Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: if you can have any setup what is your ideal return setup?
single return on one side 0 0%
dual return, each side higher portion of the tank 6 66.67%
quad return, 2 each side - 1 in the middle and 1 one higher portion 2 22.22%
spray bar across back side 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01/09/2008, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

custom nano retun possibilites... please give input

hi, i have been thinking about a nano tank... let me know what type of return is best for nano's... i am covering basic choices... but if you have a special setup that is working exceptionally well... please mention...

so basically if you could redo your 20g-30g setup... what would your returns look like?

sorry for the crude pic... but it should get the job done...

i personally thought it would be good to have the quad setup... would lower the chances of needing power heads...

Last edited by faded1004; 01/09/2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I don't have an answer but I do have the same question. Right now I use a singe outlet on a single side and I was thinking about replumbing it to be a single outlet on both sides, but am unsure if it will matter.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

not many people with input? let's bring it to the top...
Old 01/10/2008, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

I use a single return on mine.

Id say that a single return would be fine unless you are trying to get away with not having to use any powerheads. My experience in the hobby is very low though, so my advice might mean nothing.

My GUESS is that, if you wanted to use your return as your main source of circulation you might consider dual returns. Quad returns seems like overkill and would be a nightmare to plub, not look clean, and be a major risk for leaking/flooding.

If you arent afraid to invest in some good powerheads id say just go with a single return.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

I have a 20(ish)g nano.I started of with a SCWD and dual returns but the power rating of the pump had to be rather large to manage the head loss...im trying to keep the power consumption of my tank as low as i can so the 70W EHEIM beast went and i replaced it with a smaller EHEIM and a single return.if you dont want to add power heads to your tank why not try a single return and then a SCWD( sry guys i like them!) on a closed loop to proving alternating current?i believe Melev has a nice little DIY setup on his web page.
3x24w t5 luminare(2x14K marine white,1xactinic)
V2 400 skimmer
Old 01/10/2008, 01:38 PM
OT Aluminum Chef

I just setup a 20H w/10g sump for my mantis.

Center overflow box - 1" drain x2 (a la Herbie)
3/4" returns x2 w/single locline outlets

Quietone 3000 return pump

Great movement in the tank and quiet too.

If you go with the quad, remember to plumb in a backflow preventer (anti siphon) - Without them, if you have a power outage, your tank will drain to the lowest return outlet.

Last edited by yankeereefer; 01/10/2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

since th 20 ish tank will be kinda small, may be cause i run a 260g tank... i am trying to keep as much room inside and push the flow...

i think top choice is goign to be dual return, with external ovrflow... but once i get some more info... returns inside rock work might be possible...

my last 110g tall had a quiet one pump... and i loved them...