Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Brent F has one. And its on the first page of this thread

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
Y-Desyn - it was lpsluver - here's a link to one page on it - yoou may have to go back or forward to get more on it. I think he fine tuned the overflow later on after these posts:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=3
Old 01/07/2008, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

You Can't Be Serious....!

donna53w -

Don't tell anyone that Reefmack and I didn't really find employment in our majors!... He did get a job in his minor but is now doing something very different!

I'm confused Donna! I just checked on my hometown of Montrose, CO temp. and it is 31 F. with a wind chill temp of 22 F. !!! How can Medicine Hat, Alberta be 40 F. more than 1,000 miles north? I thought you guys were famous for the "Alberta Clipper"??? !

If I ever relocate north of my current border... the Alberta province and the winter time "Chinook Winds" are for me!!!!

Hoping your coral shipment arrives healthy and in great shape!

Regards,
Kent
Old 01/07/2008, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Re: You Can't Be Serious....!

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
donna53w -

Don't tell anyone that Reefmack and I didn't really find employment in our majors!... He did get a job in his minor but is now doing something very different!

I'm confused Donna! I just checked on my hometown of Montrose, CO temp. and it is 31 F. with a wind chill temp of 22 F. !!! How can Medicine Hat, Alberta be 40 F. more than 1,000 miles north? I thought you guys were famous for the "Alberta Clipper"??? !

If I ever relocate north of my current border... the Alberta province and the winter time "Chinook Winds" are for me!!!!

Hoping your coral shipment arrives healthy and in great shape!

Regards,
Kent
Kent, I'm about 100 miles West of Donna and was running in shorts today. As I said to you in a PM, two of the three times I was in Florida is was warmer in Calgary than in Florida. Both times were in January.

Chinooks are what makes winters here bearable. I big advantage of being in the shadow of the Rockies.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishy Something

Donna53w - My solution for that is the little switch on the side of the tank (from memory I think it is the middle one). Move it to the off position! It skims just as well & no microbubbles! [/B]
Oh, now that is easy! However, I would still like to have a skimmer that is operational. Very nice try, tho, Fishy Something.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
I think I am going to order this soon. http://www.aquariumguys.com/eshopps-reef-sump.html
It will fit nicely in the stand and I will be able to get a REAL skimmer working!
I had a custom made 21X17X18 glass sump with antibubble baffles made for $85. Cheaper and 2 1/2 times the capacity.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

Brent F. -

What a great spot you two must live in Canada! I am all for mild winters!!! I must make a point to visit Alberta!

Kent
Old 01/07/2008, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Brent, do you live in Calgary?

Kent, our winters are a real mixture of a bit of everything!! We can get the bitter cold, with a wind chill factor, that can hit -30, but thankfully, that doesn't occur too often or for too long. When it's that cold, it rarely snows. Then we get the lovely Chinook wind, thaws the snow, then it gets below 32F, and if the snow isn't gone, we have icy roads. Alberta is a lovely province to live in. We experience the true beauty of all the 4 Seasons and temps range from in the 100's F in summer to the 'minuses sometimes in the winter. We are a long way from the Yukon & Alaska. They are probably about as far north as California is to our south. If I recall properly, Disneyland is about 1200 miles or so from Medicine Hat, Alberta.

I think Rue may experience colder winters in Saskatchewan, not because she lives further north, but because there are no mountains in her area to add the benefit of the Chinook wind.

Even where I live, it's approx a 4 hour drive to the mountains, but we get strong Chinooks.

Sorry everyone, I'm really off-topic, but I think a lot of our American friends think our winters are worse than they really are. Check out the Atlas & find us!!

Of course, you that are living 'down under, have us all beat for hot weather right now.

OK, sorry .... I'm going now!
Old 01/07/2008, 07:22 AM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - biology degree also? and you're lucky enough to be using it? My chemistry minor is all that i was able to use, and the closest I've ever got to doing any biology work was bacteria counts I've had to do on our products on rare occasions.

