Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/22/2003, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmarnie I dont want to seem like some jerk
Oh, no, not at all.

Seeing your experience level in the hobby, you were not in it at the time of the really heated arguments between those who ran plenums vs. those who ran sandbeds.
This was like five years ago now? Something like that...

Anyway, my point here is also to state that there are no right/wrong answers.

We can't cater completely to the newbies as we can't cater completely to those who have been in the hobby for a decade or more. Some balance has to be achieved. Frankly, I've attended a number of meetings in which I learned nothing. Boring? Maybe. But not always.
I like to help people, so I nearly always get into discussions with people during or after the meetings. This is what makes it worth going to meetings.

One thing that I think we have found is that many people new to the club seem to feel 'dumb'- they do not want to ask questions because they don't want to appear dumb. Which is crazy, because that is the whole reason why we come to the meetings. Discussion groups are great, but face to face is far better because we can ask better questions, and give far better advice.

Regards.
Mike Kirda
Old 05/22/2003, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

I think mike and tom both have good points here,but I am leaning more towards mikes side on this one.Also tom,with all the cmas members that are just starting out tanks I see no need for any of us to throw away any frags.I would love to buy more frags from fellow members ,but some of them seem to be in it for the money
and not the hobby.I have some members selling frags for the same price as a lfs.Two scheduled frag swaps a year sounds good as well.Good to hear everybody speaking up on this,because the last meeting seemed like an act of desperation.Was thrown together at the last minute which really isnt cool .The planning committe should of had that figured out well in advance.How hard can it be to plan out 8 meetings?

Jorge
Old 05/22/2003, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alpine
the last meeting seemed like an act of desperation.Was thrown together at the last minute which really isnt cool .The planning committe should of had that figured out well in advance.How hard can it be to plan out 8 meetings?

Jorge
Jorge,

Really, it was. On behalf of John and myself, I apologize. It won't happen again. There are a lot of things that are/were going on behind the scenes: things that should be wrapped up shortly.
This will make all of the club's leaders breathe a happy sigh of relief.

I'm calling Sanjay Joshi tonight to see about having him come out next fall. We will just need to work out the dates.

Regards.
Mike Kirda
Old 05/22/2003, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

I like that format you suggested. It gives alittle bit of everything throughout the year so there would be something for everybody at one point or another I would think.
Old 05/22/2003, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

I think all the ideas are great maybe we can throw in a meeting too where it's decided what happens by an online poll that could be interesting because then people might feel more involved in the process and attend as well. And if people are throwing away frags hell ill take them im setting up tanks for growing corals now and after they stabalize I want to be able to get a good variety so I can help people get frags without paying an arm and a leg If all works out and they grow well I dont see myself charging for them really because trading is the name of the game. And it to me is kind of like gardening but underwater and the challenge is really nice.
Old 05/22/2003, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up Donation

Maybe a little off the subject but I would be willing to donate a couple of our FrankFurter Converter product for an upcoming meeting. Not exactly reef, but it is a must for anyone who thinks they have everything that the hobby has to offer. Besides I am sure that it will add a little fun to your activity.

In exchange... A couple of photos of the recipient.

Check it out at http://octodog.net

Truepercs
Old 05/23/2003, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

I am all for the frankfurter thing,but I do not think we are allowed to bring food into the library.We do have a picnic(I hope)that should be coming up soon.It would be fun to have some octodogs on hand to eat

Jorge
Old 05/23/2003, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
There seems to be roughly a two year cycle for reefers.

How come I ALWAYS feel like I'm in the first cycle ?!!!

whirley
Old 06/03/2003, 12:25 PM
Was Here

I just wanted to link this forum to a similar one where ReefHobbyist mentioned Phytoplankton cultures.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...s=&forumid=180