Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2003, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Did I mention there was an Esso station charging 99.9 cents/ litre on the way home?

Dunno how much USD/ gallon that is, but my friend says about 70/litre is what he pays in San Fran.
Old 08/16/2003, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

I'm surprised the blackout hasn't happened before now. The grid in the Northeast is outdated. When we were working on power plants a couple years ago we knew then the next trouble spot after California would be the Northeast because of the power grid. The grid is not large enough to handle all the power that can be generated. Luckily in Texas we are the only state to be on their own power grid so if something goes wrong we can isolate ourselves from the rest of the country. http://www.msnbc.com/local/kprc/a174...ts=81520032208 If you live in an area of the country where you have power problems I would recommend getting a generator backup.
Old 08/16/2003, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

was out for 24 hrs stirred the water on all my tanks with an egg beater tvery time i passed it looks like everything is cool
Old 08/16/2003, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Total lost here. SPS, Angels, and Tangs

I lost power for 23 hours(NYC). Everything in the tank was dead by 7am Friday when I got home. I was stuck at work babysitting my company's servers.
Old 08/16/2003, 01:14 AM
SPS PIMP

As soon as the power went out I ran to a near by bait and tackle store to buy battery operated air pumps use to keep bait alive. 26 hours later about 20 D batteries later, everything seems to be ok for now.

if I didn't have reef tank I would have taken this power outtage in stride
Old 08/16/2003, 02:20 AM
Über-Reefers

My heart goes out to everyone. We received a call from one of our Detroit reefer friends this morning. They actually live in the burbs, but they didn't get power back until the afternoon. They lost almost all their fish, including, I'm sad to say their puffer.

They stayed up all night stirring their tank, but after so many hours of exhausted worry their puffer tragically succumbed. My heart goes out to you K and L, you guys are such good people.

Dan and I were out running errands when the power outage first began. We arrived home at about 6 PM. One of our halides was not fired, and our alarm clock was blinking 3:52. So I'm guessing we felt the very tail end of the outage here in Kalamazoo Michigan.

This is all so sad, my condolences and a big hug to anyone who lost beloved pets.

-Meg

BTW-We have the apartment insured. As I recall the policy does cover fish tank related equipment such as skimmers, lighting, and the actual tank itself. However, they did tell us they won't cover livestock losses.
Old 08/16/2003, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

wipeout

Lost power for 23 hours in NYC. Lost most? SPS, all tangs, anthias, six line, shrimps, most crabs/snails.

The only survivors are (hopefully) a clam and two damsels. I have a few SPS which might yet make it, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Loosing the fish hurts, they had all been in the tank since the beginning (2 years), but loosing the SPS, which were all grown from frags, is PAINFUL. Especially given that I had thought many times about preparing for a power outage and never did.

The only positive thing I can say, is that before today, I had no idea how successful my sand bed was. There were thousands of pods, worms, etc., (now mostly dead) on top of the sand bed.

I live on the top floor of my building. Now I'm going to figure out how to install a generator on the roof!
Old 08/16/2003, 07:33 AM
Moved forward

I'm a lucky SOB

Only lost power for 8 hours , my only loss's I have seem to be a decrease in pods . I am definatly getting a generator when there are back in stock though.
good going guys for all those inventive ways of tank survivle . As for me all I did was hope and pray , and got extreemly lucky.
sorry to here about all the losses out there ,I can't Imagine how you feel .
Old 08/16/2003, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Power in detroit 'burbs

I'm truely sorry to hear of all the loses to the great blackout. I'm in a northern 'burb of detroit and didn't get power until 12:00am or so this morning, 32 hours total.

I'm glad to report no losses as of yet. I have 4 fresh water and 1 reef tank and I beleive that everyone will make it.
Old 08/16/2003, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

I live in New York City. My neighborhood was one of the last to get power back -- 28 hours without power. Lost all of my fish and some really nice sps -- Been doing water changes-- keep your fingers crossed.

Andy
Old 08/16/2003, 09:05 AM
Moved On

32 hours and no losses, that's pretty darn good.
Old 08/16/2003, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Well power turned back on this morning at 1:30 am! I went for 33 hours without power. For the first 22 hours I used a cheap-o battary powered air pump. Then switched over to a generator for the rest of the time. Everything survived. So glad! I am going to defenatly invest in a generator. Hope everyone else had good luck!
Old 08/16/2003, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

well.....i am in tears...i lost everything.....i was without power for about 27 hours....everything is gone...i have to start from a scratch.....all fish,sps....i cant even type,my hands are shaking..
my friend ,who u all know,,,,montepora lost his tank also...
thankx,stix..he took some of my sps to his tank...he got power much earlyer then i did....
last nite i took everything out,,,clean sand....i didnt even knew how many worms i had(((
doing water change...but my water still cloudy......
ohhh...welll.....
Old 08/16/2003, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

