Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 02:15 PM
][D][][V][][D

Thumbs up Re: Update!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by azhorsegal
On day 13 it was rather a sad day here at the Bangaii Nursery. We lost 8 babies in one day!!! But that was to be expected though as I was warned by Frank that it's typical to lose a lot at the 10-14 day mark. I just didn't expect it to happen in one day. But I've only lost 2 since then and they are now 3 1/2 weeks old and I still have about 20 babies left. All looking good and starting to eat Cylopeeze now!! I'll be happy when I can stop hatching BBS. I will try and get some new pics up at the end of the week, to mark the 4 week mile-stone.
awesome Wendy!!
Old 12/31/2007, 07:16 PM
Mushroom King

owning those cardinals when your a big time breeding don't forget us little poeple

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 12/31/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMCAquarium
owning those cardinals when your a big time breeding don't forget us little poeple
Yeah right, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'll be contacting those who want one (or two) when they are ready to go, as I won't be able to keep any of them (well....maybe one for my office Mini-reef tank).
Old 12/31/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Don't worry, after a year or 2 hatching daily BB becomes like having morning coffe. The day just won't be the same without it.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Hi did you just buy a pair not knowing they were mated, and if so how long till they mated and I am amazed that you got them to go this far honestly an astounding feat for you for sure you have to be grinning ear to ear. Thanks for sharing it was marvelous to see.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Thank you so much for the update! It truly is awesome. Please put me on the list somewhere for one
Old 01/01/2008, 01:14 AM
Mushroom King

Wendy Rather then start a whole new thread I just posted a pic of my baby here hope it was ok. He getting so big

[url=][IMG]

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 01/03/2008, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron1955
Hi did you just buy a pair not knowing they were mated, and if so how long till they mated and I am amazed that you got them to go this far honestly an astounding feat for you for sure you have to be grinning ear to ear. Thanks for sharing it was marvelous to see.
Well, when I went to the lfs to pick up a pair of cardinals their was no real way of knowing, just an educated guess. I knew the males had more of a square jaw and the males and females usually hung out together. So in a tank of about 15 cardinals, I did my best to pick out two that seemed to be hanging out together (with one jaw more square than the other). I've had my Bangaii Cardinals since April 2007, and this is their first batch of babies. I bought them a little small though, so they may have not been sexually mature at that point. They are now though!!!
Old 01/03/2008, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabum
Don't worry, after a year or 2 hatching daily BB becomes like having morning coffe. The day just won't be the same without it.
You are right about that, it's kind of become a morning routine. The hatchery is in my kitchen though, and I'm getting a bit tired of the bright light bulb. So I need to think of another place to put it.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMCAquarium
Wendy Rather then start a whole new thread I just posted a pic of my baby here hope it was ok. He getting so big
I'm happy to see he's doing good. And I know what he really looks like, the picture doesn't do him justice. Let me know when you start seeing more pop up.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

If there's any room left I'd like to get on that list for a pair.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffKirk
If there's any room left I'd like to get on that list for a pair.
I believe there is still room. I'll add you to the list and then I should probably hand write this thing out to see where I'm at.

Does anyone know if it's ok to have two mated pairs from the same batch of babies. Is a brother/sister combo ok?
Old 01/05/2008, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

They will come out with 3 top fins, 5 eyes & sharp teeth haha j/k. Not sure but am tired and trying to be funny :-P
Old 01/07/2008, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

I lost another baby last night , so now I'm down to 19, but still good IMO. They are 4 1/2 weeks old and here are some pics I took today.

Here is a picture with all 19. See if you can find them all....

And here is close up shot of one. Looking more like mom and dad everyday.

Old 01/07/2008, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Good pictures, thanks for the update.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Thank's Wendy.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

i cant wait till they are ready remember by this thread im first on the list
Old 01/07/2008, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvlax40
i cant wait till they are ready remember by this thread im first on the list
Don't worry, you are #1.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on the fry! Want to hear something sad? When I was in Hong Kong on "Fish Street" adult Bengaiis were selling for about $2-3 USD. It was sickening to see how much fish and corals cost over there compared to here...Simply amazing how much were getting RIPPED! Ohh well...I guess its just what youre willing and able to pay.

-JP
Old 01/07/2008, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DjScibbity
Congrats on the fry! Want to hear something sad? When I was in Hong Kong on "Fish Street" adult Bengaiis were selling for about $2-3 USD. It was sickening to see how much fish and corals cost over there compared to here...Simply amazing how much were getting RIPPED! Ohh well...I guess its just what youre willing and able to pay.

-JP
Well, IMO they are not charging enough for the Bangaii, especially since they are close to being on the endangered list. If anyone wants my tank raised fish that were NOT plucked from the ocean then they will be $12 each, which wont even cover my cost for raising them, but it's one less fish plucked from the ocean.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

I would like one when they are ready if there is still one available. Thanks
Old 01/07/2008, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

I believe I am on the List somewhere and think 12 dollars for a tank raised quality fish is a price I would happily pay
Old 01/08/2008, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

i would gladly give you 12 dollars i love that you took the time to raise them and help out the oceans from over fishing
Old 01/08/2008, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

The Waiting List

OK, here is the waiting list for the babies. You are listed in order from when you contacted me, either through this thread or pm. So far 14 babies have been claimed. (Now I feel like a foster parent. )

my best friend (1)
dvlax40 (1)
snoppy (2)
racecaraz (1)
BonesCJ (3)
EvilE (1)
Chetm2 (2)
Jeffkirk (2)
drgnthug (1)

Let me know if you no longer want to be on the waiting list, or if you want to be added (or if I made a mistake on the # you want). BonesCJ, you might want to rethink the # you want, if two pair off they will kill the 3rd one (but you might have a reason for 3). I believe it will be at least 2 months (maybe 3) before they will be ready to go and I won't let them go until they are 100% on frozen food. If for some reason I lose more fry then the last people on the list will be left out. BUT, I still have 19 fry so hopefully the current list will be proud parents in a few months.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Cut me back to just 2, that way more people can get them :-D