Brent F - as Rue & Fishy Something said - the black clowns are actually the same ocellaris species & should be able to breed. I'm not sure what the young would look like though - a mix of the colors, or some standard orange & blacks, or if one color would be dominant and they'd all look the same? Anybody know?

Fishy Something - let us know how the horses do!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
Brent F has one. And its on the first page of this thread

Marty
Thanks Marty!

donna53w -- Thank you! I actually created 3 different avatars and settled on that one. I spent over 2 hours taking pictures and messing with it. 8k is what RC will let you have for a an avatar so that put a cramp on design!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Where did you get the sump made?

Marty

I had a custom made 21X17X18 glass sump with antibubble baffles made for $85. Cheaper and 2 1/2 times the capacity. [/QUOTE]
Old 01/07/2008, 11:36 AM
Professional Obfuscator

We have very cold winters as a rule...much more so than southern or central Alberta...

However, we excuse it by telling everyone it's a 'dry' cold...

There is truth to that...I'd rather have our -40C than -10C in Ontario where it's so humid...I can stay warm here...always feel chilled in Ontario...

Yes...I have 2 degrees in the biological sciences...although I'm fairly well rounded, I'm primarily an entomologist by training. So what am I doing? Filling in for a mat. leave at the moment and starting my first ever consulting project! Right now I'm trying to track down a phone number...harder than one would think...
Old 01/07/2008, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Rue -- LOL a "Dry" cold that is as funny as us AZ people saying... The summer isn't so bad its a "Dry Heat" yeah right it's just #$%&!*# hot!
Old 01/07/2008, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
Where did you get the sump made?

Marty

I had a custom made 21X17X18 glass sump with antibubble baffles made for $85. Cheaper and 2 1/2 times the capacity.
[/QUOTE]
Ordered it from a local fish store - same place I bought the RSM. We have a couple custom aquarium makers in Calgary.

The RSM cabinet at 22 inches wide is too narrow for most tanks. I was asking about options for what would fit and they told me they could build a custom sump. I was surprised by how low the price was.

Quote:
Originally posted by donna53w
Brent, do you live in Calgary?

Yes
Old 01/07/2008, 01:45 PM
Genuine reef addict

rue - good luck with the consulting project!

Y-DesygnGuy - thanks for putting to rest that "comfortable dry heat" thing I've always heard about AZ. I guess hot is hot no matter what the humidity is. How are the new clowns doing?
Old 01/07/2008, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- Well it will get humid in July and August when its monsoon season. But for the most part it is just hot and dry, hardly any wind it's just hot! When you wake up at 6am and its already 90+ outside you know your sc@wed for the day. It can be 3am and its still 100 out side. This goes on for about 4-5 months straight! Really sorta of funny to watch how little people are out during the day. You can go shopping middle of the day in the summer and the stores are fairly empty, 8-9pm at night and they are packed!

The clowns are doing great, such a difference between the two sets ive had. I should of known as soon as the other ones got home when they didn't want to eat there was something wrong. The guy at the store on Saturday when I mentioned that to him, his first response was "yeah not good, tank raised fish will eat everytime". But these guys are awesome I am very happy I got them. 1 more fish is all I want now, I want something that will swim in and out of the rocks. I might chance it... and get some kind of pygmy angel or some kind of Pseudochromis or something to that effect.