You know, i heard many different explanations. But i never heard any news groups talk about computer hackers.
just a possibility
Old 08/16/2003, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

we were without power for 21 hours, ran my return pump and skimmer for few hours off a inverter and so far no losses though some of my sps don't look very happy, fish clams, LPS and softies look great. Kept the house closed up except at night and the tank was at 78 when the power came back so I consider myself very lucky. Needless to say we will be getting a gererator soon. For those who can't afford a generator the inverter is a great idea we ran our TV for about 5 hours and ran the tank pumps for a few hours and the gas gauge did not even budge.
Old 08/16/2003, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Very sorry to hear about your losses.
I began wondering right away when I heard of the power outage how people were going to handle their tanks or even how FS's were going to deal with somehting like this.
Sounds like a lot of you had some really great ideas and were prepared. I was without power for only 6 hours one day a month ago here in TN. I used the battery powered air pumps and one Coleman battery operated air pump and all went well. I then realized the need for a generator or something else that would last longer in the event that the power was to go out for a longer period of time. After seeing what you all have gone thru I am even more motivated on getting a generator very soon.

Good Luck to all of you up there!

Kip
Old 08/16/2003, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Well, I lost:

1 damsel
1 shrimp
maybe several THOUSAND pods and worms (they were everywhere)

A LOT of SPS, looks like most of my acros are gone, I tried to blow slime off them this afternoon and it basically blew away everything, completely bleached. Most of my montis are ok though. Also my anthelia crashed pretty bad, I'm still assessing the damage.

One of the worst things I think will be trying to restock, as most of the stores around here are very fond of gouging and will probably use their own losses (if any) as a way to keep prices inflated for the next 6 months.
Old 08/16/2003, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Lost everything. 4 years of collecting all gone.
Ack.
Old 08/16/2003, 03:02 PM
Moved On

Man, this is sad. I am sorry.
Old 08/16/2003, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

i know im going to get flamed for this but here i go
alot of you have can spend 300 400 for a skimmer
tons of money on corals but cant go out and buy
a generator you cry its to much money
i see people crying they lost a couple grand in corals fish etc
now i bet you will go out and buy a generator
it makes me mad to see all the fish and coral that died

im sorry for all your guys and girls loses but a reeftank isnt cheap
Old 08/16/2003, 03:58 PM
RC Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by sixpackrt
alot of you have can spend 300 400 for a skimmer
tons of money on corals but cant go out and buy
a generator you cry its to much money
i see people crying they lost a couple grand in corals fish etc
now i bet you will go out and buy a generator
it makes me mad to see all the fish and coral that died

im sorry for all your guys and girls loses but a reeftank isnt cheap
I agree a little bit... A generator is part of "Reef Keeping 101". I've used my generator so many times... It's been a real life saver, literally...

Ryan
Old 08/16/2003, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Sixpack,

Where were you during the blackout?..I could have used a cold one, J/K.

I do understand about a generator, however i never anticipated i would be out for 25 hrs. I live in an APT, where should i keep the generator, next to my tv?..You understand my point. The only thing i wish i had was the battery pumps. I did agitate it alot, but time just caught up with me.

I did not lose everything, but my acros are bad. I did learn my lesson and i will be prepared for next time.
Old 08/16/2003, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

i see poeple losing thousands of dollors in corals
fish people will go out and spend thousands on there reef tank
spend 5 or 6 hundred on lighting another couple hundred on a skimmer ca reactor etc but wont spend a couple hundred on a genereator because the think its to much money all you guys that didnt have a generator this week lost thousands of dollars in coral fish etc which makes me mad because
you couldnt go and spend a couple hundred on a generator
so what if you might never use it its there just incase of a power
outage people take electricity for granted every thing breaks
sooner or later it will happen

im sorry for all your loses
but get with it buy a generator and dont waste your money an battery backups they only last for so long generators last for
yrs
Old 08/16/2003, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

what the heck i posted that before and told me the server was to busy i thought it didnt post well i have 2 comments now
no i wasnt in the black out thank god i have a 2500 watt generator sitting in my bacement about 6 months ago i was trying to sell it for a 125 bucks or trade it for reef stuff maybe i should do it now i understand people with appartments but cant you store it in a closet after the gas is drained out i bet there is a basement in there ask the owner if you can store it in the base ment

if anyone ever need a generator your welcome to borrow mine
i have 2 one at my garage and one at the house im in the wilkes barrie scranton area

Last edited by sixpackrt; 08/16/2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08/16/2003, 05:11 PM
Moved On

I thought generators were more than a couple hundred. If not, tell me where I can get one for that. I think most people slowly add money to there tanks and don't run out and spend big money on one item like a generator. Here's my reasons for not buying one. I have absolutely no room for one and I could possibly spend hundreds of dollars and never turn the darn thing on one time.

I am debating this very hard now after this blackout. Does anyone have a good place to direct me to for buying one?