Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 12:22 AM
clams are your friends.

Blah blah blah....

So how's the Naso doing? Would love to hear it's still recovering. If a sick fish is eating it's generally a sign they will beat whatever they have.

Re: Garlic-- there is no proof that garlic does anything to boost immune system in fish. What it does tend to do is stimulate feeding/appetite. Fish seem to like it just like people. As I said before, a fish that's eating will have a stronger immune system, which means they will much better chance of recovering from disease or injury, so the truth about garlic lies probably somewhere in the middle between "miracle cure" and "worthless." Good luck with the Naso!
Old 01/04/2008, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

It did not look like the fish ever had ick. The Naso is a shy fish and the white spots naturally appear when they are scared....At least in the juveniles.

My Naso still spots during light changes and he is a very healthy juvenile fish. Mine loves strips of dried brown or green algae and also nibbles on the spirulina being fed to his tank mates.

I have a false percula that had ick show up shortly after bringin him home. I soaked his food in garlic daily and the ick was gone in a few days and has never returned. Now i soak all my fishes food in garlic once or twice a week just for the heck of it. I figure it cant hurt.

Good luck with the Naso...They are beautiful fish.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonTang
jadeguppy

Sorry but his personal comment posted early was totally disrespectful and your saying i'm flaming. Just because it's his thread doesn't mean whatever he says goes.

Moontang, Are you just trying to get 50 post so you can BUY/Sale/trade? Get the facts before you go name calling.

What you call that?? The thing is if he was really smart he would have looked at my profile and saw that i registered in JUN2006 and only have 45 posts in total.

Like kau_cinta_ku asked where's a picture of this fish. Anybody that has a fish that they are so proud of would have plenty of pictures especially if they could pet it. No?? I know i would ask my wife to take some pictures of me doing it.

You know Moon you are right. I should not have said that and I did assume you where trying to get 50 post and be funny or what ever while doing it. I mean why else would a person pop in and say what you said?

I did say I was sorry if I took you wrong. So here is another sorry I am sorry for making the post about your just trying to get 50 post. BUT, You are still the jerk. The reason is you started off flaming me. When you made a repost you had nothing to say but bad and how everyone else is wrong. You have still not said you are sorry for being a jerk. That is the diffrence between me and you. I will stand up and say sorry. You are immature and just want to talk crap till no one even reads what you say. SO when I am faced with people like you I just say sorry for what for my wrong doings (and mean it) and turn my head and watch you destroy your credibility. Good Luck and God Bless =-)

P. S. I do have pictures from when I first got the fish if you would read. I said I would send a invite from my kodak webpage. I will take some new pictures so you can see I still have the fish.

If you want to flame from now on I will not even notice you are arround. If you want to say sorry and drop it we can be friends. Up to you.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I am home. I had to reply to moon first so I can sit and think about what I found when I got home.

Here we go. My brother said the whole time I have been gone that Everything is growing FAST. He said I was going to be happy. Well, I walked in and the first thing I did is go look at my frag tank where the Tang is. OMG There is brown algae EVERYWHERE. IT IS FREAKING HUGE. I called him and went over the list and what he did/added to my tank. He said he was feeding and adding like I told him. Well, I looked at the food and almost The whole can is gone. Then I asked about the Garlic. And where was it @? He said I ran out. I was like WHAT? I had a 32 oz bottle and a 16 or so oz bottle half full. He use All the 16 oz and like a 1/4 of the 32? He just dumped a bit in without mesuring. So I tested my tank and Everything is off. Cal, alk, are low. Eveything else is High. Not real bad but high. I will NEVER let anyone take care of my tank again.

Ok, you want to know about the Tang and my frags? I lost 2 frags of Ring of fire.(about 25 poylps) Everything else looks Really good but a few Green implosions that are covered in Alage. I can even see them. The fish Looks FAT as crazy. He still has some spots but he has a lot better color now. The ick/spots are still there. But there is nothing on any of his fins. Just on his body. Anyway here are the pictures everyone has been waiting for + some shots of the Algae. Good thing my Main Tank is almost hands free or I would hate to see what my brother would have did to it.

My PPE Frag

Old 01/05/2008, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

I am going to move everything to my main tank till I can get my frag tank fixed.

How do I get this algae out of my tank? Maybe I need make a new post.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Here is pictures of the Blue tang that JUST took. I cant get a good shot. I can not get the old pics off my Kodak Webpage unless I buy some and they send me the picture on a mug Haha. But, I can send a invite if you want to look at them.

Every time I would go to take the picture he would move. But as you can see all my fish swim up and want some loving.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your frag tank... on the bright side, your tangs are beautiful!

As for the algae, I would siphon as much as possible, do some big water changes and run GFO. Unfortunately it might be a battle.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

what is GFO?
Old 01/05/2008, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

granulated ferrous oxide= GFO =Phosphate remover
Old 01/05/2008, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

This Is a tuff thread!

There are a lot of cynical people watching this thread.

when this thread was first posted I had just finished cycling my new 240g sys I put In a porcupine puffer that I had purchased from my local fs In two days he started to get Ick.
I have had ick In past systems before and had success and failures so I was looking for a new miracle cure. I put In a search for Ick and came across this thread when the pics of the naso first were posted.
I pm flybynight to ask him what he was using and how much. He replied Immediately and from my previous experience his advise was on the money.
I couldn't get garlic guard for four days but I immediately started soaking all food In crushed garlic and saw the Ick stop in Its tracks. Within two days of receiving the Garlic guard I saw the Ick starting to go away. I have been In the hobby for a long time and had Ick many times and spent a lot of money on all kinds of remedies and I will swear by garlic.

I hope from my post everyone will see that some good came out of this thread and the bickering will end.

thanks flybynight for the help.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Thank you very much HDFATB for you input. I am very gald it worked. I am glad you posted your feelings as well. I was feeling all alone in the world haha.

Just so people know, I only argued my point because of my past success. Not because I like to be up in anyones face. I do not come to this site to prove everyone wrong. I come here to learn and to teach. I do A LOT more Learning than teaching haha.

I debate to learn. Not to make people mad. What kind of world would this be if everyone did what they where told and never questioned if they where doing is right or wrong?
Old 01/05/2008, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Flybynight

I think you oughta rename this "The Garlic Thread" :-)

Or maybe not.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

beautiful looking fish, but looks skinny with the caved in belly.

don't you love the way they eat out of your hand though. my hippo is still to shy but my clowns will nibble at my fingers when food is around.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Nice Find or The Garlic Thread....... Kinda goes together =-)
Old 01/05/2008, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Naso is looking much better! Sorry about the frag tank. That is a nice zoa to have lost.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Well, the good thing about the ring of fire. I have thousands of them haha. So the 25 is very minor. I got my ppe frag cleaned up and doing well in the main tank. I built a new/bigger frag rack a bit ago so I cleaned all those frags also. Everything is going to be just fine.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

In that case, how about sending some my way.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Pay for shipping, box, and heatpack MR teacher =-)
Old 01/06/2008, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

do you have an attack plan for your algae? I recently added a TX5 unit and had an algae outbreak in about 2 days later...none of my parameters really changed...no nitrates/phosphates, etc....any tips Garlic Guru??