Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2003, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Can't get goby to eat!

I bought a sleeper banded goby a few days ago, and I can not get him (or her) to eat. I know I do not have enough for him to eat in the sand. Any suggestions on how to get him to eat? (BTW: Yes, he is my first fish.)
Old 12/12/2003, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

what are you trying to feed him and how?
Old 12/12/2003, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Smile

Maybe try a different type of food. Not sure what you are trying to feed him. I don't have a sleeper goby, but my goby likes frozen mysis, frozen plankton mix.....

Does he act interested at all? Does he try it and then spit it out?

More details please...
Old 12/12/2003, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

if you can try live brine shrimp. I have a sleeper goby..wish I didn't the messy little buggers.....and he loves it when I get live shrimp for the fish to eat.

Other then that he will not touch flake, pellet, frozen food that I have tried with the fish I have.
Old 12/13/2003, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

I have been trying to feed him frozen brine shrimp. He just never comes out of his hole whien im around, and I'm not sure he gets any of the food because I now have 2 very greedy maroon gold banded clowns.
Old 12/13/2003, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

yeah I had same problem with mine he woudl not touch frozen foods only thing I have been able to get him to eat to date is live brine shrimp other then taht he is sifting sand and making a mess in the tank lol
Old 12/13/2003, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Try laying some brine shrimp just under the surface of the sand (around where he most commonly feeds). I know this isn't exactly the cleanist way to go about it, so if he doesn't eat what you put in, try to take out the un-eaten food. Eventually, he should get use to the smell/taste of the food and start taking after it in open water. Although you may have to make sure at least some of the food reaches the bottom for him to eat (ie, make sure the gold stripes dont eat ALL of the food).

HTH

Mark
Old 12/13/2003, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Thank you, I will try that...hope it works! :P