Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2003, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Question What do I have stuck in my hand?

OK, I've been dealing with this for a long time now, so I am finally looking for a good answer.

Sometimes when I use my hand to move sand or rock around in my tank, I get these small fibers or spines stuck in my hand that are fairly annoying and painful. They are microscopic, I can barely make them out with the naked eye. They appear to be clear and very brittle. I usually have to pull them out with tweezers but sometimes they get stuck and can be very unpleasant for a couple of days. I also encounter them when I squeeze out my filter media during routine cleaning.

I am assuming that they are one of the following:

silicates
bristle worm spines
fiberglass
some sort of invert (diatom like)
????????

I am using NYC tap water run through an Aquarium Pharm. filter.

They are pretty annoying so I would like to ID them and hopefully remove most of them from the tank. As it stands, I can't stick my hand on any sand without getting a few of them in my fingers.

Thanks!
Old 08/28/2003, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Ahh....welcome to the wonderful world of bristle worms...sounds like those for sure. One way to get them out is to place elmers glue on your hand, let dry and then peel it off...comes right out.
There is unrest in the reef, There is trouble with the corals, for the lps want more sunlight And the sps ignore their pleas....The trouble with the LPS,(And they're quite convinced they're right) They say the SPS are just too lofty And they grab up all the light. But the SPS can't help their feelings If they like the way they're made. And they wonder why the LPS Can't be happy in their shade..So the LPS formed a union And demanded equal rights. "The SPS are just too greedy;We will make them give us light." Now there's no more SPS oppression, For they passed a noble law, And the Corals are all kept equal By Reefer.. frag.. and saw.
Old 08/28/2003, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

or use gloves
Old 08/28/2003, 11:37 AM
m0derated

I get that too. Its bristle worm spines. Latex gloves don't help, BTW. They just poke you right through. I dry my hand with a hairdryer and use a piece of electrical tape to pull them out.
Old 08/28/2003, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Any suggestions for how to kill the worms?
Old 08/28/2003, 12:04 PM
In it for the bubbles

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the worms. There are a number of other things that this could be. Certain types of sponges contain spicules much like you're describing, and you wouldn't necessarily notice the creature itself. With worms, you will usually be able to see the worm, and feel it as it flips away from you. There are also some types of corals that shed slivers--can't recall the name right off, but it's ahard coral. Of the two, I would say that the sponges are more likely. Thick rubber gloves would be your best bet. Or, Home Depot sells cloth gloves that have a rubber coating on the palm and fingers. You could get a clean pair, and use them for nothing else. Yes, they will get wet, but they are very good defense against stabbing things--they protect me when I work with my roses, and when I work with fiberglass mesh.
Old 08/28/2003, 12:06 PM
West Coast reefin'

Duct tape works too.

As does putting your hands in vinegar. They are calcuim based so they dissolve

Bristle worms are quite beneficial to your system.

If you are really worried about them. Put a predator in there to eat them. Dottyback, arrow crab, CBanded shripmp. That will keep them in check.

Beauty fades....
Stupid is forever......

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 08/28/2003, 12:09 PM
intergalatic hitchhiker

most likely its a type of calcerous SPONGE- they usually spread all over the dark areas of your live rock, and will grow into the filter media-

Easiest way to remove them is to spread tape(duct tape works the best IMO) across the affected area, making sure the tape is well seated and then pull off-

I, personally, have never wished to be a hot dog