Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Magnesium Levels

Here are my stats:
Alk 3.5 meq/L
pH 8.15
Phosphates <.01
Calcium 480
Nitrate 0
Sal 1.025
Mg +1500

I recently tested my Calcium for the first time in while a week ago and it was off the scale so I stop adding it with my 2-part. It is coming down, now at 480. My Mg levels never seem to come down though. I thought it might of had something to do with the high Calcium levels but after bringing it down and still not being able to bring the Mg levels below 1500 is leading me to believe that there isn't any correlation. The test kit seems like a very new one from Salifert. It actually is a Cu test box that has a sticker saying "Because we were short on boxes for Mg, we used this Cu box" something like that. Not really having any issues with the tank right now, a little hair algae is all. Any way to get the Mg down, or should I not worry about it.

Thanks, Adam
Old 01/05/2008, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

I would say water changes unless your new water has that high of a mg level. might want to ask in the chemistry forum.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:31 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Yes, water changes and time. Its not a good idea to suppliment things without testing often until you figure out what your tank is using up.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/05/2008, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

I do a water change once a month. Does the magnesium accumulate? I probably should test the magnesium from my water change water as well and see what that is.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:57 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Thats a good idea. Checking fresh saltwater shows inaccurate levels such as the high alk/low calcium I am finding in the last couple buckets of Reef Crystals and the extremely high mag that I found in Oceanic salt a couple years ago. Usually its not necessary to suppliment mag if you do enough water changes, same with calcium and alk depending on what you keep in your tanks.

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/05/2008, 02:50 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I accidently raised my mag to 1500. The only way I could get it down was frequent WC.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I have never dosed any Mag...anyone know what could cause it to be so high???
Old 01/05/2008, 04:58 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

What kind of salt do you use?

Old 01/06/2008, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

Reef Crystals
Old 01/06/2008, 02:39 AM
Blue

The Mag is definitely not in the Reef Crystals. I'd have a buddy over with another Mag test kit to double check your readings before you do anything drastic.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

Magnesium and calcium are related in the ratio of 3:1 so if magnesium is high calcium will also be high.

~Steve~
Old 01/06/2008, 10:17 AM
Big Boy Pants

I see no reason to worry about high magnesium levels. Let them come down on there own.

I have been running my MAG levels high 1500+ to combat a little bryopsis in my tank. It seems to be working with no ill effects to other life.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 01/06/2008, 10:29 AM
CMAS Member!

I agree, no major changes...let it come sown on its own...also you can refill the syringe and get an idea how much over 1500 you are.
hope this helps.
Carl
Old 01/08/2008, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Re: Magnesium Levels

Quote:
Originally posted by saleenpwr88
Here are my stats:
Alk 3.5 meq/L
pH 8.15
Phosphates <.01
Calcium 480
Nitrate 0
Sal 1.025
Mg +1500

I recently tested my Calcium for the first time in while a week ago and it was off the scale so I stop adding it with my 2-part. It is coming down, now at 480. My Mg levels never seem to come down though. I thought it might of had something to do with the high Calcium levels but after bringing it down and still not being able to bring the Mg levels below 1500 is leading me to believe that there isn't any correlation. The test kit seems like a very new one from Salifert. It actually is a Cu test box that has a sticker saying "Because we were short on boxes for Mg, we used this Cu box" something like that. Not really having any issues with the tank right now, a little hair algae is all. Any way to get the Mg down, or should I not worry about it.

Thanks, Adam
once you have exhausted the syringe, you can re fill it then add that reading to 1500. check over in the reef chemistry forum, but that may not be an accurate reading as MG tests are subject to noise

no need to stop dosing 2part unless you are adding Epsom or mag flake to the CA part
Old 01/08/2008, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

My reef cyrstals comes out to about 800ppm mg when mixed fresh unless you got all the extra mg that was missing from my bag i dont think that is your problem
Old 01/08/2008, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm still not sure how my Mag is that high. I am going to start doing weekly water changes and see what happens from there. I need to find out what is getting it that high though.