Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > New Jersey Reefer's Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2003, 10:03 PM
******* NJRC

Question

What is the biggest and best LFS in your area??

Most know that I favor Absolutely Fish, I am wanting to know of others across the states of NJ, PA, and NY

Tracey
Old 08/11/2003, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

There isn't really any thing good in my area. I actully travel the hour and a half ride to AF when I really want to see nice stuff. The Hidden Reef in Philly is nice too, but it is not AF.

Roy
Old 08/11/2003, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

I've been using Pet Plus. They've got some pretty good stuff in there Lawrenceville and Langhorne stores, but the nicest stuff I've seen is in there Philly store.

I've been to the Hidden Reef twice. The first time I liked what I saw, so I bought an Elegance Coral. I had it for about a week when it stopped opening up and subsequently (slowly but surely) died. I went back there a second time and all of the corals were bleaching and dead. Will never go back there again.
Old 08/11/2003, 10:22 PM
******* NJRC

Jim,
I know that the elegence coral is one of the hardest of the LPS's to raise in captivity. It is right up there with some of the flower pot corals only more exspensive. But I know how frustrating it is to buy something only for it to die within a week.

Tracey
Old 08/11/2003, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I like Pets Plus in Lawrenceville, too. I've been to their Langhorne store but I wasn't too impressed with it (other than they had a larger selection of dog bones :P).
Old 08/12/2003, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Where's Pet Plus in Lawrenceville?
Old 08/12/2003, 09:52 AM
The love of me life

Location: New Jersey (Yes our governor is gay not that there is anything wrong with that)
Pets plus in lawrenceville is located on lawrenceville road. At the brunswick circle. Ask for me Jeff if you go in I work mon, tues and thur nites 5-9 and sundays9-6. Introduce yourself to me, i would love to get to know some of you people. I will give you special care. We have only been open since last march. Come in on sundays and get the deal.
Old 08/12/2003, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

It's on the Brunswick Circle right off of Business Route 1. Their address is 111 Lawrenceville Rd, Lawrenceville NJ 08648, phone 609-278-0888.

It's the best LFS I've found in Mercer County so far, but their prices are just about the same as most other pet stores (yuck), although some of their sales are pretty good. The people at Precious Pets (in Trenton) are nice, too, and they sell a different variety of stuff than Pets Plus, I tend to like the livestock better at Pets Plus.

I've also tried Marty's Tropical Fish in, uh...I guess it's still considered Hamilton. It's at the, uh, 206 circle? Right near an all you can eat chinese food place. Didn't really like their livestock at all.

I stopped by Dom's Pet Store (whatever it's called) in Mercerville since it's new and they advertised a 55 gallon tank with hood for $99, but they have zippo for saltwater livestock and only a minimal amount of saltwater supplies.

That's about it, Pet's Plus and Precious Pets are the two that I go to.
Old 08/12/2003, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

I usually frequent Aquarium Discount and Aquarium Authority... they aren't the biggest fish stores but they're also one block from each other so you can shop around.

I really like the livestock presentation at AA, nice clean tanks with healthy looking fish (no floaters either). AD has great hardware prices with a massive selection but is a bit of a sty.

There are a couple of larger ones but those two being so close to each other I consider it one store (that and they're both about five miles from my house).

EDIT: These are both in Medford at the 70/73 circle.
Old 08/12/2003, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Where's aquarium authority at?
Old 08/12/2003, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john76
Where's aquarium authority at?
If you take 70 toward Camden from the circle, it's on the left (across the street from Kohls) pretty close to the "Silk and Spice" Chinese restaurant.
Old 08/12/2003, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

hidden reef is nice, but i never seen anything compare to AF.
Old 08/12/2003, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

we should have a meeting at AF in a few months or so.
Old 08/12/2003, 04:37 PM
******* NJRC

Well, I need to talk to Patrick about that. Once I get back from my vacation.

Tracey
Old 08/12/2003, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

how about Aquarium Center in Clementon
Old 08/13/2003, 07:44 AM
******* NJRC

Guys the reason I am asking this is I would like to have small banners made up and placed in select LFS's throughout the state of NJ. Of course sponsering stores are already on the list to be given one. Now I will rephrase the question.

What store in your area would you give a banner to?

I already took one to AF.... I figured with Reefer Madness coming up and the place will be packed again, This is a great place to get our name out there.
Now here is what has been stated so far, Do you think that they would be willing to put a banner up for us?

Hidden Reef
Aquarium Center
Aquarium Authority
Aquarium Discount
Precious Pets
Pets Plus
Marty's Tropical Fish
Dom's Pet Store

Traxey
Old 08/13/2003, 08:17 AM
The love of me life

Location: New Jersey (Yes our governor is gay not that there is anything wrong with that)
Tracy, How big of a banner are we talking about. Our store Pets Plus has a bunch of stuff hanging around already. Plus our walls have murels all over them. If you let me know the size i will see if there is any place to hang it.
Old 08/13/2003, 08:19 AM
******* NJRC

It like a two foot x two foot square, something in that range.

Tracey
Old 08/13/2003, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

We should throw Fishtails on that list.
Old 08/13/2003, 11:46 AM
******* NJRC

Members that are already working for an LFS will have Banners for their stores. Sorry thought that would be a given. Figured Gin and Sharky would naturally want one.

Tracey
Old 08/13/2003, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

I like Ocean Gallery II on Route 22 in Plainfield. They have a nice selection of corals & critters
Old 08/13/2003, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

I don't know if Precious Pets would be willing, but I can find out. I'll leave Pet's Plus to Gin

I don't know Marty's or Dom's well enough at all, and as I said Dom's really doesn't seem to be Saltwater oriented at all. I've only been to Marty's once just to see what was there