Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Fluidized bed filters

I am trying to figure out the final setup for the saltwater system at work and I am trying to figure out whether we should use a fluidized bed filter. We will already have a big trickle box of bioballs (14 gallons of bioballs) and may be using live rock in the system. We will also be including a Coralife Super Skimmer (up to 220 gallons) as well as a large mechanical canister filter. The system is 250-300 gallons. I have heard that if the power goes out and the sand is sitting for a while it can become toxic very quickly.

Do we need it in addition to the other filtration?
Is it worth the risks on this setup?
Old 01/04/2008, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

no need for a fluidized bed, no need for bioballs (14 gallons!) if you use live rock. In fact I prefer no biological filtration other than live rock/live sand and a huge skimmer A coralife 220 is not even close to the skimmer a 250-300 gallon system would need, I would look for a good used unit or get a DAS EX-3 or maybe one of the new marine solutions (SWC?) extreme skimmers with the sicce pumps, a 200 or 250 for that sized tank. A good skimmer will prove to be the best investment you ever make in your system.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

We already have the Super Skimmer so that is the one we will be using. And we already have the box for the bioballs (part of all of the systems) and the bioballs, so the bioballs will be used too.

We also already have the fluidized bed filter, but if the risks of toxicity are too high and have enough biological filter in other forms we may opt to skip the FBF.

I agree that live rock is the best and that is how I would do it, but this is the saltwater system in a pet store. We need to be able to pull fish without spending five minutes removing live rock before we can even get to the fish.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

I understand Another option (assuming a sump) is to put live rock in the sump, in fact you could put a bunch down there, light it, make a refugium and sell it out of there at the same time That would keep the top tank open as well. If you do not have a sump, then just keep up on the water changes, and as a store I am sure that you know that.
In addition if you are planing on keeping lots of fish in that tank and having lots of turnover (more than you would for a home display tank) then the fluidized be might be useful. I would not worry about toxicity, but just keep in mind that the bacteria will be dead in about 6 hours or so of the unit stopping.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

It is a whole system. Three rows of 4-6 tanks each. The sump is almost impossible to get in and out of, so any live rock down there will have to be left down there. The live rock, if used, will be one or two large pieces in each tank to function as live rock and decor. The sump is 90 gallons, but needs to be kept with only 60-70 gallons to allow overflow if the pump is off. The pump is 3600 gph and the head height is about 8'. It will also be powering the large canister and FBF (if used) so flow will be slowed even more.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

why not just hook a small powerhead up to the FBF instead? They do not need massive flow.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

He (the owner) is wanting to keep extra equipment to a minimum.

Wouldn't that much flow simply blow even a little sand right through the FBF? So if we used the FBF shouldn't it be hooked up to a separate, lower flow pump anyways? This would also keep the flow up from the main pump.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Is this true?
Old 01/05/2008, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Yes, I would use a small powerhead to power it, not a diverted huge pump that would shoot the sand everywhere.