Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2003, 01:31 AM
Registered Member

In depth Goby husbandry.

I would like to become an expert at the fish I wish to keep, Gobies (and related fish, Blennies, Dragonets). I realize alot of information will come from experience (wich I have not had as of yet), but I would like to learn as much as I can from reading. I have done alot of reasearch, seaching the web, searching RC.com and reading any available book at my local library(sp). Unfortunatly, most of the information I find is VERY basic. I want to learn everything I can, from breeding, raising fry, their inviornments in the wild, ect ect. Not just feeding, common behavior and other general information.

I did find an interesting link on here to and artical with in depth breeding information about Clown Gobies, wich was a great help to me.

I was wondering if, anybody on here has any helpfull sites/link they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.
Old 12/13/2003, 09:17 AM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

reefkeeping.com has some articles about small fish like some kinds of gobies, dottybacks, wrasse, etc

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 12/13/2003, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Try this site. Its pretty good.

http://gobiidae.com/mission.htm
Old 12/13/2003, 05:16 PM
Moved On

very rarely will websites help, IMO. the best information i can find is only available from the reseachers themselves. i track down the e-mail of the authors (usually via the university they work at) and e-mail them asking for reprints of specific papers.

for instance, if i wanted to know about rabbitfish, i would first need to find the most current revision of the family or genus (or species if you want to get that limited). in this instance it is:

Woodland, D. J. 1990. Revision of the Fish Family Siganidae with Descriptions of Two New Species and Comments on Distribution and Biology. Bishop Museum, Honolulu. pp. 136.

first, do a google seach for this paper. sometimes you can get lucky and it will be available as an adobe acrobat file. but don't count on it. so next, google the author or publisher. you'll usually find the e-mail to either if you look hard enough. once you have the e-mail, ask them if reprints for X publication are available and how you can get it. some will mail you a copy for free, others will require payment, and some are unavailable.

once you have the revision, this paper will list all references to said family (genus, species, etc) in the reference section. sometimes there are only 10 or 20 references, othertimes there are 100's. for any you wish to read more indepth, repeat aforementioned process

HTH
Old 12/15/2003, 03:44 PM
10 & Over Club

Mark:
sounds like your on the right track. However you mention gobies, this is a huge family, w/ tremendous variations in species.
Can you narrow it down a lot. even scientist doing goby research focus on one species and learn generalities about the other family members

I ask becuz there are a couple nice articles on 7 spine and neon goby breeding available, and these even include references. So its a great start
frank
Old 12/15/2003, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Thank for the responses.

I've already read through www.gobiidae.com and all it's links many times over.

www.reefkeeping.com has had a few VERY helpful articals wich I have also read many many times.

I know gobies are a large family, I don't plan on becoming an expert at the less common species, but rather only the species that are most commonly found in the aquarium. And maybe not quite an expert at the more rare species available, but well informed, and hopefully have general knowledge of all the seperate groups of gobies (not necissarily each and every seperate species). The same goes for Blennies and Dragonets.
Old 12/15/2003, 08:21 PM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

Sheesh Frank, I'm surprised you didn't mention this.

Don't know if I mentioned on that thread or not but the scientific name is Cryptocentrus cinctus and is in the Gobiidae family. You can also do a search on the breeder forum for a few threads that chronicals our efforts.
Old 12/15/2003, 10:25 PM
10 & Over Club

Alan:
I didn't want to confuse the issues, since i was unclear which way Mark was going to go.....
but yes, please do read that thread on breeding watchman gobies.

As foradditional resources, these articles come to mind
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...3/breeder2.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...3/breeder2.htm
Old 12/15/2003, 10:59 PM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

I just took it as a request for any and all in-depth info available on gobies, blennies and dragonets. One can never have enough info.

Mark_OR - There is also a thread or two on the breeder forum about us raising green wolf eel blennies, but don't let the common name fool you, it's actually a dottyback