue Hermits, Red Linkia, Green Serpent, Assorted Snails, Strawberry Conch, Deep Sand Bed
Old 02/17/2004, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Heh. Well I don't have any rocks less than 40 lbs. If a crab gets to the point of being able to move one of those, he can just have the tank, I'm not going in for him. :P

As to the mantis, he is living in a honeycombed rock about 60 pounds and there is no way I am getting it back out of the tank. I was watching him duck in and out last night and he came out in 6 different places in about 15 seconds. I like your squid idea though and I will give it a try.
Old 02/17/2004, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

soooooo,,,,if I have a mantis, I should eventually see him? Are these things active, crawling all over the aquarium? I hear the occassional cracking, but my house has a wood floor and it cracks somewhat too, and then theres that cereal I eat for breakfast.........:')
Old 02/17/2004, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Yes. It took me awhile to see mine and the clicks seem to come from other places. The way that I spot him now is looking for elongated shadows under rocks, clams, etc. Also watch for quick darting movements in the tank. Try to see where they went and you may find him. Finally if all else fails try looking through the tank from different angles when he is clicking. I have the benefit of a 2 sided tank so it makes it hard for him to come out with out me finding him now that I know what to look for.
Old 02/17/2004, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Whooo. Okay apparently I made it to the top of the list (or maybe my tank could hold rocks that wouldn't fit in anyone elses) in any case my rock is on a plane!!! Stay tuned for pictures tonight (late late late) or tomorrow morning...
Old 02/17/2004, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Great News!! Looking forward to seeing the new goodies.

(You know, there is something out-of-kilter about my getting excited about someone elses rocks )
Old 02/17/2004, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Casey,

Another very late night staring at the rocks for you!

I'm going to guess that the red sluggy looking thing is a type of stomatella snail, but that's a complete WAG.

I'm passing on the algae, but if you get a tang, it will pig out on that algae. Your red emeralds will also nibble on that (and on green macroalgae too).

The tunicate looks like a tunicate, though I suppose it could be a sponge

Sorry, docklink, no puns today.

Required reading: John Tullock's books; Bob Fenner's books.