Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2003, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

A few HQI questions.

Ok, after much reading it seems that 250w HQI is the way to go. I WAS planning on running 3 - 400w (2 - Iwasaki's and 1 - Radium). I've decided to go with the HQI's for my tank.

I do have a few questions before I make the switch official.

First, are there ANY HQI retrofits? I seem to be only able to find them in pendant form? I dont want to mount pendants under my canopy, I want to be able to just mount some spider reflectors.

Second, wich would be the best brand of bulbs? I read that XM's are pretty good, but I would rather hear personal opinions rather than just "reviews".

A few side notes (I dunno, they may be usefull), I plan on running 3 - 10K HQI's, and just using my existing VHO's to supplement (instead of using a 20K MH). Also, I do plan on switching my tank dementions from 60x24x20 (125gal), to 60x24x24 (150gal) before I have it built, I've decided the 20" height is just too low. Lastly, I plan on just keeping SPS and clams, wich is why I'm shooting for such a high amount of light.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark
Old 12/16/2003, 03:08 AM
Team RC Member

HQI could mean either single ended or doubled ended bulbs? Which one are you looking at?
Old 12/16/2003, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

Oh, sorry...I meant the double ended bulbs.
Old 12/16/2003, 03:25 AM
Team RC Member

If it's double-ended bulbs you are going to use, most likely you will require pendant with a glass shield. The HQI DEs usually come with the glass shield (most likely temper) to block out a lot of the UV which can burn/kill your corals. Unless you can rig up a setup which has a glass shield to protect you and the reef inhabitants, I don't think there is another alternative.

Running 10Ks with the VHO's is a great combination.
Old 12/16/2003, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

Thank you very much.

One last question, if you don't mind. Is there a big difference between the DE and SE bulbs? I really would like to not have to use the pendants under my canopy, but if the DE are the best, than I'll just have to make it work.
Old 12/16/2003, 03:45 AM
Team RC Member

Well according to some recent lighting tests by Sanjay, it appears that the 250W HQI DE with the right reflectors such as the ones used by PFO and Sunlightsupply can be just as bright as a 400 W SE bulbs. That's why you see a few people downgrading their 400 W SE to 250 W DE setups.
Plus you do save a little bit on your electricity bill.
Old 12/16/2003, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

Thank you very much again.

I think I have all the info I need.

I don't think I've ever gotten such quick responses, I thank you for that.

Mark