Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

cheato lighting

I am currently running a 96w PC w/ reflector over my fuge for my cheato, I feel that this is major overkill. combo bulb 10k/actinic

I am thinking about moving it to the middle of my canopy between my two 175w MH to take care of my V of darkness.

would a 26w compact fluorescent bulb be enough for cheato growth?

if not, what would do as a good cheato growth bulb

iso setting is off on this pic, the MH are much brighter than the pic shows. I just changed the bulbs to 14k, were 6700k in pic. nice crisp white with a blue tint.

thanks.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

I also have a 70w MH ballast, medium socket, reflector that i can use, not currently hooked up.

I have a second 96w PC 10k/actinic setup in a 12g nano. would the 70w MH be enough of a replacement for the 96w PC.

Was thinking about maybe putting both 96w PC's into the 110g if the 70w MH would be sufficient for the 12g nano.

again, thanks.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

I use a 26w spiral CF bulb on my Fuge with good results. It is one of the Daylight (comes in blue packaging) ones from Home Depot, but I have seen them at Target and Walmart for cheaper.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Chaeto growth

I am using a 36w PC 50/50 setup on my fuge and it's working great.
I think it cost me about 35 bucks or so.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:02 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
lights of america fixtures/bulbs from home depot, they are back with the outdoor flood lights, the 42w version is 6500k and will fit in any standard thread socket, I just paid around $10 or so for it.