Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

dottybacks

Can you keep two different species of these in the same tank. I was interested in getting an orchid dottyback (Fridmani) and a sunrise dottyback (Flavivertex). Also, are these fish reefsafe, and invert safe? I know the orchid is, but the sunrise.

Will either help to control flatworms?

40g. Breeder w/sump/fuge
Old 12/30/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Also, could I put two orchid dottybacks in the same tank? Would they form a mated pair, or just fight?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

THX
Old 12/31/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

the general consensus is 2 dotty backs in one tank doesn't work. I have heard of the fridmani being passive enough to be added with another dottyback.

I have a cypho dottyback (Pseudochromis mccullochi) she is VERY passive and hides all day. I wouldn't hesitate to add another one with her. Im looking for a male but they are hard to find!
Old 12/31/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

I know someone who has 2 orchid dottybacks in a 120. He said he thought I could get a pair as well. He thought they might form a mated pair. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Old 12/31/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

I woudn't try those two esp. in your size tank. Its a recipe for piscine war. P. flavitrex is generally more aggressive than P. fridmani, & this will be excacerbated in close confines. Two orchids in say a 75 or 90 would work, with plenty of LR with numerous hiding places.
For your tank, the correct answer is one of either species in the tank. And only one.

Matthew
Old 01/01/2008, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

In my 100gal reef I have a Striped Pseudochromis, ( Sankey's Dottyback),and a Blue Flavivertex Pseudochromis (sunrise dottyback) they have been in the same tank for over a year, they each hang out on different ends of the tank. I have never seen any fighting. I did add both at the same time
Old 01/01/2008, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

i added a dotty back about 2 months ago, a huge mistake. within 2 days he started fighting with my wrasses, killed my watchman and my jawfish. He really messed things up. i also got him thinking he would hunt the worms, he did but he ended up messing up the balance in my tank, i had to take him out,

they really don't like other similar sized fish.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:04 PM
Team RC Member

what species was yours 01saleen?

I think it really depends. my orchid dottyback is great with other fish, never tried it with other dottybacks. the sankey's dottyback (black and white striped) are so mellow they can be kept in groups in even smaller tanks.

mudskipper, I think a 40 may be on the small side for two dottybacks, but if you want to try it, I'd mix the orchid with sankey's dottyback.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

I had a strawberry or red dottyback. He just was overly aggressive for some reason, i knew they were kind of aggressive with similar sized fish but i wasn't expecting that much out of him...
Old 01/04/2008, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I ended up getting an orchid dottyback, and a Canary Blenny. Both were aquacultured from www.Saltwaterfish.com They should arrive on thursday, and lets hope they are friendly to each other and the clowns. Thanks for your help.