Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

pics of pvc manifolds

looking for pics of diy manifolds plumbed to the return lines...
i will probrably build one using pvc fittings and 3 globe valves with bard fittings to feed my phosban reactor/chiller/misc. to cut down on using multiple pumps.

using a eheim 1262 for the return pump.

thanks.

Old 01/05/2008, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

please.....anyone?
Old 01/05/2008, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

tagging along.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

I tried something similar to this with a previous setup and it was nothing but a big headache. first of all, you are looking at a huge pressure loss due to the angles and valves, etc, and adjusting one loop of the system throws off the whole system (lose flow everywhere else) IMO you would need a much bigger pump than the 1262 to run a system like this. They seem like it would be better...but it really isn't.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

the thing is i dont need 900gph so i have some head loss to spare...

the pump is going up 3-4ft into a 50 breeder with a 1" drain....

but if you said that i adjust 1 valve and gotta adjust all the other ones do sound like a PITA.....

just would like a few others inputs before i forget about this idea.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

so i have a maxijet 1200 feeding both a calcium reactor and a phosban reactor, with a needle valve on the output of the calcium reactor and a ball valve on the output of the phosban. i can keep both with consistent flow with a minimum of adjustments.

my main pump feeds a manifold across the top of the tank with six 3/4" drops. it is split to feed my refugium, and then there's a bleeder line going back to the sump to take up the excess flow. it also has another outlet to drain to a bucket for water changes. i've got plenty of head room left to feed a frag tank.

as long as you don't really care too much about exactly how much flow goes where, this sort of setup works fine. i'd love to be able to figure out how to T off another manifold that would supply the things that do care about how much flow they have, and have better control over them individually. i've settled on two pumps to accomplish this, though.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Manifolds like the on above are fine for fish rooms but are difficult to pull off under a cluttered cabinet. I like to allow more room for my equipment and tuck all plumbing out of the way.

Here is a shot of my most recent manifold.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/05/2008, 08:30 PM
Reefaholic

For you guys running these manifolds to numerous pieces of equipment, where do you have everything outputting? Does everything output separately back into the main display? Or does everything tee back into the return line downstream at some point? Or do you have it all looping back to the sump?
Old 01/05/2008, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

I have everything re-entering the sump. I am using one for the calcium reactor, phasban reactor and one to purge excess flow. I also have a Y with a union valve right off of the return pump feeding my skimmer. The other two outputs are the returns to the tank.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:08 PM
Reefaholic

I thought about looping it back to the sump but then i'd be rechilling water that just passed through the chiller. I also thought about each piece of equipment having its own output back to the tank but that would look too cumbersome. Has anyone ever tried teeing it back into the return line downstream so that it outputs all through one common pipe?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

For me that pic is 1 of my 2 manifolds. I have 2 pumps and the bigger of the two feeds this one. My HOPE is that manifold will feed the fuge, Phosban reactor, a relief line to the sump if there's any back pressure, a UV sterilizer and finally one of the tank returns. If I have any issues with amount of throughput, I can use the output of the UV and Phosban reactor to feed the fuge.

The 2nd pump feeds a smaller one (not pictured) - that one just goes to the other return on the tank and a back-pressure relief line that back to the sump.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

mr squid....care to put up a pic......im not 100% understanding how you have it set up.....

with all the valves going....was it a pain to adjust flow for each output?

dsanfilippo was saying once you adjust 1 valve.....it throws off all the others?
Old 01/06/2008, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Yea...if u are close to the max output of your pump, and you need to send more flow to say a chiller that requires a higher head pressure to get the necessary gpm to operate correctly, you have to shut down a larger amount on a larger flow circuit, such as a display return. It has to do with the way pump pressure curves for centrifugal pumps are. IMO these systems are more expensive and energy consuming than other alternatives. The only effective way to run several outputs from a single pump manifold is to have an oversized pump running to ensure sufficient pressure available to run all the devices.