Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Question 75g for starters lights?

Ok here is what im planning, im willing to setup a 75g before moving onto a 375g. I want to get use to the mixing of salt, equipment use and the diffrent stuff i can have and not have with other tank mates. but the reason fo rthe question is the lighting

I have been reading for a year and I think its time to do. but with so many choices what is better t5 or mh?

I would also like to take the light setup to the 375g if i possible can. the rest of the stuff as far as equipment I have to diy projects which i know none can be used from the 75g to the 375g maybe the pump but thats it. well any input would help Thanks in advance for your help and input. Thanks Carl

Last edited by 3nascar8; 01/05/2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

I can tell you from exsperience that the T5's won't reach the depths of the water enough for the 375. You will need the MH's for that if you plan on keeping corals..Fish only you say? well then T5's will work.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

reefdiva thanks for the input well guess i can scratch that idea. and might just setup the 375g instead only really have money for one sw tank anyway so way not the bigger of the two
Old 01/07/2008, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

always get your lights first and get the most expensive one you can without breaking the bank.

mhs IMO are great cuz they look great hanging from a ceiling which gives them multiple uses
Old 01/07/2008, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

If you started the 75g with MH pendant lighting, you could just add more for a 375g. How long is a 375g? Just thinking 2 x 36" fixtures? If you started with one 36" fixture over the 75g, you would then need to add another 36' fixture for the bigger tank?
Old 01/07/2008, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Att: 3nascar8,,

with the MH..you could do the 75 first..but really why? You then would have to cycle two different tanks. If you still use the one MH on a 375 you could add the second light if needed once you start to build up the area the corals you would buy. Thus,,only havening to cycle one tank. In my opinion,,which I have done it both ways,,I had more pleasure just setting up the bigger tank and adding corals slowly and lights as I need more coverage..I just enjoyed having the bigger tank to look at even if it seemed bare for awhile..it just gave the Tangs more room..lol..I do hope it helps in your choice.