Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation 67 gals too much for bedroom?

Just looking for opinions on this, wondering if 67 gals of tanks, a 55gal QT and a 12 gal QT are too much moisture for my bedroom? When I closed the door last night, it was too big, and rubbed on the jam. It's a standard bedroom, 13'x12' I think. Should I look into a dehumidifier of some sort? Any recommendations? I'm also getting that 'feel' when you walk into a LFS, that slightly humid (more so then the FL air lol), salty smell/feel when I've had the door closed too long. It's the furthest room from the a/c unit, so I think that's compounding the problems (it's always warmer in that room, esp. during the summers).
Old 01/07/2008, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

How about two 20 gallon QTs?

Matt.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Is that a suggestion to switch out the 55 and 12, to 2, 20gals? Or do you have the same question? If so, I have a Naso in the 55, I wouldn't put in anything smaller.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Yea a suggestion lol. Are you keeping the Naso?

Matt.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Yep, got the Naso last Thursday. Beautiful little guy, ~2.5". He'll be in QT for 4 weeks fattening up, then head into my 125. Then into my next tank upgrade, years down the road...
Old 01/07/2008, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

I'd at least recommending circulating the air in your house to keep the humidity in that room down. Otherwise, I'd say you should cover the tanks to minimize evaporation. As long as you have a skimmer and such, you should have plenty of oxygen in the water. If that doesn't work, yeah, I'd recommend a dehumidifier, or moving the tanks elsewhere where the humidity can disperse.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:33 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

I have a 90g in my guest bedroom and a 12 in mine with a 80 in my living room

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 01/07/2008, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

No skimmer yet, been waiting to get a decent one for the 29 reef before I swap it onto the 55 (Bak-Pak with a GenX 1400 pump). Currently just two bio wheel filters, 30lbs of LR, and 10gal water changes every third day. Been wanting to get a top for it too, avoid any jumping scenarios. Will speed the search up. The 12 is nano so it's completely self enclosed.

Will keep the door open and open the window when it's cooler out. Searching auctions sites and craigslist for a dehum.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:39 PM
Nothing to put here

Are you keeping the door closed? If so, any reason? Keep the door open and a fan on to circulate the air.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

I usually close it at night and mostly shut, not all the way, 75% or so, the door when I leave for work. Mostly habit from college living. Will leave the fan on too.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:12 PM
Nothing to put here

I would get a small portable fan and put it on a table in the room close to the door, and aim it our the door. This will evacuate the hot humid air. You can even leave the door mostly closed with this method.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

I think covering the tanks would help the most. I have mine covered in glass tops to protect my fish anyways. hate to think one might jump out. but the moisture builds up underneath.
any windows? guess that wouldn't help when your gone all day tho
Old 01/07/2008, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

I think I found what it was. The water level has gotten a bit low, and the water coming out of the left bio wheel was splashing into the tank, sending a little drop or two every few second. The salt bucket I had in front of the tank was pretty soaked as well as a bit of carpet
Old 01/07/2008, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Re: 67 gals too much for bedroom?

Quote:
Originally posted by AquaKnight407
Just looking for opinions on this, wondering if 67 gals of tanks, a 55gal QT and a 12 gal QT are too much moisture for my bedroom? When I closed the door last night, it was too big, and rubbed on the jam. It's a standard bedroom, 13'x12' I think. Should I look into a dehumidifier of some sort? Any recommendations? I'm also getting that 'feel' when you walk into a LFS, that slightly humid (more so then the FL air lol), salty smell/feel when I've had the door closed too long. It's the furthest room from the a/c unit, so I think that's compounding the problems (it's always warmer in that room, esp. during the summers).
i have my 33 in my room 20 gal sump
i have to keep my door closed all day and my window cracked open and a fan going but its still quite warm and humid in there.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

At one point when I lived with the folks (no rent) I had three one hundred gallon tanks in my room, also a 85 QT. A 5 gal nano and a 55 with snakes. All in one room, It looked better than most fish stores!
Fishies.. 2 perc. clowns @ 1.5", cromis 1 @ 1", PJ cardinal 2 @ 1.5", Blue hippo tang 1@ 1.5", Star goby 1 @ 2.5", Yellow watchmen goby 1 @ 1.5", Fire fish 1 @ 2.5" Inverts. CB large, Cleaner shrimp 1 @ 2.5", Peppermint shrimp 5 @ 1" to 2", Naz snails 10, A few large snails