Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

cheap sand alternative

This is a thread on the newbie forum. Just want to see what you all think about it.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 01/03/2008, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

wish i could find some.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:17 PM
Spine Straightener

Southdown sand would be fine but I doubt that you can find it. As far as silica (play) sand is concerned I wouldn't use it. As far as sand turning live even if it isn't live sand, you bet it does. If you've got live rock in your tank it's just a matter of time before it goes live.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I thought they were doing away with southdown a few years ago. I know the Mobile club had a pallet of it delivered at one time, actually they had to pick it up from somewhere but in the end it cost everyone something like $10 per bag. I use to use it. I had my parents bring some down from PA one time.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Unless they brought it back, Southdown is history. As I recall, they found out about us reefers, who represented a large percentage of their customer base while they didn't even know it, and were intrigued that they could have been making a lot more money with a little repackaging, but that brand had to disappear before they could try selling it under a new name at higher prices. That was the rumor at the time, anyway. I don't know what "reef" brand, if any, it may have become. At any rate, they did at least stop production of Southdown a few years ago.
Even when it was in full production, it was awfully hard to find it. The stores of the chain that mainly carried it usually didn't have any, and you had to order it special.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Yea, that is why this article intrigued me. Southdown can't be found. I may take a trip to the store and check out this. It sounds very similar to what is sold as aragonite or oolite (sp?) sand.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Southdown Tropical Playsand is gone unless you already have it and kept the bags and/or pallets.

Southdown had a contract with Carib-Sea to not sell to anyone for aquarium use...hence why all the bags of Southdown say not for aquarium use. They were un-intentionally breaking the contract by still selling to Home Depot, etc. and knowing reefers and clubs and aquariums were buying it. They quit selling it and start repacking it and named it Yard-Right....and the same thing happened. Now they don't sell it at all...but I hear you can buy a truck bed full, or a dump truck if you want quantity. I have there number somewhere here if you are interested...just don't mention aquarium use and they'll do business with you.

As far as silica based substrate,

Doc hit it on a T.

Pool filter sand/play sand = 20/20 Silica Sand = Bad news

Silica can fuel nuisance algae growth by increasing cell growth which strengthens the stem and leaf and also makes it disease resistant as well as resistant to nutrient toxicity and imbalance.

So you can see why it could fuel algae... be careful

I'm not saying that all people that use Silica based sands are experiencing outbreaks either...but when they do have an outbreak...if they do....then it will be a heck of an outbreak.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me

Last edited by JaredWaites; 01/04/2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Well I am sure ya'll will say its wrong, but I use pool filter sand. I have the usual breakout when my tank was set-up. I have not had any problems since, and I understand that problems are transient. But also, there are problems that RO/DI BB tanks have.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

I'm not saying its wrong to use it. I know it won't be a problem for any of your tank inhabitants....but I do think it could pose a problem if you were to have an algae outbreak. I think you'll be just fine...as long as you can maintain your tank and keep up with water changes.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 01/04/2008, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

The posting is not about filter sand or pool sand. That is what intrigued me. I have been following some of the debates about wether or not play sand, etc. actually leaches silica into the water, but that is another debate all together. The sand being used in the thread is crushed limestone. In some forms we call it aragonite sand, but in this packaging it costs about $4/ 50 lbs.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Oh...well I saw some posts about silica based sand and just wanted to jump in on that.

As far as crushed limestone...that's an awesome idea...especially after doing a vinegar test and having it fizz...I imagine its a great alternative.

Old 01/04/2008, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

I just so happen to have 4 bags of it in my garage.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Are you using it in your tank?
Old 01/05/2008, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

What's the name of it again Heather? I know its crushed/pulverized limestone, but the brand name of it?

Old 01/05/2008, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11525930#post11525930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jadeguppy
Are you using it in your tank?
I used it in my 125 when I had it setup, so right now I am not using it 28 and really dont plan on it. I prefer a little thicker grained sand.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11526729#post11526729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by usmcsgt
I used it in my 125 when I had it setup, so right now I am not using it 28 and really dont plan on it. I prefer a little thicker grained sand.
What's the name on the bags and where did you get it?

Old 01/05/2008, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11526824#post11526824 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JaredWaites
What's the name on the bags and where did you get it?
Its southdown, what else did you think it was. and I got it in North Carolina.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Oh...we're talking about crushed limestone not aragonite.

Southdown is out of production and is normally bagged as Oolitic Sugar Fine Carib-Sea. Going for 18-22 dollars a bag...and the bags are only 30 lbs...

Old 01/05/2008, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Aragonite is a term for limestone. I think that is where some of the confusion comes from. The thread above provides pictures of some types that people have used. I haven't had a chance to check locally, but am hopeful.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Aragonite is a TYPE of limestone, just like calcite and dolomite are different types.

Aragonite is so useful to us, and much more so than those others, because the molecular structure of this type of limestone makes the calcium a lot more readily bioavailable when it dissolves into the water. If ever you have a choice between using dolomite and aragonite, always go with the aragonite.

I guess you guys already knew that, but just in case...