I am patiently waiting on UPS today!!! The light fixture should be here anytime now. I was hoping to get it before everyone got home today so I had time to look at things without any chaos! I have taken pictures of my tank as it looks today and I wanted to take some with the light fixture on. I sure hope I like the look of the lid being off, I would love to do a MH set up. I have some friends with some pretty awesome sps corals, so I am hoping the tank will end up looking fantastic! I already want a bigger tank!
Old 01/07/2008, 02:30 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - I'm looking forward to seeing that new fixture on the tank. 70 degrees (F) here today - the high was in the 30s a couple days ago.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

UPS Ground

Tracking is showing the package got into Phoenix yesterday at 1:06pm thats the last time it was up dated. I've called UPS twice now and asked if I could just drive down and get it. They said nope, not until its set up for delivery. So my response was, its been in Phoenix for 24 hours, I paid for it and I paid to ship it, I want it! I got, Sorry sir nothing I can do until its on the next stage then we can set something setup for pickup or delivery.

Oh well I will try and occupy my time with.... work I guess
Old 01/07/2008, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Well this is how the RSM looks at the moment in my family room.

I just want to make sure that by removing the hood the clean look is kept. That is what drew me to the RSM was the clean look it had. I knew it would fit it nicely and I didn't want a bunch of hodge-podge things pieced together, so *fingers are crossed*

On a side note, take a look at this Kenya Tree coral. When I got it about 3 or so months back it was about the size of the far right branches. Now its crazy big and looks great in my 14 gallon I think.

Old 01/07/2008, 03:12 PM
Genuine reef addict

Bummer on UPS not working with you. The Kenya sounds & looks like it multiplies like Xenia!
Old 01/07/2008, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I made the noob mistake and bought a form of Xenia... Its now taken over the right side of the tank. The one thing I did notice with it though... If I raise my calcium level up, it will turns white and shrivels up and dies.

Look at this picture here, I just took this. I just turned the lights on about 2 hours ago so things are still waking up.

See the patch of pink things at the bottom right hand side. It now runs up the rock and into the zoo's and around the back. They are taking over I swear!

This was taken 2 months ago, granted I have robbed a few pieces from the tank for the RSM. But look how different the Kenya Tree is and the Xenia. My Radioactive Dragon Eye zoo's are being choked out by the Xenia you can see the difference clearly.

Old 01/07/2008, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy:

If you are looking for a fish to swim in and out of the rock work, I can think of no better choice than a six line wrasse. It is a very active fish that spends all of its time swimming in and out of the rock work hunting for pods. The fish rarely hides and is usually viewable. On the downside, you pod population will be destroyed. Overall, a very good citizen, and a fun fish to watch.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:29 PM
Genuine reef addict

I can sympathize on the Xenia. At least you have the short Red Sea type it looks like? I have both, and the long branch elongata type killed my pink stylophora SPS by growing next to it and "flapping it to death". I think I'm finally winning the battle with that type though - after a major re-trimming about 2 weeks ago it finally shows no signs of growing back in that location on top. The Red Sea type I can still live with where it's located.

Good choice Stuart. The Pseudochromis would also be a good choice and come in a lot of colors. I have a yellow one - always in & out of the rock and doesn't bother my clowns.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:40 PM
Genuine reef addict

My diadema pseudochromis (old pictures):

Old 01/07/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Her are the horses...
Male

Female

You can see the white tip on her tail - well that is now an inch up her body, but appears to be improving slowly.

Donna53W - finding a vet that could treat her was tough, but after a few phone calls someone new someone etc... Yes, they are WC horses. A risk I know, but CB are pretty hard to find here at the best of times & they were just beautifully coloured so we took the punt.

Reefmack - you asked about the colours of the clowns should that mixed pair breed - I would think you would get everything from the orange to the black & various variations of brown in between. The latter probably most prevalent, but that is a bit of a guess
Old 01/07/2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

I got my TDS1 in the mail today, it is by Hanna Instruments. The reading on a glass of tapwater was 196? Don't know if this is good or bad, I know it is supposed to be 0, but just wondering how bad that was.

I also traded three golf ball sized turbos and a GSP that was softball sized to my LFS for a yellow headed goby. Hopefully he will clean up my sand for me! The turbos were starved because my algae stopped growing on the glass, and the GSP was just not what I really wanted, so I took a piece off and traded the rest.