Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/06/2001, 06:40 PM
Guakamolian Nemesis

For all of you looking for light comparison (specially Iwasaki)!

Here is a page of pictures of different light settings that I have had over the last few years.

The last change was done yesterday when I finally just added a couple of VHOs to the setup.

The pictures include the following lighting:

Iwasakis (65K) - Blueline Ballast
Blueline Bulbs (12K) - Blueline Ballast
Iwasakis & PCs (71K) - Blueline Ballast
Iwasakis & PC Actinics (from Lampsnow) - Blueline Ballast
Iwasakis & PC Actinics (from Lampsnow) - PFO Ballasts
Iwasakis & VHOs Super Actinics (Blue) - PFO Ballasts - Current Setup!

http://www.carlosreef.com/bulb_comparison.htm

Well, after looking at the pics, you people be the judges of lighting. Tell me if the tank looks yellow or does it look white or blue.

Keep on reefing!!

BTW, do not attempt this at home as it is very hazardous to your health!!!

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."
Old 07/06/2001, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Carlos, great shots. Wish you had Ushio and AB 10K's there to compare!!

Thanks!
Old 07/06/2001, 09:09 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Carlos,
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your findings with everyone. The pictures you provided are great. I'm glad to hear and see that the 250's with the 2 110 vho's give off a very nice color. It is the combination that I'm planning on going with. I have the 250 Iwaski's but I don't have my vho lighting yet. Are your corals responding well to this set up?
Thanks again for all the info. you share on this board and on you great website.
TnReefer
Old 07/06/2001, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

VERY COOL CARLOS!!!!
Thanks a million for showing us all the difference in all those bulbs. I have just one ? for ya!!?? What do you do with all of those bulbs after you do the tests???????
Chris
Old 07/06/2001, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Carlos!

You have helped me in making some decisions on my lighting! Beautiful Tank!
Old 07/06/2001, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Great comparison!! I've ended up with almost the same set-up on my tank, adding two 96 watt Super Actinic VHOs to add blue and washout some of the yellow from the MH 250s. Looking at your tank, I may push them up to the 110s as well!!!
Old 07/07/2001, 08:37 AM
Moved On

thankx so much, that is the exact setup i was thinking of doing 2-250 65k with 2 110 vho, now i know i made the right choice..
Old 07/07/2001, 09:32 AM
Guakamolian Nemesis

I am glad I could help. I have gone thru all that lighting because I just wanted to save money at first. My original lighting setup (idea) was going to be two Iwasakis and the two VHOs but because of money and electricity, I decided to go the other way. Well, as you can see, trying to save money actually ended up costing me a hell of a lot more. In this hobby, trying to go el cheapo actually ends up being el mucho!

Jade,

The two blueline bulbs were sold after a month because my anemone did not like the lighting. Also, they are very dim in comparison to the iwasakis. The PC 71K bulbs I still have. My old tank was under PCs so I had the bulbs already. The PC actinics I did have to purchase and now I am looking to get rid of. The blueline ballasts also were sold (sold them in a day!) and purchased the PFO ballasts. Anyway, the list goes on and on...

Yznhmr,

you have a good looking tank there. And I love the stand for the 120! I wish I could make something like that. Anyway, can I make a suggestion for your tank? Get rid of your sand sifting star. They will destroy your sandbed and you do not want that. You will be amazed of how damage one single star can do. If you are looking for sandsifting creatures, get some bristle worms, order some nassarious snails from PA but get rid of that star. IMHO.

Well, as soon as I have a pic of the VHOs only, I will post it. People can then look at a side by side pic of VHO actinics and the Lampsnow actinics!

Keep on reefing,

Carlos

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."
Old 07/07/2001, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

I definately like the appearance of the 2 250 watt BlueLine Bulbs (Blueline Ballast). I would and will try to mimic. This was exactly what I was looking for instead of buying something that wasn't as anticipated.

Thanks,
Old 07/07/2001, 11:37 AM
I like rocks.

Thumbs up

Yeah grea job man! The PC 03's look GREAT. Can't wait untill I get two of the 55 watters to supplement my 250 watt Iwasaki on an EYE ballast. IMO the 03 PC's with the Iwasaki's looks the best. It is almost perfect. I think if the Iwasakis were run on an EYE ballast it would be absolutely perfect. I can't wait to get my set up running. I will be sure to post some pix of that too for some comparrison